Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-04-2011, 08:45 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webzter View Post
Incandescent Bulbs Return to the Cutting Edge - NYTimes.com

although, of note, check out this from 2007

GE Announces Advancement in Incandescent Technology; New High-Efficiency Lamps Targeted for Market by 2010

compared to this from 2008

GE Suspends Development Of High-Efficiency Incandescent Bulbs Environmental Management & Energy News Environmental Leader

It looks like those free market companies freely decided that there was no more market in incandescents even though they were hitting 30% and they could fleece us more by moving their research dollars to LED and OLED (more likely, GE found or was offered another tax loophole for the move)
I misread the 30% efficiency number. It is a 30% improvement in efficiency over standard incandescents, not 30% absolute. So that means going from ~ 10% to 13%. I can believe that.

One reason they may have stopped, is that the law calls for further restrictions in 2020 (45L/Watt), and it doesn't look like there is any hope to reach that. So they probably just dropped research - by the time they got it to market it would be obsolete in a few years.

I'll try to hit your other points later, wanted to get that out for now.

-ERD50

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2011, 08:46 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
I can see why the manufacturers are supporting the cfl bulbs. why sell bulbs for 50cents or 25 cents when you can get people to pay 3. apiece and will last no longer than incandescent. I think this is just another ploy to get more money out of the consumers.
+1 - and the govt and 'greenies' are doing a lot o the guilt-trip marketing for them.

-ERD50

Old 06-04-2011, 08:54 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I'll try to hit your other points later, wanted to get that out for now.

-ERD50
Just a note, I made a couple edits to either try and clarify or expand on some of my points. It shouldn't affect the overall gist of the post or invalidate your follow on points though.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:06 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R
I would be interested in this too.

Being nearly terminally stodgy and old fashioned, I bought my first CFL bulb this week. I thought I should try to get used to them before they become mandatory. I guess they are OK but I am going to miss regular light bulbs.
Welcome to the nineties!
Old 06-04-2011, 11:12 AM   #25
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Welcome to the nineties!
Dang newfangled things!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:13 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Dang newfangled things!
Just remember, change isn't always good or for the better!
Old 06-04-2011, 11:40 AM   #27
Administrator

Quote:
Just remember, change isn't always good or for the better!
So true! What worries me is that it might be a little harder to read without incandescent bulbs, and I already have difficulties with aging vision.

Right now, I have a recessed light in the ceiling right over my favorite reading chair and it is usually the only light on in the house. The incandescent bulb providing this light right now is a 620 lumen, 65 watt GE indoor floodlight bulb and that works beautifully - - nice and bright light of a pleasing color, and right where I want it.

Hopefully I can find something that will provide equally bright light in a newfangled bulb. So far the 75 watt equivalent 1120 lumen bulb that I bought for a lamp (to try it) isn't terrible, but it is pretty yellowish and not very bright. Nice for mood lighting but nothing I would want to read by. I was surprised to find out its lumen value just now.

I guess they'll have to drag me, kicking and screaming, into the 21st century. I am trying and did just get my first smartphone (an iPhone) which is OK.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 06-04-2011, 11:51 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Hopefully I can find something that will provide equally bright light in a newfangled bulb. So far the 75 watt equivalent 1120 lumen bulb that I bought for a lamp (to try it) isn't terrible, but it is pretty yellowish and not very bright.
I got these
Amazon.com: Full Spectrum Light Bulb - ALZO 27W Compact Fluorescent - Case of 4 - Daylight Balanced 5500K - Pure White Light: Home Improvement
last summer, 4 for $21.47, and I think they are great for reading (maybe too bright for some people):

Product Specifications
Part Number:1069-55-04-FS Weight:3 Pounds Shape:SpiralBulb DetailsType of Bulb:Compact Fluorescent Light (CFL) Base Type:E26 Luminous Flux:1300 lm Wattage:27 watts Incandescent equivalent:100 watts Color Temperature:5500 Kelvin Color Rendering Index (CRI):91 Average Life:10000 hours Bulb Diameter:2.50 inches Bulb Length:6.5 inches

The first Amazon review is informative. Note the warning about taking a large socket.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #29

I've not had very good luck with the life span on these CFL's and note that several other people here have also been disappointed with CFL's in this regard. Seems like the initial high cost vs extended life doesn't hold water but then I read elsewhere that the cheapie CFL's are the ones that don't last very long. Anybody here have experience with buying the brand name expensive CFL's? Do they indeed last a lot longer than incandescent bulbs and cheapie CFL's?
Old 06-04-2011, 01:15 PM   #30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
I got these
Amazon.com: Full Spectrum Light Bulb - ALZO 27W Compact Fluorescent - Case of 4 - Daylight Balanced 5500K - Pure White Light: Home Improvement
last summer, 4 for $21.47, and I think they are great for reading (maybe too bright for some people):

Product Specifications
Part Number:1069-55-04-FS Weight:3 Pounds Shape:SpiralBulb DetailsType of Bulb:Compact Fluorescent Light (CFL) Base Type:E26 Luminous Flux:1300 lm Wattage:27 watts Incandescent equivalent:100 watts Color Temperature:5500 Kelvin Color Rendering Index (CRI):91 Average Life:10000 hours Bulb Diameter:2.50 inches Bulb Length:6.5 inches

The first Amazon review is informative. Note the warning about taking a large socket.
Thank you, thank you, thank you! Too bright for some people sounds great. I'll bookmark this thread and if I continue to have problems with the more usual CFLs (as I suspect), and if I can't find a floodlight bulb that works for me, then I'll order them.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 06-04-2011, 01:56 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Right now, I have a recessed light in the ceiling right over my favorite reading chair and it is usually the only light on in the house.
Whoa, I think you need to get one of these types:

We have two, and I cut mine down a bit so that it can be close to the book.

