Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-21-2015, 11:28 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Twelve new habits or skills a year!!! Dang!

I'm delighted if I just develop one!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2015, 11:32 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I've been working on my procrastination and it seems to have pretty much ended there.
Me too, but I've kept at it and have developed it quite a bit. Just don't give up

Old 10-22-2015, 04:42 AM   #23

Walk at least 45 min everyday. If I don't do it I feel I'm missing something. Even whe travelling long distances I'll get it done a couple of segments. Nothing like a walk after driving 600 miles.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:02 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchina View Post

Nash031, care to share your core strength routine?
The one I'm currently doing is here:

The Standard Core Routine - Video Demonstration ‚Äď Strength Running

While aimed at runners, it hits everything that's important.

1. Modified Bicycle: lie on your back and hold one leg up in the air. Your thigh should be perpendicular to your body and your shin parallel to the ground. Hold your other leg 2-3 inches off the ground. Hold for several seconds and switch legs. Make sure your lower back is in a neutral position during the entire exercise. You can put one hand in the small of your back to gauge this: make sure your back neither presses down or lifts up from your hand.
  2. Plank: lie on your stomach and prop your weight on your forearms and toes. Keep a straight line from your head to your feet and hold this position for the entire exercise.
  3. Bridge: lie on your back with your feet flat on the ground. Lift your hips so there is a straight line from your shoulders to your knees. Extend one leg straight out, hold for several seconds, then put it back down on the ground and repeat. Make sure your hips donít dip or your butt sags to the ground.
  4. Side Plank: on your side, lift your body so your weight is on one forearms and the side of one foot. There should be a straight diagonal line from your head to your feet. I usually do 10 lateral leg raises during this exercise as an advanced form of the exercise.
  5. Modified Bird Dog: in a table position, lift your left arm so itís parallel to the ground. At the same time, lift your right leg so your thigh is parallel to the ground and your shin is perpendicular. Your knee should be bent at 90 degrees and your glute muscle activated. Hold for several seconds and switch sides.
  6. Supine Leg Lift: lie on your back with your weight on your elbows and heels, lift your hips and keep a straight line from your toes to your shoulders. Lift one leg about 8 inches off the ground, hold for several seconds, and repeat with the opposite leg.
I'm doing 2 sets at 60s each exercise right now, no break between exercises and a few minutes between sets.

There's a video at the link that shows some modifications to make things harder if you want. No weights or equipment required. It's a good one!

Key to a good core routine is holding position, rather than reps like crunches, etc. Train the muscles the way they get used!
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:55 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

This is a nice thread! Full of great, motivating ideas.

My productive habits as of now:

1) Put away last night's dishes each morning as the coffee is brewing.

2) Spend a minimum of 60 minutes on something that makes me sweat. In my case, that is either running, hiking, biking or race walking with my DH, who can no longer run due to a meniscus injury/repair a few years back (not from running . . . the knee injury occurred during a skiing fall), or schlepping to the gym (always my last choice) to work on the Stairmaster, the most sweat inducing workout there I've experienced yet.

3) Plan a weekly menu. Life altering in that I use our calendar to determine what type of meals, time wise, to prepare on what nights.

4) Grocery shop every Wednesday to take advantage of overlapping sales (several stores here honor both last week's and this week's sale prices on Wednesday).

4) Enjoying a small glass of wine in late afternoon with my DH three to four times a week. We really enjoy the sense of dating we experience as we do so, just talking and talking and talking.

5) Save just-for-fun reading until after dinner, as an incentive to leave the TV/computer off.

6) Daily flossing! This took me some years, I must admit, but it now feels as odd as not brushing if I don't do so. Even cut up six measured strands to take with us on our upcoming backpack.

Productive habits still in process:

1) Daily afternoon meditation. I'm positive doing so will give me a lift in getting through what for me is the most tiring part of the day - the uptick in energy from my morning workout has dwindled away, and the uptick from eating dinner and relaxing over a good book afterward is still hours away.

