Instant Pot IP-DUO60 7-in1 Pressure Cooker

I received an IP for Christmas this year and am still playing around with it. I made a great chili this weekend, but am not sure it saved that much time really.

I received an IP for Christmas this year and am still playing around with it. I made a great chili this weekend, but am not sure it saved that much time really.

We picked one up Black Friday shopping and only used it a few times.
Yeah, I'm not sure if we're seeing the time savings. IMO, prep take up a lot of the overall cooking time and you're not really saving a lot of time during the parts when you need to brown/saute proteins and veg. I suspect it's going to save time while enhancing the cooking for recipes where we normally need to simmer a dish at a consistent temp for a really long time to enhance flavours.

However, I'm finding the proteins cooked better; more tender. I also like the versatility. We made a nice congee/rice porridge in it compared to our other poor attempts in a regular pot.

I like using it to make stew, it makes the meat tender quickly instead of a slow simmer for 4 hours, however in this cold spell I'm going to put a cruset pot on the stove and simmer all afternoon for a toasty warm kitchen..

I bought the 6qt Duo 7 in 1 Instant Pot on Black Friday at Canadian Tire. It was reduced from $129.99 to $69.99 (they ran out of inventory in 3 hours). The principal reason I bought it was to make yogurt. Since a decent yogurt maker costs at least $70, it was a no-brainer.

Six weeks later, I wouldn’t say I’m an expert, but I’m loving this appliance and feeling comfortable trying out new recipes without a cookbook. (I have never used a pressure cooker before).

I have made yogurt three times. The yogurt is far better than storebought. I like to strain it to make Greek style yogurt, which means I am now baking with whey rather than buying buttermilk. I have made whole-wheat whey bread (amazingly moist) and whey pancakes with cranberries, which turned out light and fluffy. I’ve made black bean soup, beef stew, pasta, meatballs and cheesecake, and I’m just getting started. The only problem is that I don’t have space for a freezer to store all this good stuff!

As for cookbooks, I started with the Instant Pot App, and I am finding tons of great recipe ideas on YouTube. Favourite YouTubers include Flo Lum, Indigo Nili and Instapottin’ with Poonam.

I’ve had my 6 quart duo for a couple of years now. Love the yogurt, as well. A couple of Facebook groups share recipes-I’ve made great soups. Enough that dh can hardly wait for cooler weather to start making soup. And he makes great applesauce every week.

Using it to make pulled pork is a huge time saver. We used to make PP in the slow cooker, and it was a 12 hour thing. When we were preparing for the Fourth of July we would cook six pork shoulder roasts, so it was several days of continuous crock pot time.

The IP is 45 minutes at pressure, IIRC. 6 roasts would take most of a day, but not overnight.

I’ve had my 6 quart duo for a couple of years now. Love the yogurt, as well. A couple of Facebook groups share recipes-I’ve made great soups. Enough that dh can hardly wait for cooler weather to start making soup. And he makes great applesauce every week.

How cold does it need to be to make soup? It's January.

DS got me a Power Cooker XL for Christmas. It has all the features of the Instant Pot from what he saw. I love it for steaming veggies and I cooked a whole chicken in it. I'll be trying yogurt soon. I need a better steamer basket. And a trivet for canning. I think Instant Pot compatible accessories will fit it well. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The money I save making yogurt in the IP will pay for mine in a few more months, max.

Where it saves time is when I come home and decide, I would love to make a pot of chili tonight but all I have are the dried beans. An extra 5-10 minutes in the IP and the beans are now nice and soft. I also think that many flavors blend better together under pressure.

I like using it to make stew, it makes the meat tender quickly instead of a slow simmer for 4 hours, however in this cold spell I'm going to put a cruset pot on the stove and simmer all afternoon for a toasty warm kitchen..

Exactly! It saves a great deal of time on stews.

I don’t like it for chili made with ground meat. Something happens to the texture. The ground meat is just pummeled to death by the pressure. Mouth feel is ruined.

It’s awesome for anything with chunks of meat.

My absolute fave is lamb shanks, but you need to have shorter shanks, so you might need to ask the butcher to cut them if too long. Good recipe on dadcooksdinner.com.

Short ribs are pretty awesome too.

Beans - super time saver and no soaking! I also made the fastest split pea soup ever a few weeks ago - amazing.

How cold does it need to be to make soup? It's January.

DS got me a Power Cooker XL for Christmas. It has all the features of the Instant Pot from what he saw. I love it for steaming veggies and I cooked a whole chicken in it. I'll be trying yogurt soon. I need a better steamer basket. And a trivet for canning. I think Instant Pot compatible accessories will fit it well. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have a salbree stainless steel streamer basket, about $28 on Amazon. Love it. My IP came with a trivet, so didn’t need one.

Back
Top Bottom