Join Early Retirement Today

Induction Cooktop...which one would you buy?
Old 04-19-2016, 03:36 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Induction Cooktop...which one would you buy?

DH and I have made the decision to swap out our 36" gas cooktop to an induction cooktop. I had planned to do it at some later point, but decided why not now while we're remodeling.

I've done quite a bit of research and am leaning to the Bosch 800 series cooktop mainly for its feature of setting a specific temperature. I'd love to try sous vide cooking w/o buying yet another specific use appliance. My previous cooktop had a grill/griddle burner which I've never used so the bridge feature has no appeal.

I'm also concerned about reliability and potential ease of repair. The US has not embraced this technology so I believe this concern is valid.

Thoughts? Experience w/induction that you care to share? TIA.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2016, 04:04 PM   #2

I've had a GE induction cooktop for 5 years and absolutely love it. Just as responsive as gas, as easy to clean as any smooth top electric, and much faster to get up to temperature than either.

We just bought a new Bosch dishwasher, and in general I think their products are quite reliable. There are no moving parts in an induction cooktop, so my thought is that if it works for a year (getting past electronic infant mortality issues), it's likely to last a long time. FWIW, our GE has been trouble-free.

Induction cooking appliances are getting more common - more manufacturers are producing them now than 5 years ago.

I was curious about the "specific temperature" setting you mentioned above so I went to the Bosch website and downloaded the manual. If you are referring to the AutoChef function, I didn't get the impression you could actually set the temperature, so you may want to check with Bosch to see if one of the low settings will give you sous vide capability, if you haven't already. That would really be cool!

Happy cooking!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:56 PM   #3

Thanks MBAustin. I purchased an induction hot plate for my makeshift kitchen and am loving it. It also has a temp mode to hold a specific temp, but I haven't tried it. I went to 3 appliance stores today, none of which had active units and all sales people said yes, Bosch's Auto Chef feature allows you to set and hold a specific temperature. It also has the lock and timer features which I think are standard.

There's a showroom about 15 mi. from my house that has fully functioning units and will demonstrate and teach you all the features. I need to coordinate another work from home day later this week where DH can be home again with the contractors and I can do some more shopping.

Electrician is coming by later this week to tell me if we have the capacity for another dedicated 220. I want to be able to use the wall oven, cooktop and microwave w/o tripping breakers. Hopefully we won't need to increase capacity...this reno is costing a fortune as it is .
Old 04-19-2016, 05:27 PM   #4

I have been considering an induction cook top. But then we had a power outage that lasted a day and a half this weekend. Last year I was without power for five days.

I would think the cool cook top would clean easier than a smooth top electric because the food would not burn on. Am I incorrect on that?

We had gas at the last house and I like cooking with gas but don't like trying to keep the burners clean. If I get gas it will be simple enough to work when the power is out.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
Thanks MBAustin. I purchased an induction hot plate for my makeshift kitchen and am loving it. It also has a temp mode to hold a specific temp, but I haven't tried it. ...
I am planning on an induction hot plate for my downstairs wet bar. Would you recommend the one you use? The brand and model?
Old 04-19-2016, 05:30 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I have been considering an induction cook top. But then we had a power outage that lasted a day and a half this weekend. Last year I was without power for five days.
Sounds like gas is the way to go.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:16 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We purchased the 8100 MC model of this Duxtop Induction "hot plate" for our RV.

http://www.amazon.com/1800-Watt-Port...eywords=duxtop

I am very impressed with this technology... tremendous control of heat like that (or better than, actually) of a high pressure gas unit. I will concede that a "power failure" would be a problem but that is less common than a gas outage.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I am planning on an induction hot plate for my downstairs wet bar. Would you recommend the one you use? The brand and model?
I purchased the same one as RonBoyd and have been very happy with it.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:01 PM   #9

Thanks RonBoyd and TrvlBug. I added the hot plate and a small set of pans to my wish list.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I will concede that a "power failure" would be a problem but that is less common than a gas outage.
If I run out of gas it is because I forgot to get the propane tank filled!
Old 04-19-2016, 07:31 PM   #11

Fortunately, we don't have power outage issues. The longest about 12-18 hours and I can count on one hand the number over the years! If during dinner time, we head to the pizza joint . And if we do have a bad EQ, the gas would be turned off anyhow. We stock up on charcoal and any cooking would be on the Weber.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
... If during dinner time, we head to the pizza joint . ...
For me, that's 35 to 50 minutes down the road depending on weather.
And, yes, I have made that pizza run more than once!
Old 04-20-2016, 04:37 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You buy a $1,600 induction cooktop, and you're also going to want to spring for double convections ovens--another $3,000. For the money spent, you could have a Viking or other ultra luxury stove system.

We enjoy our GE Profile double oven stove just as well for a small percentage of the induction and separate oven cost.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
You buy a $1,600 induction cooktop, and you're also going to want to spring for double convections ovens--another $3,000. For the money spent, you could have a Viking or other ultra luxury stove system.

We enjoy our GE Profile double oven stove just as well for a small percentage of the induction and separate oven cost.
I had and will continue to have separate cooktop and wall oven/micro. I just prefer that set up rather than a range, although I did seriously consider both options. My new wall ovens are both convection with the top oven being a speed oven, an oven and microwave in one! Love it (I should anyway as it won't be installed for another 6 weeks when cabinets come in) and this should meet my need for a double oven during holidays.

I can't wait until my new kitchen is done .
Old 04-20-2016, 09:30 AM   #15

TrvlBug - we did have to add a new circuit to the panel for the new cooktop and double oven when we reno'd, hope you don't have to. Would love to hear all about it when you get a full demo.

Hermit - you are correct, it's actually much easier to clean than a regular electric smooth top. I've never had to use the scraper which was a common occurrence on the old cooktop. It has been so long, I actually forgot all about that!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:36 AM   #16

I have an induction cooktop now in my rental appartement, first ever.

Only downside is that the controller is touchscreen. Which doesn't work well when it's wet (cooking spills, I make a big mess sometimes).
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:09 AM   #17

I've done more research and the Auto Chef feature of the Bosch 800 is not what was represented by some of the salespeople...I don't think they really knew as induction is a small part of their sales. It's for bringing temp up to your frying temp and letting you know when that temp has been reached. My finger test works great for me so I don't need to spend good $ on that . I am considering splurging for the bridge feature though (Benchmark model) or possibly Thermador's 'put the pan anywhere on the cooktop' feature.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:25 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I love Thermador's "put the pan anywhere" feature, but we wanted a range so we picked the Miele induction range. It was expensive but worked out to cost less than a cooktop with a large separate wall oven. I can't tell you how it works yet because it won't be installed until next week. Like you, I can't wait for my kitchen to be completed!
Persn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:13 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persn View Post
I love Thermador's "put the pan anywhere" feature, but we wanted a range so we picked the Miele induction range. It was expensive but worked out to cost less than a cooktop with a large separate wall oven. I can't tell you how it works yet because it won't be installed until next week. Like you, I can't wait for my kitchen to be completed!
The advantage of Bosch's Benchmark over the Thermador is that Bosch accommodates 5 pots vs. Thermador's 4. Creating the bridge allows you to put up to 3 pots anywhere on the bridge. Also Thermador has an alarm if pot boils over...that's something that would be really, really useful to me! Fortunately I have some time to decide.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:50 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm really looking forward to getting an induction range myself. Our kitchen layout won't accommodate a separate cooktop/oven so we have to go with a range. I have my eye on a double-oven Whirlpool induction range.
Spudd is offline   Reply With Quote