Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-27-2016, 04:57 PM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
(What really surprises me is the obsession with spending here. Must be the pessimistic FIRECALC predictions? Remember that it assumes you will die broke. So if you have $1 mill w/o anything else like SS or pension or investment returns, you can live on $50k/year for 20 years. Add in all the other stuff and why worry? I think participants are uncomfortable finally spending on themselves!)

I think you mean the obsession with *not* spending? Yup, it is well known. Along with studies that show large AD nest eggs. Still there is this reluctance to *splurge*

I dunno. It is hard and I've really had to force myself, but it can be done -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2016, 05:18 PM   #182
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Yes, you are correct... the 6 hour drive is door-to-door. To fly door-to-door is a little over 4 hours but the drive (to Midtown Manhattan) is much more stressful than flying.... and yes, parking is an issue (and expensive), public transportation is good and a car is a hassle.

To me this is where an autonomous car would be great. Get in and arrive and not have to worry about the actual driving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jabbahop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:21 PM   #183
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Surely, many 1st class passengers feel the same, as they are already seated and sipping some drinks while the coach passengers file by to the back and fight for overhead compartment space.

Whenever I got to fly 1st-class, I tried to hide my smugness, and looked down reading something.

I think there was a study that showed that coach passengers were significantly more unhappy flying when they had to board through the first class cabin than if they didn't. I guess the smugness isn't well hidden ;-)

jabbahop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:32 PM   #184
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbahop View Post
To me this is where an autonomous car would be great. Get in and arrive and not have to worry about the actual driving.

Agreed! No airport security lines, no armrest wars, no airline "meals". For reasonable distances, I'd take the automated chauffeur every time!
Old 07-27-2016, 05:33 PM   #185
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Don't worry, the market will at some point go into a decline for a year or two.
If one rebalances high-flying stocks into caviar during a bull market, it should be OK, right?

It's only when one spends his cash and keeps the stocks that it can hurt later.

Quote:
I think there was a study that showed that coach passengers were significantly more unhappy flying when they had to board through the first class cabin than if they didn't. I guess the smugness isn't well hidden ;-)
Hence, the uniclass airlines like Southwest. No more smugness, no more envy.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:39 PM   #186
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I think it's just the big seats, the passengers already seated with luggage stowed, and even drinks in their hands. That's enough even without a smugness vibe.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:11 PM   #187
Recycles dryer sheets

1-I have splurged on business airfare a few times. But it must be a relatively good "deal".

2-I find pleasure in discovering cheap yet good food. I enjoy a nice fancy dinner from time to time...but I reserve those for special times...like birthdays or anniversaries.

3-I have become a bit choosier about hotels. I always check tripadvisor first. Doesn't have to be the fanciest place...just nice relative to cost.

4-I just spent $6000 on a surgery for my dog. I love him like a son so I was grateful I have the means to do it.

I really struggle with spending. My NW is in the 8 figures yet I still feel guilty about spending it. Ultimately, I must feel there is value in where my money is going or I am not likely to let it go. . . whether a $10 meal or $2000 airline tickets. It all boils down to value to me.
Travelwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:25 PM   #188
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
....(What really surprises me is the obsession with spending here. Must be the pessimistic FIRECALC predictions? Remember that it assumes you will die broke. ...
Firecalc doesn't assume that you will die broke... it just calculates the ending value based on a certain series of annual returns and stops if the balance goes negative.

If someone has 90% success that means 10% of the scenarios ended up broke but 90% did not... and often substantial balances have been accumulated.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:26 PM   #189
Give me a forum ...

We almost splurged on business class for a trip to London next summer for a cruise. Decided to just choose economy plus...but a suite at the rear of the ship for the 14-day cruise. Not sure how we'll deal with a "butler" but I hope it's just a really good cabin steward.

Enjoying life!
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:27 PM   #190
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Absolutely.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:45 PM   #191
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelwanted View Post

I really struggle with spending. My NW is in the 8 figures yet I still feel guilty about spending it. Ultimately, I must feel there is value in where my money is going or I am not likely to let it go. . . whether a $10 meal or $2000 airline tickets. It all boils down to value to me.
You do have it bad. If I had 10 mill I would buy the million dollar house and the Maserati -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:49 PM   #192
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
You do have it bad. If I had 10 mill I would buy the million dollar house and the Maserati -
no doubt
Old 07-27-2016, 06:56 PM   #193
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
We almost splurged on business class for a trip to London next summer for a cruise. Decided to just choose economy plus...but a suite at the rear of the ship for the 14-day cruise. Not sure how we'll deal with a "butler" but I hope it's just a really good cabin steward.

Enjoying life!
Yeah we'd rather spend it on seriously upgraded accommodations that last at least a week or more.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:06 PM   #194
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One of our regular posters here has in their signature-"I am not rich, I am a poor man with money"
I so agree with that. My parents were middle class, and I learned investing from my father at a young age.
Our NW does not compare to some of the folks here (more power to them), but when I can fly on my Angel Flights and not worry about the cost, I guess I am wealthy.
My DW, bless her heart, is very frugal. Her late husband owned a business, and their take home was about 20K a year less than what we now get from 2 SS and 2 pensions. She is thrilled to not having to worry about every expense.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:45 PM   #195
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
The million dollar house would probably be way too big, say 7,000+ sf. If so, you'd have to wear roller blades just to get from one end to the other. Also you'd have to have so many staff around to care for it, that it would feel like Grand Central Station, or the unemployment office, rather than a Dream Home. Think of the echo; not cozy.

Your Maserati would get scratched or dented in parking lots at stores or restaurants the first week. After getting it repaired a few times, I'd expect that you would end up leaving it in the garage and using another car instead.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:54 PM   #196
Give me a forum ...

No, Robbie will buy in Palo Alto, where a $1M will get him a 1,200-sq.ft. tear-down home whose former owner is a hoarder. Didn't someone post a photo of a house listing like that?

About the Maserati, he will just continue to drive it, dents and scratches and all. He won't care. One cannot be slave to his possession. It's only a car, right, Robbie?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 07-27-2016, 09:01 PM   #197
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No, Robbie will buy in Palo Alto, where a $1M will get him a 1,200-sq.ft. tear-down home whose former owner is a hoarder. Didn't someone post a photo of a house listing like that?
I posted that awhile back, but the listing on Trulia now shows a value of $2.475M. (It sold for $1.75M in 2015):

Hoarder House In Palo Alto Is On the Market for $1.8 Million
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:05 PM   #198
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

About the Maserati, he will just continue to drive it, dents and scratches and all. He won't care. One cannot be slave to his possession. It's only a car, right, Robbie?

Lovely! Hopefully it would look prettier than this one.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:06 PM   #199
Give me a forum ...

Wait a minute. We were talking about scratches and dents in parking lots, not about a car being totaled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I posted that awhile back, but the listing on Trulia now shows a value of $2.475M:

Hoarder House In Palo Alto Is On the Market for $1.8 Million

Thanks. It's worse than I remembered. There goes almost 1/4 of Robbie's newfound fortune.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:18 PM   #200
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Your Maserati would get scratched or dented in parking lots at stores or restaurants the first week. After getting it repaired a few times, I'd expect that you would end up leaving it in the garage and using another car instead.
My Maserati does 185.
Dings were an offense,
now I don't drive.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote