Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-27-2014, 01:45 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

I needed lights in our basement and had dimming LEDs put in. I am happy with how they work and the "recycles dryer sheet factor". I am nearing some amp and code restrictions that would add a hidden cost to inefficient bulb usage. The electric stove and dryer have to go!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2014, 05:38 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post
A CFL bulb has 0.4-0.7 mg of mercury.
The amount of mercury in a CFL is ... 4-5 milligrams - See more at: Mercury Risk in CFLs: The Facts

I suppose the number might have changed over time, but of course it was the older CFLs that we replaced with LEDs, not ones we just purchased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post
I wouldn't recommend adding chopped CFL bulbs to your salad for extra crunch, but the risks are still exaggerated a bit.
Our cats don't eat salad. And that really points out the real problem with most of the sources of information on this: They're focused on the risk to people, not pets.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:59 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1409511507.590837.jpg

I just replaced about 40 incandescent bulbs with LEDs from Ikea.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-31-2014, 02:12 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidler4 View Post

I just replaced about 40 incandescent bulbs with LEDs from Ikea.

40! Why?

-ERD50
Old 08-31-2014, 03:16 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

In our new place we have 16 recessed ceiling lights - they take the BR30 bulbs

Lowes used to sell the 4 pack of them - I'm hoping they bring it back since I have some Lowes coupons and energy rebates for my state - the rebate only works if the package cost more than 14 dollars

As we remodeled the bathrooms - I looked at getting LED lights over the vanities - way too much - had to go halogen - still searching for G6 base replacement bulbs - maybe next year!
Old 08-31-2014, 07:24 PM   #66

I love my Cree LEDs. Could not stand CFLs, didn't like the light color, or the fact they take time to get fully bright.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:30 AM   #67

Sadly, my 8 month old "Ecosmart" 40W equivalent LED bulb has failed.

I'm still not sold on this. I like the concept, but if they cannot get the electronics to be reliable, then fuggetaboutit.

In other words, I would not rush out to replace those cathedral ceiling bulbs with LEDs until you can assure they are being replaced with high quality versions. I know the version I had was budget, so that factors in. Cree should be quality, but I read a few posts up about them failing too? I hope not. (Disclaimer: I live in Cree country, so I cheer for this company.)
Old 12-13-2014, 10:52 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

I think the LED bulbs are still on the bleeding edge of technology. I'm slowly using them in high usage areas. The last ones I bought (2 floods for $20 total) are good but they do take a fraction of a second to turn on, i.e. a slight annoying delay.

I figure the tech will settle out in a few years and the prices will reflect that fact.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:54 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I'm still not sold on this. I like the concept, but if they cannot get the electronics to be reliable, then fuggetaboutit.
That's about where I am with it too. We have CFL bulbs outside and some inside but no LED's yet. They're electronic, and I can't abide the thought of paying $28 for one and then seeing them for $5 in eighteen months and $1 two years after that.

And I see enough reports of early failures to tell me that while the concept may be sound the manufacturing processes/tolerances are not.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:50 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
That's about where I am with it too. We have CFL bulbs outside and some inside but no LED's yet. They're electronic, and I can't abide the thought of paying $28 for one and then seeing them for $5 in eighteen months and $1 two years after that.

And I see enough reports of early failures to tell me that while the concept may be sound the manufacturing processes/tolerances are not.
If you don't mind buying from China you could source led bulbs from aliexpress - they have some par20 (?) bulbs that will fit our halogen track light lamps for way way cheaper than homer despot.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:55 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
If you don't mind buying from China you could source led bulbs from aliexpress - they have some par20 (?) bulbs that will fit our halogen track light lamps for way way cheaper than homer despot.
Thanks, but I've had my fill of cheap Chinese junk that quits the day after the warranty expires. I make an effort to avoid buying from China now for that reason.

It reminds me of the 1950's-'60's when "Made in Japan" was also a badge of inferiority. Japan sure turned that ship around and hopefully China will learn the same lesson.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:23 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

I've still got quite a stash of incandescents, so I'm sticking with them anywhere light quality matters. I use some CFLs in places where they don't get turned off and on too often, and I've got two less expensive LEDs in my garage door opener as an experiment. I still don't like the light given off by CFLs or most LEDs, although the LEDs seem to be making some progress. I've gone through a fair number of CFLs, and not one has even come close to the lifespans they've advertised.

