Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-29-2015, 12:40 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I have high end Kuhn Rikon. I have had others from time to time, IMO the Kuhn Rikon is the best by far.
Just curious: what makes this Swiss brand so much better?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2015, 12:51 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
I've seen these multi-function electrics on tv and may try one in the future. I used to have a crockpot (may have been a wedding present in 1976!) but I never liked it. I may be the only person who could burn something in a crockpot.
You might like a vacuum insulated thermal cooker. They mainly cook with retained heat so no worries about burning food or even the power going off.

Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 03:53 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Growing up, my Mom used a stovetop pressure cooker, mostly for soups.

I have a Hawkins Futura stovetop one that I love to use. http://www.amazon.com/Futura-Hawkins.../dp/B000GR7776

When I first got it I used it mostly for soup or chili, but I've been expanding my horizons. I enjoy watching the kitchen shows on QVC. I never buy anything, I just enjoy the kitchen gadgets and demonstrations. That's where I found the Blue Jean Chef https://www.facebook.com/bluejeanchef/?fref=ts

She has great simple ideas for pressure cooking. I have her first pressure cooker book http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Jean-Chef...th+laurenceand I will buy her 2nd one soon http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Jean-Chef...edith+laurence

From her I've learned how to make rice dishes (fantastic mushroom risotto) and pasta dishes. I've also made her pot roast and ribs. The Bob Warden books are good too.

Start with a few books from the library and see how you like it.

I've seen these multi-function electrics on tv and may try one in the future. I used to have a crockpot (may have been a wedding present in 1976!) but I never liked it. I may be the only person who could burn something in a crockpot.

Sue J Which cook book due you prefer. I don't like cookbooks that call for a lot on ingredients I don't have or need to buy in order to make a recipe I may not like. Besides, I'm lazy, and like it simple and quick. Same with making a lot of sauces.

tmm99. Thank you for all your input. I am anxious to try the ribs. Something I don't often do, due to the time involved. Do you cook them entirely in the pressure cooker, or just precook them to tenderize and then put on grill or in oven to finish off. I have seen it done both ways.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:24 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
[B]
tmm99. Thank you for all your input. I am anxious to try the ribs. Something I don't often do, due to the time involved. Do you cook them entirely in the pressure cooker, or just precook them to tenderize and then put on grill or in oven to finish off. I have seen it done both ways.
I cook them in the pressure cooker and then put them in the oven with BBQ sauce (only for few minutes on broil or at high temp) to finish it off to get the charred/caramelized/concentrated sauce going. I also try to submerge the whole ribs in the pressure cooker (otherwise the part that is above the liquid tend to have more firmer/dryer meat)
Old 11-30-2015, 03:26 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Just curious: what makes this Swiss brand so much better?
It is much more quiet and all self-contained; no weight to get lost (or get knocked off and spew steam when transferring to sink for cold water quick release).

I have a Kuhn Rikon that I love - but just got a Cuisinart electric pressure cooker from Costco.com. Nice not to have to stay in the kitchen while the electric version is pressure cooking.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:39 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I have 2 Instapots.

Can't say enough good about them (and being vegan I miss out on all the meat dishes that can be made).

Use it minimum 2 times per day. Oatmeal in the AM, come home after walking the dogs, all ready. Goes into a warm cycle when finished cooking. Sweet potatoes and corn. Soups are a breeze.

