Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-01-2016, 07:44 AM   #341
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

They sound like "grasshoppers," who count on everyone else to be patient while they fund their personal "priorities."

Curious...how do you know their unit is mortgaged to the max? Is there a public database, or do they talk about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
We live in a development with townhomes in the $500K-600K range. Our neighbors a couple in their late 50's with 2 matching late model leased BMWs requested a deadline extension to pay a $1500 assessment levied by the association. Their unit is also mortgaged to the max but they never miss a golf deadline....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2016, 07:46 AM   #342

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
They sound like "grasshoppers," who count on everyone else to be patient while they fund their personal "priorities."

Curious...how do you know their unit is mortgaged to the max? Is there a public database, or do they talk about it?
It's public record at the registry of deed in our state and it's available online. Also when they first bought the unit the lady told DW they barely made the income to loan ratio to qualify for the mortgage.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:36 AM   #343
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I love simple food simply prepared;

Prime tenderloin medium rare, hash browns and a quartered tomato -
On a 1979 Corelle plate! I know, because the same set is in the kitchen cabinet here. Spend the money on the IMPORTANT stuff, right?
Old 08-01-2016, 08:50 AM   #344

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I find treating friends is a touchy subject. Sure they will accept on dinner on us if we have stayed with them. Sometimes they will accept us picking up the wine if we picked an extra pricey one. Otherwise, it is pretty balanced in terms of payment.

Family can be very different though.
Agree. It's mostly family with us. We have a couple of friends who couldn't afford to split dinners, so we got in the habit of paying. Not often but consistently. Seemed like the right thing to do. Also, young friends of my daughter, etc or older friends of my mother who really don't have the means.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:53 AM   #345
Recycles dryer sheets

Indicators of Wealth?

I really enjoy learning about the different ways people in the community spend (and don't spend) money.

I would guess my wife and I spend < $500 on alcohol a year (@ home and when eating out).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2016, 10:53 AM   #346
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I do not drink that much of spirits. I drink more red wine, and a little beer. I have no idea how much I spend on alcohol a year, because I do not track it separately from grocery bills. So, it cannot be that much of a percentage of the total grocery bills, as Quicken tallies up for me.

The stash that I have is accumulated over the years. I am gifted and also buy more booze than I consume, so it piles up. This is fine with me, because spirits keep forever, and looking at my hoard gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling, like I am rich.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:00 PM   #347

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

The stash that I have is accumulated over the years. I am gifted and also buy more booze than I consume, so it piles up. This is fine with me, because spirits keep forever, and looking at my hoard gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling, like I am rich.
I often mention my wealthy, eccentric and notoriously stingy grandfather on this forum.

When we moved into his house after his passing (and a complete renovation) we found 11 gallons (yes gallons) of his prized bourbon! "you never know if they'll stop making it..."

Almost 30 years later, I still have a gallon and a half left.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:10 PM   #348
Give me a forum ...

11 gallons of booze do not add up to that much wealth. It has to be in rarefied vintage to be considered part of one's AA.

Let's see. TotalWine is selling Macallan 25-yr for $1,100 a bottle. For 11 gallons, that works out to 56 bottles, for a total of $62K. That's more than 1% of most people's portfolio, and should be tracked in Quicken.

Don't know about rare Scotch, but I think XO Cognac has not kept up with inflation. It makes a lousy investment.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:14 PM   #349

Quote:
11 gallons of booze do not add up to that much wealth. It has to be in rarefied vintage to be considered part of one's AA.

Let's see. TotalWine is selling Macallan 25-yr for $1,100 a bottle. For 11 gallons, that works out to 56 bottles, for a total of $62K. That's more than 1% of most people's portfolio, and should be tracked in Quicken.
My comment was in reference to your post of accumulated liquor stock. Grand dad's wealth was exceptional and had no relation to his bourbon shelf.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 08-01-2016, 07:20 PM   #350
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
My comment was in reference to your post of accumulated liquor stock. Grand dad's wealth was nine figures and had no relation to his bourbon shelf.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I think my granddad was worth about nine bucks...

My "liquor cabinet" is almost nonexistent at this point, perhaps because I actually drink it. ;-)

Haven't had a good reason to restock...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:22 PM   #351

Quote:
I often mention my wealthy, eccentric and notoriously stingy grandfather on this forum.