I'm not worried about the pennies a day higher cost of incandescents. I worked hard for my money and choose to spend a little on quality lighting. If I need to I'll switch to cheaper bourbon to make up for it. Not cheap, just cheaper.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:03 AM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I still don't like the light given off by CFLs or most LEDs, although the LEDs seem to be making some progress.
I agree, and have been pleased with Cree LEDs in Soft White, which closely emulate the warm gold glow of a good ol' fashioned Tom Edison incandescent. But boy they are expensive (for now), so I only bought a few. I have yet to pry open my wallet for the 100W-like version. Like many, I'm waiting for the price to come down.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:04 AM   #74

We have some lamps which are constructed so that only smaller bulbs work. We have some LEDs that won't fit. Does anyone know of an online source for really high-quality LED bulbs, 1125 lumens (or there abouts), that are omni-directional and smaller than medium?
Old 12-14-2014, 07:08 AM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

I purchased 14 Cree 65w flood lights for all of my indoor can lighting last spring when they were on sale for $10/bulb. I have seen a noticeable difference in the electric bill of probably $20/mo as those are the main lights we use.

3 of them have failed. Took them back and got replacements from Home Depot without issue but for a product with a 10 year warranty that's pretty high failure in less than 1 year.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:39 AM   #76

Am easily confused with new terminology (new = 2000 and thereafter).

After the decision to use the US system versus Metric, Fahrenheit versus Centigrade etc... Calculator for Converting Degrees Centigrade (Celsius) to Fahrenheit
and spending much time learning conversion, I decided to stick to what I already knew.

So now... lumens... ach!
Here's the conversion:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lumens to Watts.jpg (25.7 KB, 184 views)
Old 12-16-2014, 07:43 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
We have some lamps which are constructed so that only smaller bulbs work. We have some LEDs that won't fit. Does anyone know of an online source for really high-quality LED bulbs, 1125 lumens (or there abouts), that are omni-directional and smaller than medium?
This comment got me thinking. First, it makes perfect sense for them to make LEDS the same size as the common A19 sized Edison bulb, so that it can be used anywhere. OTOH, new technology can benefit by taking advantage of different strengths/weaknesses.

So even though LEDs are more efficient than filament bulbs, and therefore produce less heat, that heat needs to be distributed because the LED can't handle temperatures anywhere near a red-to-white hot filament. Thermal management is a big deal for LED designers.

So maybe the LED bulb designers should take advantage of LED properties, and solve some of their heat dissipation problems at the same time? You can find LED panels, and these would spread the heat out much better. When I look at a typical desk lamp, there is about a 6" diameter area for the light. If the LEDs were spread out across that area, heat wouldn't be such a problem, and more light would be directed where you want it.

And the typical 'table lamp' could diffuse those LEDs over a 12" area, and provide better light than a bulb that needs to be diffused.

Of course, economies of scale come into play, but I think it would be more interesting if designers started thinking of new ways to use this new technology.

-ERD50
Old 12-16-2014, 08:34 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingmn View Post
I purchased 14 Cree 65w flood lights for all of my indoor can lighting last spring when they were on sale for $10/bulb. I have seen a noticeable difference in the electric bill of probably $20/mo as those are the main lights we use.

3 of them have failed. Took them back and got replacements from Home Depot without issue but for a product with a 10 year warranty that's pretty high failure in less than 1 year.

Did you have to show the receipt DW throws away almost all things that are not 'needed'... a warranty on a $10 item is not 'needed'....
Old 12-16-2014, 08:44 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Money View Post
I agree, and have been pleased with Cree LEDs in Soft White, which closely emulate the warm gold glow of a good ol' fashioned Tom Edison incandescent. But boy they are expensive (for now), so I only bought a few. I have yet to pry open my wallet for the 100W-like version. Like many, I'm waiting for the price to come down.
We have 4 of the Cree bulbs and have had them for about 6 months...So far, I love them, but they are a little pricey...but for the 3 way and the 10 year warranty, we will certainly come ahead.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:12 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Am easily confused with new terminology (new = 2000 and thereafter).

After the decision to use the US system versus Metric, Fahrenheit versus Centigrade etc... Calculator for Converting Degrees Centigrade (Celsius) to Fahrenheit
and spending much time learning conversion, I decided to stick to what I already knew.

So now... lumens... ach!
Here's the conversion:
The current "60W equivalent" Cree puts out 800 lumens and consumes 9.5W. That's 84 lumens/Watt, an improvement over the figures in the above table, which shows 60 lumens per Watt.