They come with special full-spectrum fluorescents.

Quote:
the cheapie CFL's are the ones that don't last very long. Anybody here have experience with buying the brand name expensive CFL's? Do they indeed last a lot longer than incandescent bulbs and cheapie CFL's?
I have some that I bought for $16 when they first came out, and they are still going strong on our ceiling fan (10 years now).

IMG_5697.jpg

I have one 25 watt incandescent in there because the others aren't instant on.

The one's I get for under a dollar last about as long as an incandescent.

The one's in the ceiling track lights are a pain to change, so what I do is use a CFL that has a proven track record, and move it to the ceiling. That is, if a CFL lasts two years, it's probably going to last another 4-8 years.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:34 PM   #32

Quote:
So true! What worries me is that it might be a little harder to read without incandescent bulbs, and I already have difficulties with aging vision.
I'd second GregLee's recommendation for a full spectrum bulb. Alternatively, stock up on incandescents if they're still available around you.

Lastly, I've mentioned before that I love the detail resolution on the LED spots I have. That may end up being a better solution either overhead or in a reading lamp.

As an aside, DWs uncle is a professional photographer. He uses CFL spots in his softboxes precisely because they don't provide good great contrast. That means they tend to smooth over wrinkles and make people look younger.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:29 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
.........As an aside, DWs uncle is a professional photographer. He uses CFL spots in his softboxes precisely because they don't provide good great contrast. That means they tend to smooth over wrinkles and make people look younger.
I think I'll put CFLs in my over the medicine cabinet mirror.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:48 PM   #34
Administrator

Thanks for the ideas, Webster and T-Al. Sounds like I have some good alternatives for reading.

I *did* discover one reassuring thing about CFL's. I got the kind that is supposed to go on instantly, and actually it seems to do that. So, I can use that type of bulb for those lights that I only turn on for a moment (like in the hallway, when I am on my way to bed at night, or in my broom closet when I just want it on for a second so I can find my broom). That's another problem solved.

I just use one bulb on a dimmer switch, but the only reason I dim it is to use it as a night light so I don't stumble if I get up at night. I could just buy a night light instead. Or, if I find a good alternative I could do that.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 06-04-2011, 03:51 PM   #35
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I think I'll put CFLs in my over the medicine cabinet mirror.
What a great idea! I might try that too. I really don't need to see any wrinkles. Also even though they may not be helpful for me when trying to read, still I think they look nice in my Tiffany-style lamps, because they give an old time, yellowish, fainter light that results in a nice old-timey look.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 06-04-2011, 04:59 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTravlin View Post
I've not had very good luck with the life span on these CFL's and note that several other people here have also been disappointed with CFL's in this regard. Seems like the initial high cost vs extended life doesn't hold water but then I read elsewhere that the cheapie CFL's are the ones that don't last very long. Anybody here have experience with buying the brand name expensive CFL's? Do they indeed last a lot longer than incandescent bulbs and cheapie CFL's?
Out of about 30 cfls, 27 lasted about 3 years. 12 were replaced at 3 years with LEDs. Of the remaining 15 or so, all are still going strong at 4+ years.

They do better in some situations than others, and it is always possible for any type of light to go bust before it should (and others to last much longer than the average).
Old 06-04-2011, 05:08 PM   #37
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
We have laid in a supply of the old bulbs, too. In garage or closet, new ones are ok. But in the reading areas of my home, we only like the old ones.

Same here. I got them on e-bay and when they were delivered the UPS guy made a comment about how many light bulbs he's delivering recently. Guess we're not alone

We have LEDs now in recessed cans in the ceiling and use some other low footprint lights, but I want the real deal for reading and at my desk.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:19 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I now own 5 LED bulbs that fit in the standard incadescent fittings. One is for a tasklight of my computer area. The other 4 are for a ceiling fan. I'm quite happy by the light that they give off. I'm looking for if/when they come small enough and brighter to fit in the dome light fixtures. The only thing I don't like is knowing the fact that I may expire before them.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:47 PM   #39

I did a quick survey when I went to Home Depot. They have a bay of incandescents. I don't know if I missed them before or if they're new. Definitely limited selection, but they are in stock and as cheap as ever. For anyone not looking to make the switch, I'd wager $200 would get you really far on a stockpile.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:12 PM   #40

Been reading this post with great interest. Way back in 1993 I was president of our condo association. In an effort to cut expenses I conntacted Florida Power and Light who recommended that we change all the bulbs in the common lighting fixtures to CFL's. Back then they didn't have the screw-in bulbs but were 4 watt plug-in types and the fixtures had to be retrofitted for these plug in bulbs. That cost us some money. The retrofit plus the CFL cost us a lot but we payed it back in one year with the savings in electricity. Also, we eliminated residents complaining about light bulbs burning out all the time and having maintenance people changing them out.

Say what you want, but they save power and last three or four time longer than regular bulbs. Our local power company does free energy audits and when they do they give you a dozen CFL's just to promote. If you talk to them nicely, they will give you another dozen. Every light in my house is a CFL except for the lighting under kitchen cabinets and on the plant shelves. These are halogen as they are good for 20000 hrs. Don't have to ever worry about getting up 10 ft on a ladder to change these bulbs. In fact, halogen bulbs might replace CFL in the future.