When we moved into his house after his passing (and a complete renovation) we found 11 gallons (yes gallons) of his prized bourbon! "you never know if they'll stop making it..."

Almost 30 years later, I still have a gallon and a half left.
What kind of bourbon? I have over 20 bourbons in my cabinet, ranging from Jefferson's Aged at Sea and Blantons down to Evan Williams. I usually only sip the nice ones with company. It's almost more like a display in my dining room hutch.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:27 PM   #352
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My comment was in reference to your post of accumulated liquor stock. Grand dad's wealth was exceptional and had no relation to his bourbon shelf.
I was just thinking about the thread topic, and wondering about what kind of booze it takes for 11 gallons to become an "indicator of wealth".

You are right in implying that stockpiling 11 gallons of any kind of whisky is an "indicator of eccentricity".

For wine, 11 gallons, while more than what I have on hand at any time, would not be that much for someone with a real cellar.

PS. Just found out that one can buy an entire barrel of whisky of 53 gallons from some distillers, and have it delivered to his home. That's equivalent to about 200 bottles, and costs about $10K (no volume discount). I guess it would make a good conversation piece for a whisky enthusiast, and would not be eccentric at all. Would that be considered "wealth"?

PPS. Here's the gotcha. You will need a liquor license to buy in bulk like that. Oh well.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:25 PM   #353
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
What kind of bourbon? I have over 20 bourbons in my cabinet, ranging from Jefferson's Aged at Sea and Blantons down to Evan Williams. I usually only sip the nice ones with company. It's almost more like a display in my dining room hutch.
Nice collection. Do you have any Pappy?
I have a full bottle of 15 year and about 3 shots worth left of 20 year.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:26 PM   #354
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

PS. Just found out that one can buy an entire barrel of whisky of 53 gallons from some distillers, and have it delivered to his home. That's equivalent to about 200 bottles, and costs about $10K (no volume discount). I guess it would make a good conversation piece for a whisky enthusiast, and would not be eccentric at all. Would that be considered "wealth"?

PPS. Here's the gotcha. You will need a liquor license to buy in bulk like that. Oh well.
The barrel originally contained 53-55 gallons. Whiskey is not topped off weekly/monthly like wine, and will lose up to 30% of its contents.

There is a barrel of Makers Mark with my name on it.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:22 AM   #355
Give me a forum ...

That's right. I forgot that seepage through wood will cause loss, and that spirits are initially distilled extra strong to allow for loss of alcohol while aging in the barrel.

This means that if one is not a fast drinker, it is better to buy many cases of glass bottles for storage (but one loses the conversation value). This makes me wonder how much one needs to consume to make owning one's barrel practical. Perhaps 5 gallons a year, so that a barrel will get consumed in 7 years? That's about 1 shot a day.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:07 AM   #356
Full time employment: Posting here.

Indicators of Wealth?

From the song: My Maserati does 185 I lost my license now I don't drive.... Life's been good to me I know..

They've opened a Maserati dealership in my town. I believe payments run well north of $700 a month. Can I provide the address to anyone.

Evidence of wealth for sure p - When I drive by I always think to myself - just who buys them?
Old 08-02-2016, 06:17 AM   #357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelwanted View Post
Nice collection. Do you have any Pappy?
I have a full bottle of 15 year and about 3 shots worth left of 20 year.
No Pappy. As nice as my collection is, it's still not big league.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:36 AM   #358

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Sadly nothing too exotic. 11 gallons of Maker's Mark in bottles of various sizes.

The old man and some friends made their own liquor during prohibition so quality and taste was secondary to just getting a good buzz on. He wasn't fussy, but if YOU wanted to buy him a glass from the top shelf, he wouldn't stop you...

In later years, I'd drive him up to (tax free) NH to buy cases of bourbon, vodka and whiskey; became a regular outing!
Old 08-02-2016, 09:19 AM   #359

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
Evidence of wealth for sure p - When I drive by I always think to myself - just who buys them?
When I see certain super cars my first thought isn't "saved hard for it" but rather "drug kingpin". Especially when I'm in south Florida.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:02 AM   #360
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
When I see certain super cars my first thought isn't "saved hard for it" but rather "drug kingpin". Especially when I'm in south Florida.
Exactly. Same here in New Orleans, either "drug kingpin" or "pimp running slavery/prostitution ring".

I don't think anybody else around here is very concerned about what make of car they are driving, or it's age.