Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-05-2016, 07:40 PM   #441
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitGal View Post
Though I fall into "Category 3," I would still not opt for the extra $2,300 for a seat. Instead, that same $ could buy me a couple more economy seats to Europe (so I could take two more trips with different friends). Doing so would leave more funds available to give to charity. I enjoy planning frugally so I can support the good work of underfunded non-profits AND still have my fun.

So, I do "judiciously spend" the savings, but still enjoy getting as much "bang for the buck" as possible. For example, DS was astounded that his mother (who shops at thrift stores and Aldi) has treated him to a Row 10 floor seat when he and I attend a Paul McCartney concert in a couple weeks. As I explained to him, seeing McCartney in person is on my bucket list and, since DH is unable to go with me, I am thrilled that DS will!!
I think the same way, though for me besides charity I also think about the kids, extended LTC, simply living unusually long or some future unknown. We have friends helping out grandkids and even great grandkids who weren't even born yet when they retired. It is nice they have the money to do that even after being retired for quite some time. I want to be in the same position in 20 years.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2016, 07:54 PM   #442
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Yeah Baby! I like you, you get me -

Planning on getting married in 2 years, girlfriend has a couple of kids and was a stay at home mom. Helping her. But yeah, other than the 80 grand or so for the house, not much.
The new wife and her kids may give you a chance to spend some money. I don't know what the 80 grand is for, but it's not something you spend every year either, right?

About food indulgence, food is still fairly cheap in this country, particularly for someone with a wide diet like I do. Other than really expensive stuff like caviar or exotic food like jamón ibérico or truffle, one can indulge in food and not spend that much compared to other indulgences. How much filet mignon or lobster can one eat before it comes out of his ears? I like a wide variety of food, and many food items that I like are not at all expensive.

We are really blessed to be in a country where food cost is not a big percentage of the living expenses as in other countries.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Yes, I Also Use That List....
Old 08-05-2016, 08:06 PM   #443
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yes, I Also Use That List....

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I think the same way, though for me besides charity I also think about the kids, extended LTC, simply living unusually long or some future unknown. We have friends helping out grandkids and even great grandkids who weren't even born yet when they retired. It is nice they have the money to do that even after being retired for quite some time. I want to be in the same position in 20 years.
+1 Charitable contributions are just one reason for my continued frugality. I come from a family who was never able to offer financial help, and who had little for LTC. OTOH, DH's parents bequeathed us enough $ so we could pay off our house in our 40's, which allowed us to double down on saving for ER. Their generosity was an amazing gift which truly helped smooth out our life a bit.

DH's family also paid for his undergrad years, making it much easier for him to pay for grad school. I paid for grad and undergrad myself (should join that peanut butter discussion!), so have a keen sense of just how nice it would be to "get some help."

I hope that DH, his wife, and daughter will appreciate their bequests as much as we appreciated the one from my in-laws. And if my little granddaughter shows academic interests, I hope to help with her schooling.

While I don't have the wealth of many on this forum, I feel "rich" because my LTC is paid for, part of my estate will go to charity, and the rest will help my family. DH's and my LBOM (and fairly simple lifestyle) are paying off as we had hoped. And I am enjoying the bucket list and travel so much that DS's frequent questions are, "Where are you going next?" and "When do you get home?"
Old 08-05-2016, 08:09 PM   #444
Give me a forum ...

Yup. I had the $7.95 steak & eggs special at the black bear today for lunch, it was good.

I'm gonna buy at least an ounce of fresh truffle this year, have tried before and been shut out. Season is very short. I'm gonna just slice off thin slices and eat them. After that I'm gonna shred them on everything.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:14 PM   #445
Give me a forum ...

Oh yeah, the 80 grand...

Solar power, and new flooring. I don't have much space so I'm thinking white marble tile with gold veins for the kitchen, bathrooms and foyer. Twenty five bucks a square foot just for the tile. With heater wires in the bathrooms. And hardwood and rich plush carpet and xeriscape the outdoors and a hot tub with a gazebo.

Let the good times roll!
Old 08-05-2016, 08:27 PM   #446
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Black Bear is a stealth restaurant chain that has grown a lot. Ate breakfast and lunch occasionally at one here maybe 10 years ago. Lots of food on the plate. Never realized how many there are now. They are even in Arizona.

I'd skip the marble and go for stone. Something to match the new granite counters....
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:30 PM   #447
Give me a forum ...

Marble is stone?
Old 08-05-2016, 08:33 PM   #448
Give me a forum ...

I had marble installed for the foyer. It was 10 years ago, and now the marble is dull. Marble is quite soft and porous. So, it can get stained too. The store talked me into doing some porcelain tiles that looked like marble, saying they would be more durable. I declined, wanting the real thing. Now, I regret it.

