Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-30-2016, 01:17 PM   #301
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You made me go out and look in the back of my cabinet.

I counted 4, yes, 4 unopened bottles of XO, of 4 different brands and still in gift boxes.

Heh heh heh...

PS. No Courvoisier XO, but other brands like Camus XO, Remy Martin XO, and Otard XO... Otard XO? Never had this brand, and did not even know about it. Who gave that to me? It's been so long I forget.

PPS. In the process, I also found the half-finished single-malt my children gave me 2 birthdays ago. Been going crazy looking for it. I put it back in its round box each time I poured a shot, but forgot what color the box was. Darn old age. There goes my "superior" memory. Somehow in my memory, it was a green box, but it is really beige. It's this Oban 14-year old, as shown on the Web. My bottle is 1/2 empty. Arghh! Someone drank it without me knowing.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2016, 01:18 PM   #302
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Try some Paddlefish to sample the "luxury" at a low cost. It's about $20/oz and the flavor is very good. So good that I'll always buy a tin even if I'm also buying the $70/oz stuff.
I just might do that. I love caviar and I'm not too picky about the type.

Old 07-30-2016, 01:42 PM   #303
Give me a forum ...

Had caviar once, and I had a tough time swallowing it. Too fishy for my taste, although I eat fish. You can have all the sturgeon's egg, I just eat the sturgeon itself (most excellent firm and mild fish).

One of these days, I may try caviar again but it is not high on my priority list. I'd rather spend the money on some good pâté, something I am sure my wife and I both enjoy. Hmmm... Delicious. And sipping a bit of Cognac, which they also use in the making of such pâté.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:01 PM   #304
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you had the stuff at the grocery store (pasturized, non-refrigerated) 4 oz for around $10, I would agree. It's not good.

The good stuff has a very mild flavor, very rich tasting and makes me smile a lot -
Old 07-30-2016, 02:17 PM   #305
Give me a forum ...

I don't know how much it was. It was served on a cruise ship, in a special midnight event. Could be the $10 variety.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:34 PM   #306

Interesting. Who knows?

Good caviar is smooth and rich like good pate. It has some "fish" flavor, but it shouldn't be too strong. It will keep for a few days as long as it is not opened and exposed to air. The tins are packed to the top and more, some "oily residue" will be outside as the top is pressed down over the fill and a rubber band seals the seam. Once opened the clock starts ticking fast and I would suggest the purchase of (2) 4 oz tins over one 8 oz if you want to enjoy over days...ie once opened you would do best to eat it all. The suggested serving size is one oz per person, but I find that 2 oz is what I like to eat for appetizers, so there is my reason for 4 oz tins for the 2 of us -
Old 07-30-2016, 02:43 PM   #307
Give me a forum ...

I think I would not be able to persuade my wife to share a tin with me. So, would have to look for smallest container.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:52 PM   #308
Give me a forum ...

On 2nd thought, I don't think caviar is for me. I just remember the reason I do not like sushi being the taste and smell of the seaweed Nori. I also remember the caviar I sampled had that taste.

I can eat good fish all day, but find Nori very difficult to eat.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:25 PM   #309

You could be right about that.

I regularly buy those "seaweed snacks" at cost plus -
Old 07-30-2016, 03:31 PM   #310
Give me a forum ...

And by surfing the Web, I just found out that they make vegetarian fake caviar from seaweed. Arghhh!

OK, that settles that. I can strike off caviar just as with sushi, and never have to wonder about it again.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:34 PM   #311

Can I get a soy burger topped with seaweed caviar?

And smear some tofu sauce on the bun?
Old 07-30-2016, 03:36 PM   #312
Give me a forum ...

Surely you can make that at home. And post photos of it here too.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:44 PM   #313
Give me a forum ...

Come on guys, where are the threads about foraging for grubs and fiddlehead ferns?

This Cognac and caviar stuff is not the lbym that I have learned to know and love, and to expect in the pages of ER.org

Ha
Old 07-30-2016, 03:51 PM   #314

I am living below my means. Well below. I've got more dough now than I ever had.

I haven't worked in over 2 years...

Gotta...blow...more dough!
Old 07-30-2016, 04:18 PM   #315
Give me a forum ...

As for me, all this fancy booze was gifted, and some I have had for a while (I am a slow drinker).

About the booze that I buy myself, did anybody miss the story about my son sharing his discovery of the cheap but good American brandy? After tasting it once more tonight at his dinner to be sure, I may go out to buy a case. Heh heh heh...
Old 07-30-2016, 04:22 PM   #316
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
And by surfing the Web, I just found out that they make vegetarian fake caviar from seaweed. Arghhh!

OK, that settles that. I can strike off caviar just as with sushi, and never have to wonder about it again.

The internet can be a dangerous place my friend!
Old 07-30-2016, 04:45 PM   #317
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
...After tasting it once more tonight at his dinner to be sure, I may go out to buy a case. Heh heh heh...
I don't know if this is forethought, decadence or an "indicator of wealth" but the liquor store is delisting my favourite "everday" rum, so I had to go buy a case of it. Proud as punch I was, at the checkout till (most out of character )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rum.jpg (563.7 KB, 21 views)
Old 07-30-2016, 04:55 PM   #318
Give me a forum ...

Interesting bottle. Never heard of it.

Actually, I never bought a case of anything, other than wine which I drink more of. I like to sample different things, and do not want to make such a commitment. Just joking about buying a case of that brandy.

PS. Just check the local Total Wine store. They do not have this rum. However, all kinds of interesting rum bottles show up in the search. See what I mean about there are a lot of things out there to sample?
Old 07-30-2016, 05:05 PM   #319

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Come on guys, where are the threads about foraging for grubs and fiddlehead ferns?

This Cognac and caviar stuff is not the lbym that I have learned to know and love, and to expect in the pages of ER.org

Ha
Perhaps this is a sign of an equities bubble?
Old 07-30-2016, 05:18 PM   #320
Give me a forum ...

Heck, where youse guys have been?

There have been so much activity in the Travel forum for the last two years. European travel, month-long river cruises, business class seats...

Compared to those, caviar, foie gras, and Cognac are for the poorer posters here.