2) Reduction of processed sugar from my diet. I've made big strides here, and am finding that if I keep only high percentage dark chocolate in the house, it doesn't seem to ignite my sugar fiend in the way lower percentage chocolate does. I've made enough improvement that I can now feel my blood sugar surge, and then plunge, when I do engage, which I dislike intensely enough to do less and less of it as time goes by.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:35 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchina View Post
"Note: I absolutely stripped down most of the quotes I'm responding to here, just for the sake of expediency.

I know there was more to your post, Mystang52, but I pulled the yoga out because it's been something that I'd like to start. My biggest challenge is that I do best with live classes and a teacher (I don't really love yoga videos), but have not been able to find a restorative or family yoga class that works for our schedule. Any suggestions? "

My first suggestion would be to move to Bergen County, NJ . I had multiple Yoga schools to choose from, all with schedules to meet my needs. A quick Google search was all it took. I then went to the 2 top choices, and bought an intro package from each. I'm now happy with one of them (and it's pure coincidence that the fellow students are prettier!).

Like you, I wanted the discipline of formal class as opposed to a DVD. I go Monday mornings, to relieve the stress of the previous day's NY Giants game.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:43 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethT View Post
This is a nice thread! Full of great, motivating ideas.

My productive habits as of now:...

Spend a minimum of 60 minutes on something that makes me sweat.
I'm pretty sure I'm not up to doing this on any sort of regular basis. A minimum of 60 minutes? Guess that would have to be followed by a long nap. There goes what's left of the day. Perhaps it's a day well spent. I know I'd be well-spent. Sure wouldn't have the time or energy to wash the dishes.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:53 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Always the list maker, I do occasionally jot down a list of "stuff" to remind myself of things I'd like to re-focus on.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 04:40 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Eating healthier. I really, really, like pepperoni but haven't eaten any of that or similar for about a year. I pretty much stick to salads for the main meal of the day, even when we're out. But there's this real big pepperoni roll behind the glass at the deli in the grocery store... maybe when I'm on my deathbed and it won't matter....
I used to like Pepperoni, too. Then I read the ingredients. Now I only eat stuff like that from the German Deli on 4th of July. To celebrate.

Mike D.

ps -- The big sandwich sized Pepperoni tastes totally different from the little 10 inch long, 1 inch in diameter sticks...

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:29 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

A few weeks ago I started a daily habit of using YouTube to learn something new every day. I've enjoyed this new habit so much that I usually watch several videos each day instead of just the one I originally planned. I'm focusing right now on science and history. I've learned about the Bronze Age, the Crusades, the history of Islam, work on cures for cancer, lots of biology, etc and so on. There are dozens of entertaining channels that focus on all kinds of topics.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-23-2015, 07:35 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI by 2024 View Post
A few weeks ago I started a daily habit of using YouTube to learn something new every day. I've enjoyed this new habit so much that I usually watch several videos each day instead of just the one I originally planned. I'm focusing right now on science and history. I've learned about the Bronze Age, the Crusades, the history of Islam, work on cures for cancer, lots of biology, etc and so on. There are dozens of entertaining channels that focus on all kinds of topics.

Bingo! I just found an entertaining Youtube lecture series on astronomy. I'm going to follow your lead and look up other topics. Thanks for the idea.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:30 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI by 2024 View Post
A few weeks ago I started a daily habit of using YouTube to learn something new every day.
I don't make it a daily thing but utube is usually the first place I go when I want/need to learn how to do something new or different. Lot's of good DIY videos.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:05 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I don't make it a daily thing but utube is usually the first place I go when I want/need to learn how to do something new or different. Lot's of good DIY videos.

Yeah, it's also great for that. My daily education habit I do in the morning while getting ready, but I'll also pull it up any time of the day to figure out home and car repairs, tricks related to my hobbies, etc.

