Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-10-2016, 07:22 PM   #521
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Exactly right.
I'm a "rare" guy, but DW has me trained to do "medium rare". If she ever wanted such an abomination as "medium" I would have to just get her a BGE of her own.

My philosophy has always been that if the cow has been properly branded, that's cooked enough.
I'm a rare guy, maybe blue. Branded would work too. Just kill the outside bugs and don't let anyone else judge the doneness.

When DW and I married she didn't understand what a steak was. After much discussion she explained "we called that burnt meat".

Today she's a medium rare person.

Sadly after eating when FIL was in charge of the grill I understood. Watched the man grill a bunch of beautiful lobsters for about an hour! We both grinned and thanked him for an excellent dinner. He did steak the same way. Oddly he did an awesome turkey.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2016, 07:01 AM   #522

'Well done' is a contradiction in terms!

Old 10-11-2016, 11:29 PM   #523
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by clobber View Post
I know there are all kinds of definitions for being wealthy. Things like being in the top 1% (or .01%), or having a certain net worth, or income level. Personally, I like the link to having "no financial constraints on activities." So, what are some specific activities that might indicate a person is wealthy? Some of mine include:

1) Purchase international business class tickets (even if you hunt for the cheaper ones) without hesitation.

2) Never even consider going to Denny's, Sizzler, etc.

3) Never consider staying at Motel 6 or Super 8.

4) Spending $100-$200 on a whim. Want that new Amazon Echo? Just buy it and if it doesn't work out...who cares. It was only $200.

What are some of your indicators?

I am not in the Top 1 percent, but i have done all those.
1) I have a relative working for an airline, so i have gone first-class and business- class for a great discount to Asia and Europe. The heated nuts, the ice cream, the wine, the steak, the sleep ... all great in first class.
2) Have dined at the top steak house, but nothing beats grilling my own Prime Rib steak.
3) We use our timeshare, so we mostly stay at Marriots, Sheraton, Westgate and Ocean Beach Club. DW and i just spent 8 days on a 2 bedroom Marriot Summit suite in Park City, Utah to watch the Fall season. I always try to get a 2-bedroom suite or more, so it feels like home.
4) At this point in my life, i dont care much for accumulating more stuff. My latest was buying a 12.9 inch Ipad, but bought it on ebay for $700 like brand new - brand new cost $1000.

We use to have a loghome up in the mountains. Owned it for 6 years, but sold it - just got tired of the maintenance.
Nice cars ... not for show, but just enjoying driving a car.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-12-2016, 09:00 AM   #524
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I really only enjoy nice things if I can brag about them, that is truly the sweetest part.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:27 AM   #525

Really?
Old 10-12-2016, 10:39 AM   #526
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm 60, retired 5 years. I have an enormous lawn that's been turned to crabgrass years ago. I have nothing but time and am in good health, but whenever I try to tackle say 50 square feet I realize all the brutal labor involved and poop out.

Screw it. I took the first bid I got (stupid I know but we're talking f u money and extravagance). $8500 took me in a week from worst eyesore to best lawn in the neighborhood. Totally reworked sprinkler system because that was a major part of the problem. Now I inspect my neighbor's lawns and advise them where they have brown spots.

Extravagance is quickly solving problems with money.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:54 AM   #527

Yeah, I' gonna throw some dough at my front yard too. I did lawn and it all died. I'm going to hire it "xeriscaped" with rocks and shrubs that don't need much water or attention. We are all advised to use less water here and that sounds like the way to do it.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:53 AM   #528
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Yeah, I' gonna throw some dough at my front yard too. I did lawn and it all died. I'm going to hire it "xeriscaped" with rocks and shrubs that don't need much water or attention. We are all advised to use less water here and that sounds like the way to do it.
Plastic ferns and other synthetic material planting work fine. Neighbor has an artificial grass lawn and it is very nice. With that kind of stuff, water is used to wash off the dust on occasion.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:14 PM   #529

Hehe, yeah the local Ace hardware has a display of artificial turf right at the front door and will hook you up with installers too. That could look real good in with the xeriscape, a little green patch here and there.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:16 PM   #530
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob boag View Post
Now I inspect my neighbor's lawns and advise them where they have brown spots.
Some of my neighbors would inspect your wounds and advise you which ER to go to.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:03 PM   #531
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I really only enjoy nice things if I can brag about them, that is truly the sweetest part.

The true sweet spot is when the neighbors get so envious they won't even talk to you anymore.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:12 PM   #532

Obviously, it differs for each person. People will tend to put the indicator at their own limits, ie something they would do or have done, but close to their limit. Wealth and its indicators are relative and quite personal. There are almost always people more wealthy than you. Their indicators will be different too.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:31 PM   #533
Give me a forum ...

A few weeks ago I met a couple billionaires at a party, my first ever. From observation, their indicator appeared to be very slim wives.

Ha
Old 10-12-2016, 02:44 PM   #534

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
A few weeks ago I met a couple billionaires at a party, my first ever. From observation, their indicator appeared to be very slim wives.

Ha
Necessary but not sufficient criteria for billionaire status. My DW is very slim, great figure, exceptionally attractive. But I'm no billionaire??
Old 10-12-2016, 03:04 PM   #535
Give me a forum ...

Congratulation on having a beautiful wife. The pleasure that comes from a lovely woman cannot be overemphasized.

Like I say, this is my only sample of this group. I know they are billionaires from separate knowledge. I know that their wives are very slim because I can see.

I would certainly like to be a billionaire, but I am in a much less glamorous condition. My perk of wealth is different too, though my GF is also very thin. My perk is I that I have very low financial anxiety because I have always kept an eye on my nut. There are a number of things that I might like, but none of these is more attractive to me than knowing that I am not going to blow up financially, unless some societal mashup claims me.

Ha
Old 10-12-2016, 03:32 PM   #536

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha
And much younger I would suspect. With good prenups in place, a billionaires current wife should always be between 20 and 30 years old, no matter how old he is.

a.k.a. the Anna Nicole syndrome
Old 10-12-2016, 03:53 PM   #537

Other than the solar panels on the roof and the 4 motorcycles in the garage, I'm pretty stealthy. The FedEx and UPS trucks give me away, but the garage door is closed most of the time and my 2003 Taurus sits in the driveway. My lawn of dirt and weeds adds to the effect too.

But tomorrow UPS will deliver my lobster roll kit -
Old 10-12-2016, 05:37 PM   #538
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
But tomorrow UPS will deliver my lobster roll kit -
We have some friends in MA (I grew up there) that sent us a gift certificate to the same place. Plan is to order 6 - 1.5lb lobsters, invite two other couples over, and have a good time. Enjoy the lobster meat, but half the fun is cracking the lobster and getting it out!

Actually it is also fun watching 4 mid-westerners trying to figure out how to attack the lobster.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:11 PM   #539

Did you hear the story about the poor girl with the rich date?

To her horror she found that her beau ordered the best in the house, whole lobsters for 2 at the fancy place with bibs and everything. She had never even seen one before let alone on her plate. She did perfectly though, just watched and followed along one step behind her experienced date.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:29 PM   #540
Full time employment: Posting here.

Lobster and wealth is only the result of the need for them to be cooked alive and the problem that presents. If you are in the right location, they are just a common seafood.
Now a good wine on the other hand....