Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-02-2016, 10:25 AM   #361
Moderator Emeritus

When I see a super car in my town (it's only happened once), my first thought is that they are lost.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2016, 10:35 AM   #362
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
When I see a super car in my town (it's only happened once), my first thought is that they are lost.
Or professional athlete, entertainer, dot com multi-millionaire? Thing about super cars is that most owners have paid cash as opposed to the run-of-the-mill spendthrift who borrows to buy a Vette, BMW, or Benz.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:01 AM   #363
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Show me a young guy (under 60?) who does not lust for a super-car (or even a classic)?

My buddy has a 92 Ferrari and a custom garage to store it. He considers it an investment in ego and never plans to sell it.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:30 AM   #364

I just think, "I hope that was his first of many $250,000s, not his first and last."

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:45 AM   #365
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Or professional athlete, entertainer, dot com multi-millionaire? Thing about super cars is that most owners have paid cash as opposed to the run-of-the-mill spendthrift who borrows to buy a Vette, BMW, or Benz.
At least locally, my Mercedes dealer says that the grubbiest guys will come in, start asking about a $170,000 car, take one for a drive and then plunk down CASH.

He claims the demographic is a lot different from what you'd expect.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:32 PM   #366
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Growing up I lived alongside the Dixie Highway. Once when I was about 15 I came home around 1AM and there was a Jaguar roadster, an Xk 140 with Empire State plates on it, idling in a pull-off in front of my house with no one in it. Turns out some locals felt that the driver didn't belong south of the Ohio River, and ran him off the road and took out after him with tire irons.

I went to bed, never found out how this played out. I think cops arrested the northerner for disturbing the peace or something, but at least he lived.

Today, I live 2 blocks from a Ferrari/Maserati dealer, so I see plenty exotic cars. If I had that kind of money, I can tell you that I would have zero interest in a Maserati. The Ferraris are so much better looking

Ha
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:46 PM   #367
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Show me a young guy (under 60?) who does not lust for a super-car (or even a classic)?

My buddy has a 92 Ferrari and a custom garage to store it. He considers it an investment in ego and never plans to sell it.

I wouldn't call it lust, necessarily; I reserved that for the ladies... 😎

But by the time I reached my peak earning years (high five figures), becoming FI was more important.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:26 PM   #368
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Growing up I lived alongside the Dixie Highway. Once when I was about 15 I came home around 1AM and there was a Jaguar roadster, an Xk 140 with Empire State plates on it, idling in a pull-off in front of my house with no one in it. Turns out some locals felt that the driver didn't belong south of the Ohio River, and ran him off the road and took out after him with tire irons.

I went to bed, never found out how this played out. I think cops arrested the northerner for disturbing the peace or something, but at least he lived...
Good grief! I stopped caring for a fancy car decades ago, but if this "indicator of wealth" can get one in such trouble, darn, I am glad that I will be safe.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:37 PM   #369
Give me a forum ...

I am going to buy a new car before I die, the first one ever.

It's looking like a Chevy Impala or a Ford Taurus.

But then I'll have some dough for what I really want, that Zero electric motorcycle that does 0 to 60 in 3.3 seconds.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:10 PM   #370
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I am going to buy a new car before I die, the first one ever.

It's looking like a Chevy Impala or a Ford Taurus.

But then I'll have some dough for what I really want, that Zero electric motorcycle that does 0 to 60 in 3.3 seconds.
Come on, Robble,I expected a hot Porsche or a Audi A8 out of you, not a run of the mill Chevy or Ford!
Old 08-02-2016, 02:19 PM   #371
Give me a forum ...

See, that's what's important to me in this life.

Doing what I want to do, not what anyone else thinks I should do -
Old 08-02-2016, 02:50 PM   #372

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
When I see certain super cars my first thought isn't "saved hard for it" but rather "drug kingpin". Especially when I'm in south Florida.
I walk the dog on the beach in La Jolla most mornings. I regularly see Maseratis, bentleys, teslas, jags, and Ferraris. But I also see beater cars... The fancy cars are often the residents of the neighborhood by the beach. The beater cars are folks like me who drive to the beach. The beach is free/public... so being at the beach is not an indicator of wealth.

The fancy cars are probably not drug dealers... but could be CEOs of fortune 500 companies. I walk by the Irwin Jacobs house (founder of Qualcomm)and Paul Jacobs home (executive chair of Qualcom, Irwin's son and next door neighbor) when I walk on the beach. They have nice cars in their garage. They definitely qualify as *very* rich. What strikes me more is they have a guy who works for them full time, who among other things, washes their cars regularly. Nice guy (the worker) and nice cars.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:54 PM   #373
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Here.

Saw this just now. Yep, I stopped caring about cars, high-performance or classic or otherwise since I was 40. Could be even earlier, but definitely 40.

Cars are just transportation to me, and to my wife. My sister and her husband feel the same way, and they have been FI for a while. They spent a heck of a lot of money on travel though.

I think their stash is larger than mine, but they don't even spend money on housing as I do. They show no visible "indicators of wealth".

PS. And they do not drink. My sister never does, like my wife. My BIL cannot even drink beer now. Gout. So, I am a lot richer in booze than they are.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-02-2016, 02:58 PM   #374

Quote:
I'm 66 and if I won the lottery (might help if I bought a ticket once in a while) I'd have a difficult choice: Corvette or 700 hp Dodge Charger? Or both?
Old 08-02-2016, 03:10 PM   #375
Give me a forum ...

That Aston Martin Vantage look quite fusible....
Old 08-02-2016, 03:57 PM   #376
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I'm 66 and if I won the lottery (might help if I bought a ticket once in a while) I'd have a difficult choice: Corvette or 700 hp Dodge Charger? Or both?

If you won the big one you could buy both... and buy them again and again and again...

If you netted $200 mill, that is $8 mill a year without any trouble... that is over $20K a DAY... so heck, you could just give away the cars when it was time to change the oil without blinking an eye...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:49 PM   #377

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Today, I live 2 blocks from a Ferrari/Maserati dealer, so I see plenty exotic cars. If I had that kind of money, I can tell you that I would have zero interest in a Maserati. The Ferraris are so much better looking

Ha
I think you get a lot more "go" for your dough with a Ferrari. Maserati's are expensive for the performance. Like the look of the California and pretty useable.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:15 PM   #378
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
See, that's what's important to me in this life.

Doing what I want to do, not what anyone else thinks I should do -
And I know you like good food. So do I.

This is what makes me happy right now: waiting for my braised lamb shank for dinner. I just finished putting everything into the pot, and lowered the heat to let it simmer for at least 3 hours. The recipe I use comes from Chef John in the following video. The image of the dish is also linked from the Web.

My wife does not eat lamb, so I learned to make this for myself. After dinner, I will pour meself a shot of Cognac, sipping it while surfin' the Web some more.

No "indicator of wealth" needed for my happiness.

Old 08-02-2016, 05:24 PM   #379
Give me a forum ...

We have a lot in common. My girlfriend will not eat lamb because it's a baby animal.

I like to marinate a frenched rack in garlic, rosemary, olives oil and wine overnite and then smoke it in the egg for 45 minutes. Curl your toes good!

Oh baby baby!

Old 08-02-2016, 05:27 PM   #380
Give me a forum ...

That's a big rack. One time, I had to finish a rack, perhaps a smaller one, by myself because again, my wife does not eat lamb. Too much of a good thing.

Both of my children do not eat lamb. Same as my wife, they do not like the flavor. However, my son-in-law does, and we have had a few dinners where we feasted on lamb while the rest of the family ate pedestrian steaks or beef stew.