Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-19-2016, 08:45 AM   #481
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Home Depot carries a lot of it, in different grades. Various "brands." Pay up to the point you get the tile that lays flat on the slab. The cheap stuff does not. The cheap stuff chips as well. You see a lot of this now in model houses, at least in Arizona.

A good flooring contractor will carry higher grades.
This. We just put that wood-look ceramic tile in our main bathroom when we renovated. Contractor told us it is prone to chipping at the edges but it is less of a concern in a bathroom than perhaps in a kitchen.

We did buy it from a really good tile shop instead of a big box store and got better quality that way.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2016, 12:09 PM   #482
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
The BevMo I have been in sells cigars to go with that at $8 to $25 per cigar. Did you pick up a couple of those to go with the sipping stuff?
My BevMo does have the cigars and they also have caviar from time to time, but it's not as good as the stuff off the internet. I have a box of Macanudos here too and I like one from time to time. They make the girlfriend cough though.

That Camus is like candy. Very smooth and rich tasting with vanilla overtones.

Old 08-19-2016, 04:36 PM   #483

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
My BevMo does have the cigars and they also have caviar from time to time, but it's not as good as the stuff off the internet. I have a box of Macanudos here too and I like one from time to time. They make the girlfriend cough though.

That Camus is like candy. Very smooth and rich tasting with vanilla overtones.
I think you should start a blog devoted to all the food, drink and other luxuries you have been consuming since you loosened the purse strings. I'm not being facetious. I might enjoy some of the same things but I would not be able to drop that kind of coin on something I wasn't sure was worth it. If it had the RobbieB stamp of approval, I might be more inclined.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:02 PM   #484

Good idea, I can do that -

And it would be useful too, me thinks. I have gone through a lot of "gourmet food" suppliers and have narrowed my sources a lot.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:01 PM   #485
gone traveling

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1472083255.615160.jpgbuilt myself a mancave in the garage 20 bucks for the adirondack chair and ottoma, 18 for the astroturf

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-25-2016, 03:12 PM   #486

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Looks like the start of a man cave!
Old 08-25-2016, 03:18 PM   #487
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Good idea, I can do that -

And it would be useful too, me thinks. I have gone through a lot of "gourmet food" suppliers and have narrowed my sources a lot.
Another vote here. I occasionally like to splurge on something like that and would definitely appreciate the recommendations (positive or negative).

The last time I bought something I considered extravagant was for some truffles on Amazon, and I was severely disappointed.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:58 PM   #488
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughpile View Post
Attachment 24554built myself a mancave in the garage 20 bucks for the adirondack chair and ottoma, 18 for the astroturf

Congrats on the man cave! You will get just as much enjoyment from this as some folks that have 30k to 50k in their man caves.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:06 PM   #489
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by tps7742 View Post
Congrats on the man cave! You will get just as much enjoyment from this as some folks that have 30k to 50k in their man caves.

So far so good! I love it.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:46 PM   #490

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Another vote here. I occasionally like to splurge on something like that and would definitely appreciate the recommendations (positive or negative).

The last time I bought something I considered extravagant was for some truffles on Amazon, and I was severely disappointed.

They sell black truffles at Wegmans. If you want to be extravagant, go to the truffle festival in Alba, Italy and sample white truffles, the ridiculously expensive kind. BTW black truffles are relatively inexpensive in Alba. This picture is from a store front there, taken last May. Many shops there sold black truffles. ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1472186651.606582.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-30-2016, 07:17 PM   #491

I just ordered up 6 pounds of American Wagyu Gold Grade on sale for $500. And paid an extra $40 for 2 day shipping.

The "gold steak special", 4 fillets, 4 NY and 4 rib eyes. Cooked fast on the egg with mesquite should be amazing -
Old 08-30-2016, 08:15 PM   #492

Quote:
I just ordered up 6 pounds of American Wagyu Gold Grade on sale for $500. And paid an extra $40 for 2 day shipping.

The "gold steak special", 4 fillets, 4 NY and 4 rib eyes. Cooked fast on the egg with mesquite should be amazing -
Waiting for the post consumption report... Say, where's that blog you promised?
Old 08-30-2016, 08:25 PM   #493

It's right here. The report will be forthcoming I promise. With pics too -

This is the my first order with these guys, so I have no history. They got good reviews and the pics look good, but that's all I know. Only one way to find out -
Old 08-30-2016, 10:31 PM   #494

Quote:

Look forward to the review!

I've only had Wagyu once or twice as appetizer. DW has it more frequently at comped professional dinners, including Tuesday. Her personal verdict is that it is too close in taste to Prime Tenderloin steaks to justify the extra cost--but like with wines, this is a huge YMMV area!

Enjoy--as if that needs to be said
Old 09-03-2016, 03:53 PM   #495

Meat arrived yesterday in good shape and frozen solid;

Nice marble eh?

From L to R, Ribeye, NY, Filet
Old 09-03-2016, 05:29 PM   #496
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
Interesting throughout this thread how our individual perceptions shape responses. My first thought was "OMFG, $160 for a bottle of Liquor." But, this is a sipper, likely many nights of enjoyment; compares well on the price point to several "reasonable" $30-40 bottles of wine--and a steal compared to d'Yquem !
That's exactly how I feel about XO Cognac vs. more expensive bottles of wine. Not just that a bottle of Cognac lasts longer than a bottle of wine, I usually enjoy the difference of the XO over cheaper bottles, but often like a less expensive bottle of wine over something costing more, or cannot tell the difference between them.

About Robbie's new enjoyment, that's a common price range for XO cognac. One can find XO bottles of many brands for that money. The next grade runs more than $1000/bottle, and I have not had one. The sky is the limit on Cognac, and there's a bottle going for as high as $150K.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:17 PM   #497

Yesterday I cooked 3 of the NY's at Kelly's and we ate them - Yeah, they were really good!

I cranked the gas grill all the way up and waited until the thermometer on the top was pegged. About 3 minutes per side and then I shut the gas off and coasted them on the warming rack for about 8 minutes. I thought they might be a little over done, but they were a nice medium rare.

The flavor was the best I ever ate. They were exactly as advertised, a rich deep beef flavor and so buttery from all the marble. Magnificent! I will order these again -
Old 09-05-2016, 01:22 PM   #498
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The flavor was the best I ever ate.
Snake River Farms is legendary in the BBQ community.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:41 PM   #499
Give me a forum ...

Robbie, you should try to order some Spanish Jamón ibérico.

I have not had it since our visit to Spain, almost 10 years ago.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:42 PM   #500

Sounds great, looks great. I'm sure it smells and tastes great too. At $80/pound I'd be afraid of screwing it up, and I'm pretty confident of my grilling. Or a power outage while I'm away ruining them. I think I'll probably stick to the under $20/pound filets I get at the local grocer. Still, I've bookmarked their page in case I reconsider.