Join Early Retirement Today

Income Form IRS Numbers
Old 09-13-2019, 08:33 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Income Form IRS Numbers

Can someone tell me all the IRS Form numbers that would indicate income or a transfer of funds that a person would have to claim as income. For example 1099 0r 1040/W-2. What other form numbers indicate income and a need to claim on tax filings?

It is something I would like to know the answer to before I ask the question to a tax/financial induvial.

Thanks

street is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2019, 08:59 AM   #2

K1.

However, even if you do not get a form and you have income, you have to report it.

FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Can someone tell me all the IRS Form numbers that would indicate income or a transfer of funds that a person would have to claim as income. For example 1099 0r 1040/W-2. What other form numbers indicate income and a need to claim on tax filings?

It is something I would like to know the answer to before I ask the question to a tax/financial induvial.

Thanks
interesting question......I'm sure there are others but can't think of any at the moment. The 1099 is most common........most have suffixes like INT,DIV, B,K, G,MISC, etc. At least one has a prefix SSA (for SS).
If you have a rental, you may not get a tax form from yourself but hopefully you have the info.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:10 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

The W2, K1, and all the various 1099s are the most common.

See section D of https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4012.pdf for one list of common income types.
SevenUp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
K1.

However, even if you do not get a form and you have income, you have to report it.

Not trying to NOT, pay taxes as your intention to your answer/question.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:11 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Problem is sometimes you get money and there is no form, yet this often has to be claimed as income. So just knowing the form name doesn't mean much, especially as the post office can lose a form in the mail.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:20 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips...know/L0h4j5DZQ
You will need info about health insurance and any Premium credits you had.
The 1040 form shows all the types of income you report. They are reported to you on
forms or you use your records of income to find gross amounts received. See this info under general reporting https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small...mation-returns for form numbers.
I didn't find the new forms and schedules to be very intuitive-mostly I let the software do its thing.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:27 PM   #8

Another way to look at things is that most money that comes into your financial life is taxable income unless it isn't.

Examples of money coming into your life that isn't taxable income to you in the current year:

1. Gifts.
2. Inheritances.
3. Refunds and rebates.
4. Reimbursements for work expenses.
5. Dividends, interest and capital gains which occur inside of IRAs, 401(k)s and other similar tax-deferred vehicles.

There may be other categories but the above is all I can think of at the moment.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 12:10 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

My grandfather kept a separate jar on his desk, anytime that he saw a penny on the ground he would pick it up and when he got home he would put that penny into the jar. Every month he would empty the jar and give the money to his church.

If he were to keep the penny, he would then need to report it to the IRS and pay taxes on it. Which was why he refused to keep found money for himself.

Every penny that you make needs to be reported.
Old 09-14-2019, 12:16 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

^^^^ Technically, he would have reported it as income and then would be allowed an offsetting deduction for a charitable contribution if he itemized deductions... if he took the standard deduction then he understated his income.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 12:46 PM   #11

Thanks everyone.
Old Yesterday, 09:52 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

got my first ever W-2G the other day. woo-hoo. fortunately (or not), found W/L statements to cover it

drb391 is offline   Reply With Quote