Marble needs to be polished every so often. My brother has a larger area than mine, and he has been having problem getting someone that knows how to do the job.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Indicators of Wealth?
Old 08-05-2016, 08:41 PM   #449
Give me a forum ...

Indicators of Wealth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Bragging either subtle or gross is the main pastime here. Since people here mostly think themselves wealthy, maybe bragging is an indicator of a certain level of financial wealth?

Ha

I think the decidedly generic stuff that I own is a perfect indicator of my wealth... :-P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:48 PM   #450
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I got plenty of generic stuff too. It's all going to the trash can.

Speaking of trash cans my new one arrived, a Rubbermaid commercial for the kitchen. Cost ninety bucks and fifty bucks to ship it. Kinda big.

So the marble gets dull eh? Maybe I need that new porcelain? Or "real stone" granite?

I dunno, I'm new to all this "rich stuff" -
Old 08-05-2016, 08:49 PM   #451
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Bragging either subtle or gross is the main pastime here. Since people here mostly think themselves wealthy, maybe bragging is an indicator of a certain level of financial wealth?

Ha
Not me since I know the stock market gives and the stock market takes .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:53 PM   #452
Give me a forum ...

I don't worry about that as I find it gives more than it takes.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:07 PM   #453

Marble requires a lot of work and is passe. It's also very slippery when wet, at least the polished stuff is. I was thinking the porcelain stone-look which is more timeless. Also, there are some really nice wood-look tiles out now. Might weather the dog nails better than hardwood.

To be an indicator of wealth, whatever you install has to look like the multi-million dollar houses on HGTV and the like.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:17 PM   #454
Give me a forum ...

Thanks, that's what I'm looking for, real experience.

Yes, I want it to be good looking and easy. I'm going to miss the linoleum as it's a 50-50 weather stuff bounces or breaks.

The hardwood is going to be the new stuff with some kind of ceramic coating that a guy advises his great dane doesn't damage.

All new to me, gimme the straight dope -
Old 08-05-2016, 09:25 PM   #455

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Thanks, that's what I'm looking for, real experience.

Yes, I want it to be good looking and easy. I'm going to miss the linoleum as it's a 50-50 weather stuff bounces or breaks.

The hardwood is going to be the new stuff with some kind of ceramic coating that a guy advises his great dane doesn't damage.

All new to me, gimme the straight dope -
If you are on slab, you can only use engineered hardwood. That stuff will not hold up to your dogs' nails and it cannot be sanded and refinished. Look at some of the tiles that look like hardwood. Redid a rental in Phoenix with this and it looked good. Good enough to sell for the high end of the neighborhood range. End of thread hijack!
Old 08-05-2016, 09:37 PM   #456
Give me a forum ...

The plan;

Kitchen, foyer and bathrooms - tile

Dining area - this new "dog nail resistant" hardwood

Rest - carpet

What I have now is;

Kitchen, foyer and bathrooms - Linoleum
Rest - carpet

No hijack here, I'm looking for the best way to do this that looks killer and cost is no problem. Small house, lotta dough -

And yes, slab foundation.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:47 PM   #457
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
If you are on slab, you can only use engineered hardwood. That stuff will not hold up to your dogs' nails and it cannot be sanded and refinished. Look at some of the tiles that look like hardwood. Redid a rental in Phoenix with this and it looked good. Good enough to sell for the high end of the neighborhood range. End of thread hijack!
Can you mention what this product is called? And maybe a brand or two?

Thanks

Ha
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:52 PM   #458

Home Depot carries a lot of it, in different grades. Various "brands." Pay up to the point you get the tile that lays flat on the slab. The cheap stuff does not. The cheap stuff chips as well. You see a lot of this now in model houses, at least in Arizona.

A good flooring contractor will carry higher grades.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:42 PM   #459
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitGal View Post
Though I fall into "Category 3," I would still not opt for the extra $2,300 for a seat. Instead, that same $ could buy me a couple more economy seats to Europe (so I could take two more trips with different friends). Doing so would leave more funds available to give to charity. I enjoy planning frugally so I can support the good work of underfunded non-profits AND still have my fun.
Well - I just slept 9+ hours on a 13 hour flight in a lay flat bed. VERY much worth it to me. I happen to have traveled quite a bit in coach, not sleeping, arriving in Europe between 5-7am, and spending the next week trying to get over the lag. That sure detracted from the fun.
clobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:20 AM   #460
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I have no fancy cars, but two nice homes at different climates to move between. A poster here has 4 (or is it 5) homes. I don't feel wealthy at all, but I am not envious either.
We also have 2 homes. We have 3 cars but use transit whenever practical (cost of transit is cheaper than cost of parking downtown). If another home made sense, we would buy it. We prefer to house sit and pet sit.

No envy at all. But we do appreciate good things and feel genuinely happy to share others good fortune in their lifestyles. But we also realize that more stuff means more work.