Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-06-2016, 11:46 AM   #461
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Home Depot carries a lot of it, in different grades. Various "brands." Pay up to the point you get the tile that lays flat on the slab. The cheap stuff does not. The cheap stuff chips as well. You see a lot of this now in model houses, at least in Arizona.

A good flooring contractor will carry higher grades.
That $80k is starting to look pretty low! Maybe cut out the caviar for a couple of years or until the kids graduate?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2016, 12:14 PM   #462
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
That $80k is starting to look pretty low! Maybe cut out the caviar for a couple of years or until the kids graduate?
If it was me, I'd sell the dog, put in the most gorgeous high end hardwood flooring I could find, and be done with it with lots of that $80K left over I'd think. But these pet owners just don't see the advantage to that.

I would definitely avoid the white marble with gold veins in a 1400 sf house, which IIRC is about the size that Robbie mentioned. Flooring like that needs a lot of space to look its best, IMO, and I think it would make a small house look like a broom closet in Versailles. Besides, when wet it would be so slippery.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:27 PM   #463

Yeah, I worry about that in the bathrooms. Maybe the ceramic tiles would be better.

Not talking a lot of area either kitchen, foyer and both bathrooms together are less than 200 sq-ft.

I could put in really expensive stuff, say $25/sq-ft and it would only be 5 grand. But I don't want to slip & fall either, that's like death to old folks.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:37 PM   #464
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Yeah, I worry about that in the bathrooms. Maybe the ceramic tiles would be better.

Not talking a lot of area either kitchen, foyer and both bathrooms together are less than 200 sq-ft.

I could put in really expensive stuff, say $25/sq-ft and it would only be 5 grand. But I don't want to slip & fall either, that's like death to old folks.
These days I think that there are a lot of tiles available in neat patterns (like the wood look patterns) that are not slippery at all. I agree about falls being awful for old folks. I'd much rather not slip at all, than slip and have to recover from a broken hip in my old age.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:50 PM   #465
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
These days I think that there are a lot of tiles available in neat patterns (like the wood look patterns) that are not slippery at all. I agree about falls being awful for old folks. I'd much rather not slip at all, than slip and have to recover from a broken hip in my old age.
Older people often do not pay enough attention to avoidance of falls, and if there is a fall, minimizing injury. There are many good papers on the web about best flooring as one gets older. Usually it comes down to wall to wall carpet is much better than whatever is next best. There are also various brands of anti-slip flooring for bathrooms.

Ha
Old 08-06-2016, 12:51 PM   #466
Full time employment: Posting here.

The wood-look tile has the grain stamped in and is not as slippery as stone-look porcelain tile or marble. Look at Home Depot's Marrazzi Montagna Saddle Brown for pictures of the basic wood-look porcelain tile. You will need to keep both a dust mop and a wet mop handy, because the darker colors show dust and dirt.
Old 08-06-2016, 01:11 PM   #467

We put in marble in our master bathroom remodel - but it was a basketweave pattern - so there are enough joints to avoid the slippery factor. It was $10/foot for the tile - DH did the labor - which was intensive since the subfloor was redone and then leveled properly. That floor is there forever. And yes - the floor makes me feel wealthy, even though it was only 100sf of marble floor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg modern-mosaic-tile.jpg (94.5 KB, 19 views)
Old 08-06-2016, 01:44 PM   #468

That's pretty cool, I like that -
Old 08-06-2016, 01:51 PM   #469

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
We put in marble in our master bathroom remodel - but it was a basketweave pattern - so there are enough joints to avoid the slippery factor.
That looks very much like the tile floor that was in my parent's house while I was growing up in the 1950's. The house was built ~1943 and had the original tile all the time we lived there.
Old 08-06-2016, 03:27 PM   #470
Recycles dryer sheets

All tiles have a coefficient of friction which should be looked at for wet areas.

New Standard Measures Coefficient of Friction for Ceramic Tile
Old 08-06-2016, 03:48 PM   #471

I just got to thinking that one indicator of wealth is the ability to not get upset over one of life's misadventures that costs you money you hadn't planned on having to spend.

Knowing you can handle this unscheduled repair without it impacting your lifestyle.
Old 08-06-2016, 04:25 PM   #472
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Exactly. Same here in New Orleans, either "drug kingpin" or "pimp running slavery/prostitution ring".

I don't think anybody else around here is very concerned about what make of car they are driving, or it's age.
Yeah here along the TexMex border when that Ferrari blasts past me I'm thinking narcotraficante.....
Old 08-06-2016, 04:59 PM   #473
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Yeah, that's it. When I'm sitting in first class sipping a cocktail on the runway during boarding I feel "rich"
I like to be the last person to board on plane and sit way on the back because I have ear plane.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:52 PM   #474
Recycles dryer sheets

Indicators of Wealth?

I'm so rich, I only buy organic firewood.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum😜. I'll show myself out....
Old 08-07-2016, 12:41 AM   #475

I must be feeling wealthy.
I buy up our local grocery store overstock, even if they charge $5.99 / bottle

Old 08-07-2016, 03:08 PM   #476

Quote:
Originally Posted by clobber View Post
Well - I just slept 9+ hours on a 13 hour flight in a lay flat bed. VERY much worth it to me. I happen to have traveled quite a bit in coach, not sleeping, arriving in Europe between 5-7am, and spending the next week trying to get over the lag. That sure detracted from the fun.
Well, after my last flight to Europe (coach, as always) I did pay the price for the sleeping pill not kicking in. I only dozed a bit during the 8 hr. flight, and arrived in the AM. This was the first time I had been unable to sleep in coach, and it DEFINITELY interfered with my preparation for the tour that started the next day. Ouch. I may need to re-think the choice of coach if I want to fully function the next time I go.......

Thought it would never come to this.........but I am no longer 24, able to prop myself and sleep just about anywhere...

Old 08-09-2016, 08:49 AM   #477

How much flooring you could buy would depend a lot on the used-dog market where you live.

Quote:
If it was me, I'd sell the dog, put in the most gorgeous high end hardwood flooring I could find, and be done with it with lots of that $80K left over I'd think.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:39 PM   #478

The Cognac was getting low and the girlfriend will be over tomorrow and I thought I'd get her something nice;

Only $160 at BevMo and comes with 2 sexy glasses -
Old 08-19-2016, 07:52 AM   #479

Quote:
The Cognac was getting low and the girlfriend will be over tomorrow and I thought I'd get her something nice;

Only $160 at BevMo and comes with 2 sexy glasses -
Interesting throughout this thread how our individual perceptions shape responses. My first thought was "OMFG, $160 for a bottle of Liquor." But, this is a sipper, likely many nights of enjoyment; compares well on the price point to several "reasonable" $30-40 bottles of wine--and a steal compared to d'Yquem !
Old 08-19-2016, 07:55 AM   #480

The BevMo I have been in sells cigars to go with that at $8 to $25 per cigar. Did you pick up a couple of those to go with the sipping stuff?