I recommend the basic pot, not the fancy smancy ones. Less to go wrong.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:34 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I have used pressure cookers, from the Presto jiggle top, to the Kuhn Rikon today. Mostly it's to make tender beef stew meat fast, or a fast meltingly tender pot roast. But making different beans from dried instead of canned is a great use of the pressure cooker. A book I'd recommend is one I recently checked out from the local library. It's called The Hip Pressure Cooker by Laura Pazzaglia. It's one of the few pressure cooker cookbooks I've seen that has times and settings for both stovetop pressure cookers and electric/hotpots pressure cookers.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:14 AM   #28

Today is Prime Day at Amazon and the Instant Pot 7 in 1 is on sale for $69.95 which is less than the 6 in 1. Regular price is $119.95 so that's $50 off.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I'm getting one!
Old 07-12-2016, 09:21 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Last Christmas, DW ordered a kitchen appliance for a gift. The day it showed up, we also received a second box from the same vendor. The second box contained a pressure cooker that we didn't order. I stuck the unopened box in the garage (where it still sits today) thinking the vendor might realize the error and request that we return it. I didn't think any more about this pressure cooker until I saw this thread pop up today. Maybe I should open it up and try it out? I've never used a pressure cooker before. I grill a lot (a whole lot).
Old 07-12-2016, 10:58 AM   #30

I picked up an Instant Pot 6-in-1 a couple months ago, maybe my experience is the exception but I didn't like it and returned it after a couple weeks. I was planning on using it to replace a Sanyo rice cooker/steamer but found the Sanyo much easier to use and cleanup for most of the cooking I would use it for.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:08 AM   #31

I have had an IP since May, and I use it regularly. It does a fantastic job on hard-boiled eggs (actually steamed), the shells peel right off even when the eggs are fresh. I cook beans, rice, potatoes, shredded beef/pork/chicken for sandwiches or tacos. Mac & cheese, stews, soup, turkey drumsticks. I'm sure I'll find more recipes once the weather turns cool again and I get back to cooking.

I saw the Prime Day deal and considered purchasing a second IP for our mountain home, but decided against it. I did get some other deals, though -- one of which was the Echo. I look forward to playing with that.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:14 AM   #32
Dryer sheet aficionado

I had one and returned it.

I made a few things in there that were pretty good, beans and corned beef.

One time I made the mistake of putting shrimp in too early. It turned to mush. After trying it my BF was so repulsed that he declared he would never eat anything from that pot again. Don't put shrimp in too early!!
Old 07-12-2016, 01:06 PM   #33

Quote:
Today is Prime Day at Amazon and the Instant Pot 7 in 1 is on sale for $69.95 which is less than the 6 in 1. Regular price is $119.95 so that's $50 off.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I'm getting one!
+1
Old 07-12-2016, 01:48 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I have an Insta Pot, and while I don't use it as often as many others, when I do I really appreciate its performance. I mainly use it for soups and stews - Winter types of food. I think it can also be used as a slow cooker. I really like the removable stainless steel 'pot' that makes cleaning a simple process.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:16 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

We saw Sue J's post about the Amazon Prime Day discount so we ordered one - planning to return it if we didn't like it.

Our test run was a pork butt (just added onion, jalapeno and seasoning) that was ready in 35 minutes. It was tasty, tender and didn't get that "slimy" texture that pulled pork sometimes has.

Today we made a ham & bean soup with dry beans and a leftover ham bone in 20 minutes. Also delicious!

We love the speed, but also it's nice to not heat up the whole kitchen while making dinner during a mid-sumer heat wave. DW says we're not returning it now.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:59 PM   #36

I bought stainless steel steamer baskets from Amazon that fit and stack on my Insta pot. Yesterday I steamed 3 kinds of vegetables and turkey in the baskets and made quinoa in the pot. I also made soup which cooked all day in the Tiger thermal cooker after a bit of boiling on the stove. It has been really hot here so it is nice to be able to cook food without heating up the kitchen.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 02:16 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

$58 today for this Instant Pot

Instant Pot IP-LUX60 6-in-1 Programmable Pressure Cooker, 6-Quart 1000-Watt
Old 11-24-2016, 02:22 PM   #38

Where?
Old 11-24-2016, 03:12 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-I.../dp/B0073GIN08

Not the DUO
Old 11-24-2016, 03:31 PM   #40

That's weird. When I searched Amazon, I got a different, higher price. Maybe you have to be an anointed Amazon user to get the good prices...