Instant Cooker

Yes. Good price, too.

Makes a great pot of beans very quickly. Also shredded meats. I haven't gone beyond that yet, but if you look at the threads here, lots of people swear by them for a variety of recipes.

LOVE my instant pot. Made a nice chicken chili last night, 15 minutes to get tender moist chicken, beans and veggies. I make chicken stock all the time now, SO EASY and leads to delicious, healthy soups and stews. Also make perfect rice in it - super fast.

Our Instant Pot is one of the best products we've ever purchased. Just used it last night to make garlic mashed potatoes in about 10 minute. Highly recommended!

Interesting. We have been doing quite a few Crock Pot recipes lately and have thought about getting one of these. Now might have to pull the trigger... :)

Use ours several times weekly. Steel cut oats in 5 minutes, of pressure. At this altitude I used to try 45 minutes and they weren't done.

I use mine mostly to cook dried beans, but I have also made beef stew and mushroom risotto in it. It's much easier than a stove top pressure cooker, And you can use it as a slow cooker too. The sautée feature is great to brown meat or vegetable before pressure cooking.

There is a Facebook page where you can get lots and lots of suggestions of recipes or items to cook in it. They also provide links to recipes and sites with recipes. That has given me lots of suggestions of other items to cook.

I just ordered one. Thanks for the FB page tip as a place to get recipes.

I use mine mostly to cook dried beans, but I have also made beef stew and mushroom risotto in it. It's much easier than a stove top pressure cooker, And you can use it as a slow cooker too. The sautée feature is great to brown meat or vegetable before pressure cooking.

There is a Facebook page where you can get lots and lots of suggestions of recipes or items to cook in it. They also provide links to recipes and sites with recipes. That has given me lots of suggestions of other items to cook.

You sold me on the risotto! I love, Love, LOVE risotto, but it is a huge pain to make on the stove and so I don't enjoy it nearly as much as I like.

DW and DD love theirs. I love the output. :)

FWIW, the latest issue of Consumer Reports has an article on the Instant Pot. The bottom line:

The instant pot lacks the power to sear meat...but that's all we found to complain about after putting this pot through its paces - and that's really saying something.

Yes, I have an Instant Pot and it has been very useful.

Happy cooking.

There are a number of cookbooks for Instant pots too. Try Amazon or Google to see what is available. I found a few of them were mentioned frequently, on the Facebook page.

FWIW, the latest issue of Consumer Reports has an article on the Instant Pot. The bottom line:
The instant pot lacks the power to sear meat...but that's all we found to complain about after putting this pot through its paces - and that's really saying something.

Interesting- I have no trouble searing meat in the instant pot. I get beautiful browning (Maillard reaction). Check out this piece of chuck steak ready for pot roast - looks like a carmelized crust to me:

Attachments

• IMG_0333.jpg
    IMG_0333.jpg
    706.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
I suspect the "can't sear meat" review is operator error. I do it all of the time with the "sauté" function adjusted to "more"

I've had and used a pressure cooker for years, and bought an Instant pot last year. LOVE not having to adust the temp to keep the pressue. it much more set and forget it. We are making awesome yogurt too!

I suspect the "can't sear meat" review is operator error. I do it all of the time with the "sauté" function adjusted to "more"
I'm pretty sure my crusty brown finish was on the "medium" sauté setting. I do have the pot next to the stove with the stove fan on high. I have had no trouble getting excellent browning, but I'm also careful not to crowd the pot.

In fact, I have to be very careful with onions, because once they start to brown they get dark quick!

We bought one last Friday at Target for $100 to replace our rice cooker that just died. I was thinking this morning that we over spent and considered taking it back (still in the box), then saw the Amazon offer. Suddenly my schedule changed and I was making a quick trip to Target, where they matched the Amazon price, plus I got 5% for using their credit card.

I'm still wondering if we'll end up buying another rice cooker though. If we cook our main course in the instant pot, where will we cook our rice?

I'm still wondering if we'll end up buying another rice cooker though. If we cook our main course in the instant pot, where will we cook our rice?

In a saucepan?

We bought one last Friday at Target for $100 to replace our rice cooker that just died. I was thinking this morning that we over spent and considered taking it back (still in the box), then saw the Amazon offer. Suddenly my schedule changed and I was making a quick trip to Target, where they matched the Amazon price, plus I got 5% for using their credit card.

I still use my rice cooker, because it does a nice job, and it cooks small amounts.

I've never tried to do rice in the instant pot. I bought it for soups, broths, stews and beans and to steam long-cooking vegetables. Haven't tried desserts either. Desserts are not a priority in our household, LOL!

we love ours. makes great cheese cake (among other things). It should be great if you use it. If you don't .. like anything else is a waste if it just takes up space.

Back
Top Bottom