Join Early Retirement Today

Inexpensive Cabernet Recommendations
Old 08-25-2008, 02:06 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Inexpensive Cabernet Recommendations

Unfortunately, my favorite inexpensive Cabernet Sauvignon (Alexander & Fitch) is sold out at my local Trader Joe's for the foreseeable future. For those of you who have had it, any recommendations on something comparable?

The same goes for a recently discovered Chardonnay at Trader Joes (Blue Fin). They're out of that one too, so I'm looking for comparable replacements.

He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2008, 02:38 PM   #2

Had a nice Chilean cab (2001 Montes) over the weekend. I think we might have got it at Cost plus world market. Do you have those over on your end of the country? Probably wasn't to pricey, usually don't spend too much on South American wines.

Old 08-25-2008, 04:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
Had a nice Chilean cab (2001 Montes) over the weekend. I think we might have got it at Cost plus world market. Do you have those over on your end of the country? Probably wasn't to pricey, usually don't spend too much on South American wines.
Unfortunately, I've tried a few Chilean wines and didn't care much for them. My preference is for California wines (though not too fruity). A colleague of mine recommended Stag's Leap Fay vineyard, but when I checked the price, the average bottle of 5-year old vintage seems to be going for $70. Not exactly the price point I'm seeking...
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Old 08-25-2008, 05:09 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hard to beat Yellow Tail from australia. Almost universally available including costco, target, walmart and sams club along with grocery stores. About $8-10 for a 1.5L although I think they sell regular 750's at the grocery stores.

You also cant really go wrong with a BV coastal.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:13 PM   #5
Administrator

How about some Washington state reds? Columbia Crest and sister winery St Michelle both make big reds in the 6-10 dollar range.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:14 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife and I are not fans of big cabs. We tried a bottle of Rex Goliath cab a few weeks ago and it wasn't bad; a food freindly wine that was less than $10.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:17 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

My take on inexpensive is find one you like, buy a case and park it in a cool place for a couple of years. Just opened the first bottle of Berenger founders estate cab. 2004, that I think I bought for about $5/bottle a couple of years ago. Good enough for company!
Old 08-25-2008, 08:27 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
How about some Washington state reds? Columbia Crest and sister winery St Michelle both make big reds in the 6-10 dollar range.
I second this. Chateau St. Michelle has a really nice, not too fruity, cabsav which generally runs between $11-15, and Trader Joe's carries it (at least in Seattle and CA they did)
Old 08-26-2008, 09:15 AM   #9

Good suggestions, particularly the one about buying wine by the case. When TJ's has a wine that is popular, it sells out quickly and they can't get any more of it for at least 6 months.