Old 10-25-2015, 05:10 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

So, the great thing about this thread is that it has reminded me of the common habits that most people find supportive --

And... I realize (yet again) that everything I need to be happier and healthier I already have access to. I just need to actually do it.

However, I would also be very interested in anyone's housekeeping habits. I might start that as another thread. W2R and another poster touched on it -- but now that DH and I both work full-time and we're also engaged with our kids' schedules, I need to put some household stuff on autopilot.

As far as habits I've developed over the past three years or so (which is as long as I've been intentional about developing habits), I now:

1. Make my bed first thing in the morning.
2. Get completely dressed, including shoes, jewelry and makeup, when I "get dressed." This allows me to avoid multiple trips back to my bedroom/closet in the mornings, and really reduces my feeling of being scattered and forgetting things first thing in the morning.
3. Having a smooth morning routine. My consists of getting up, showering, getting dressed, taking care of the animals, unloading the dishwasher, making school lunches and my lunch, packing my work bags, and meditating.
4. Paying bills twice a month, on the 2nd and the 16th (based on paychecks). I used to pay every bill the day it came in. Now I batch them and it is so much more efficient.
5. Keeping the dining room table clear at all times.
6. Floss daily.
7. In bed at night, I count my blessings (instead of sheep), and try to really feel the pleasure I get from each one. I always fall asleep during this process, which means my last experience every night is a positive one.
8. Be done with work by 9 p.m. This is when I try to turn off the computer and put my grading / professional work away. DH and I have a cup of tea and read for an hour or an hour and a half or so, purely for pleasure. We do this instead of watching TV.

I am currently developing the following habits:
1. Daily meditation. I finally figured out how to fit it into my morning routine, and I add a single minute a week (I started with 5 minutes). Once I get up to 30 minutes a day I'll need to relocate when I do this habit, but I have a couple of months to get to that point.
2. Singletasking. I am trying to complete a task fully before moving on to another task. This will help decrease my switching-between-tasks-time, and also help me feel less scattered. For some things, like laundry, I don't worry about it -- but for other household and work tasks I try to complete an entire task before moving to another. This also means that I need to break projects down into tasks of about 45 minutes in length, which allows me to finish them one at a time.
3. Weekly menu planning. We do this often, but not always -- and I can tell when I don't.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:34 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Reading labels on food containers at store before deciding to put item in cart. ALWAYS

Lots of unhealthy food stays on the shelf this way.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:16 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to lem1955
I have just rediscovered knitting and am thrilled that it takes me away from screens. I am also loving getting in 2 or more hours of walking, hiking or cross country skiing each day. I'm eating more sensibly and am on the way to losing the 10 - 15 pounds I've put on since 2013. Still serving on two volunteer boards and have just applied to be a Family Friend with the VT Refugee Resettlement Program. I am in love with retirement.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:23 AM   #37

I learned to cut my own hair from watching youtube videos. It's actually a big time saver vs going to the barbershop.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:39 PM   #38

I am slowly working on getting rid of all my useful habits.

Taking up figure skating at age 62 was not necessarily useful. It did enhance my mediocre artistic movement skills, balance, and tons of fun. It was also an opportunity to hang out with a bunch of enthusisatic youngsters.

Sure beats the pain of hearing about the daily list of ailments, medications, who died and coughing/hacking of geezers, AKA daytime denizens, in the coffee shop.

Super EXTRA Bonus: no one at the rink gives a rat's a$$ about football, baseball or basketball, or the constant and endless recital/listing of player's, managers, owers shenaningans, statistics, who got traded..... gaaaack.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:54 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
I learned to cut my own hair from watching youtube videos. It's actually a big time saver vs going to the barbershop.
I got my DW to start cutting my hair, I've been doing hers for years.
We got one of this clipper things with the different sized prongs/teeth for my hair and it's as good as the barbershop did.
Its a lot more convenient especially during the winter.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:52 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Do bad habits count?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
behavior, habits, life hacks, skills