Insomniacs?

Sheryl, have you tried any remedies, like black cohosh? I haven't and am generally suspicious of supplements.

No - I am also leery of supplements - even the "natural" ones. I take BC pills non-stop (I mean without the usual week off) and that controls it for now... but just miss one day and whammo!

I have heard that cutting back on wine especially red wine, in the evenings helps but I'm not that desparate yet!

My Wife has a terrible time sleeping, no more than 3 hours concurrent, she has tried just about everything, nothing seems to work.

Menopause was the definite onset, has tried some pills but they whack the hell out of her.

Her Mother had the same problem.

My Son once commented that, as my wife reeled off all the problems associated with menopause, that it just proves that God is a Man. :D

Martha and Sheryl

I tried the black cohish, it worked for a while but then stopped, also it takes a while for it to kick in like almost two months. It upset my stomach and then when they came out with all the precautions about HRT I read somewhere that all the "natural" remedies have the same things in them so I quit taking them.

I used to be able to set a sleep timer on the tv and put on one of the late night talk shows.

Then they decided that people watching tv at midnight must want loud noises like bangs, gongs and beeps...and of course all monologues must be mumbled while the punchlines are screamed.

So much for that "cure"...

Sheryl said:
I guess they must be wireless?  Or do you just never roll over in your sleep?
No, they have a fairly long slim cord, and they just seem to stay put. I don't think I toss about much.

I'm glad you're getting better.

My dad has always had major insomnia issues, and I fear as I get older I am becoming more like him.   I also inherited restless leg syndrome from my mother - it's not bad for me yet, but it was torture for her as she got older.
Heredity is not destiny- maybe your experience will be much easier!

Isn't it amazing how much sleep affects your mental outlook?  On days when I am sleep deprived the smallest setback feels like a major disaster, and I want to kill everyone who crosses my path.  Come to think of it, it's a lot like PMS.   :p

I have only seen PMS from the outside, but sleep deprivation for sure feels awful. And a good night's sleep is a gift from God.

BTW, I got 9 hours last night- in 2 shifts-12:30 or so to 5:30, then 6 or so to 9:45. One think I notice is that as I get older, I have fewer brain storms like () is reporting in the late evening. I tend to think that whatever it is, it can wait. What do I have to do that is so important anyway?

Ha

Ladies..

I've been taking Estroven which has eliminated my hot flashes. It's OTC and can be found at Costco or Sam's club. It has Soy and Black Cohosh among other vitamin/minerals. At a luncheon with about 20 former co-workers, I found at least half of them had been taking it with good results. So I decided to try it and have great results.

(), I have heard that some people put a paper and pencil by their bed and then is they wake up and think of something, they write it down and then can fall back to sleep since they are not afraid of forgetting it. They also say to keep the bedroom cooler and to use it for sleeping only, not TV. (We have a TV in our bedroom)

I usually fall asleep shortly after going to bed and saying my prayers-sometimes even while I am saying my prayers! I usually sleep through the night, unless DH is having a good snoring night! I get very grumpy if I have not slept well.

Ladies-I have also had it pretty good so far with the hot flashes. It seems that I will have one sometimes shortly after I go to bed. Once I throw the covers off for a couple of minutes (our bedroom is usually pretty cool), and then cover back up, that is it for the night. I get very few during the daytime. I hope and pray that it stays this way and does not get any worse. I hate taking pills and have only starting taking calcium again yesterday, even though I was told a while back that I am starting to have thinning bones. I think that I will go pop another couple calcium pills!

Dreamer

Dreamer said:
(), I have heard that some people put a paper and pencil by their bed and then is they wake up and think of something, they write it down and then can fall back to sleep since they are not afraid of forgetting it. They also say to keep the bedroom cooler and to use it for sleeping only, not TV. (We have a TV in our bedroom)

That would be swell if I didnt think of 20 more things! If I went with this approach, i'd need a palmpilot to keep tabs on all the stuff! ;)

I've tried all the approaches...I even set up a separate room JUST for sleeping, quiet, no tv, cooler, etc. Tweaked everything in it. tv/no tv. Cool/cold/warm. What I wore to bed.

What sucked was what worked one night wouldnt work the next.

Now a little tiny pill, and nighty night. I'm still liking it. My wife probably isnt liking it right now though because I slept through her waking up and getting ready for work, so it looks like she had to make her own breakfast...which means I better have a pretty good dinner on the table when she gets home and get my good lingerie out. ;)

Ha...dont talk about PMS or menopause. They're just bringing it up to see if one of us will take the bait and start talking about it. I believe in 32 states (Martha?) thats grounds to tie one of us up and break out the bamboo sticks...

Back
Top Bottom