Join Early Retirement Today

Independence Day
Old 07-04-2019, 06:32 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Independence Day

Have a great 4th today!

Consider taking a moment to share with family and friends that the colonies were in a precarious status until ~1780. Our ancestors were merely rebellious subjects until October 19, 1781. The outcome was never a foregone conclusion. The pursuit of independence from the most powerful nation on earth was viewed by most as either tragic or folly.

However, what emerged was simply the Greatest Idea Ever in the History of the World.

Today is truly a cause for celebration.

Best,
rb

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2019, 07:19 AM   #2

I recently re-read David McCullough’s 1776 and enjoyed it again. Appropriate for Independence Day!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:45 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

And a day to remember and thank those, who, over the years, went in harm's way, or died too young, to keep us free.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:28 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.

Final line to the Declaration of Independence .

God bless America and the people who made us what we are .
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:18 AM   #5

Yes, agree, thanks to all those previous generations for making this great nation.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:09 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Saw this wagon this morning on my bike ride. Looked like a fitting Independence Day decoration. Every Independence Day, I remember how the Continental Army persevered through the winter of 1777-1778 with little provisions in order to gain our independence. Incredible dedication.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg happy independence day 2019.jpg (1.08 MB, 35 views)
Old 07-04-2019, 12:12 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Enjoy the day!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:41 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Happy Fourth. I rode down with my son. We weren’t allowed to get anywhere near the Lincoln Memorial but I did see Baby Trump.
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:01 PM   #9

Apparently the way to celebrate freedom is to be an a$$hole and set off fireworks in a residential neighborhood all night long from sunset to sunrise. By far my least favorite time of the Summer and I don't have ptsd, pets or young kids. It's even worse for those people.
aaronc879 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:26 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I haven't heard a single firecracker to this point. Will hear and see fireworks later tonight which is fine by me. Happy 4th!
Old 07-04-2019, 01:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I haven't heard a single firecracker to this point. Will hear and see fireworks later tonight which is fine by me. Happy 4th!
In my extended neighborhood we have had full aeriel fireworks well into the night for over a week and m-80s going off anytime of day and night. Those give flashbacks to vets and make pets and kids cower in fear. They are illegal but no one cares including the police. This will continue on at least thru late Sunday night.
aaronc879 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 08:05 PM   #12

Watched the Macy's fireworks show in NYC. This year's show was the best I've ever seen, anywhere. Great choreography, new colors, excellent incorporation of the Brooklyn Bridge. Must be a new team that designed the 2019 show, or the budget was larger, because it was amazing. Kudos to those who put the show together.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:13 PM   #13

Personally I really like the events in DC today. While I did missed the parade, I thought the Presidents speech recognizing each branch of the military, the flyovers and fireworks displays at mall were all very well done and appropriate for the 4th.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 05:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Personally I really like the events in DC today. While I did missed the parade, I thought the Presidents speech recognizing each branch of the military, the flyovers and fireworks displays at mall were all very well done and appropriate for the 4th.
+(July)4!

The use of fireworks in July has been around as long as I can remember. But they are all pikers. The safe use of explosives used underground, construction projects during my w*rking days, was an educated, exhilarating task, in an attempt to shape rock. Confined by space, laws chemistry and physics, the immense power condensed into permissible water gels, was respected, and minimized wear and tear on mining equipment.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 02:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Apparently the way to celebrate freedom is to be an a$$hole and set off fireworks in a residential neighborhood all night long from sunset to sunrise.
One of the brighter things the County Council did here was to ban fireworks after 10:00 PM on July 4th, New Year's Day, and I think Christmas ().

Some people of course had to push the envelope, but all was quiet by 11:00 or 11:30.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
One of the brighter things the County Council did here was to ban fireworks after 10:00 PM on July 4th, New Year's Day, and I think Christmas ().

Some people of course had to push the envelope, but all was quiet by 11:00 or 11:30.
Wish that happened here.

We had a wonderful city display on the beach here, from about 10-10:30. (We live at 46 north latitude, so it's not mostly dark until 10.) We had yahoos shooting off bottle rockets and firecrackers all over the place, which are illegal anyway. But before 10 and after 10:30, living in a touristy area, we had a lot of people going nuts here until around midnight. We live on the hill and we could see most of it from our deck, which was nice -- more privacy, no crowds and no traffic after the event.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote