Join Early Retirement Today

Instant Pot IP-DUO60 7-in1 Pressure Cooker
Old 11-28-2015, 04:10 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Instant Pot IP-DUO60 7-in1 Pressure Cooker

I was on the fence about purchasing the above item when I saw it on sale at Amazon yesterday for 79.99. Buy the time I got around (was distracted) to clicking on the Buy link, it had jumped back up to $134.99. (not happy)

Walmart had the same unit advertised for $99.99. I put it in my basket, got a phone call, then went to check out and it jumped up to $113.00. Disgusted, I just went ahead an bought it before it jumped up again.

Anyway, I never have used a pressure cooker, and I'm not sure if I will wind up using this, or just eventually trying to find a place to store it.

I'd like to hear from anyone who uses one. This is an electric one called Instant Pot. What kind is yours and what dishes do you make in it. How long does it take you? What's your felling about them? Any advice?
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2015, 04:28 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I love ours, though I do not use it as a pressure cooker. I usually use it for steaming, soup and as a crock pot. The steamer baskets from our rice cooker fit on top and are stackable to cook several layers of food all at once. It is a big time and energy saver. I also like it because I can cook raw meat through first using a heat setting and then use it as a crock pot for tenderizing. It is much more energy efficient than our stove.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 04:31 PM   #3

That one is listed right now on WalMart's site for $104.97.

People who use pressure cookers routinely seem to absolutely love them. The rest of us consider them rather strange contraptions.

However, when I was brewing my own beer I had a large pressure canner and would often make an extra couple of gallons of wort. I filled quart canning jars with the surplus wort and used the canner to make a great supply of starters for building up a yeast sample to pitching size. I loved that aspect, so I can see why those who have large gardens would enjoy canning fruits and vegetables.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 04:33 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I have high end Kuhn Rikon. I have had others from time to time, IMO the Kuhn Rikon is the best by far.

Ha
Old 11-28-2015, 05:09 PM   #5

I like my IP. I was already a stovetop pressure cooker user, but the IP replaces that and the slow cooker plus I make yogurt in it.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 05:53 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I bought one a few years ago to cook beans and lentils instead of buying them canned. It works great and only takes a few minutes of cooking time (4-10 min depending on the bean once pressurized).

Now I've started using it for various shredded meat dishes instead of a slow cooker. It's probably one of my most used kitchen items.

I bought a cheapie fagor which is functional but I wish I had splurged for a Kuhn rikon that haha mentioned.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 06:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I have high end Kuhn Rikon. I have had others from time to time, IMO the Kuhn Rikon is the best by far.

Ha
+1
I grew up with my mom cooking every day with an old fashioned one that had a "weight". It would hiss and whistle away, but it helped save on cooking gas that was expensive and in short supply.

Now, I use my very quiet and efficient Kuhn Rikon to make meat stews, lentils and sometimes, beans. I love it!
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 06:47 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

The Instant Pot is very popular these days. They must be great, because everyone loves them.

I thought of getting one, but I really am not that interested in cooking any more. For those who are, I understand that they are a steal for the prices we saw today.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 07:02 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Walmart had the same unit advertised for $99.99. I put it in my basket, got a phone call, then went to check out and it jumped up to $113.00. Disgusted, I just went ahead an bought it before it jumped up again.
Interesting. Do you buy equities that way?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 07:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Interesting. Do you buy equities that way?
Well, truth be told. Sometimes. (when I'm waiting for a dip, and the dip never comes.)
Old 11-28-2015, 07:42 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I love my electric pressure cooker. I bought an Emeril electric pressure cooker over a year ago for $120 (I just looked up my order so that's the price I paid. I thought it was much less... It was $120 plus shipping and taxes..) I used to own a manual pressure cooker, but I think I used it only like twice - I was just too scared (worried that it would explode - something horrible would happen and I would lose my eye sight or something!) The electric pressure cooker is so very quiet - You cannot even tell it's being pressurized except right before the valve gets locked when the heat is going up.

I use my Emeril pressure cooker a lot. No longer use the slow cooker at all. I love making soups in it - last night I made beef soup - I did 13 minutes on high (with some onions, celery and carrots and a big can of diced tomatoes) - release after 15 minutes. (I sometimes cook the meat in soup and juice with some veggies for 10 minutes and then add more veggies and run for 2 minutes if I want more crunchy veggies.)

Short ribs 35 minutes,
Pulled pork in 40 minutes.
Brown rice (22 minutes on high / release after 20 minutes - I looked up "perfect brown rice pressure cooker" on google, but I adjusted the amount of water after a couple of tries - I use 2+1/2C water or broth with 2C long grain brown rice),
Picnic shoulder (Big pieces - 70 min and 14 min release),
Frozen chicken breast (10 min - 15 min release),
Boiled eggs (with a steamer basket) 6 minutes on low,
Whole artichokes with a steamer basket (15 minutes),
Pork spare ribs (can't remember how many minutes - I think I did maybe 13 minutes and then put them in the oven with BBQ sauce) etc, etc.

You save so much time! I love stews and soups and I used to spend hours making them, but now I spend like 30 minutes!! That is just crazy fast!! I have been making beef soup once or twice a month - it is a great way to eat tons of veggies, and it is economical and probably healthy because you can just buy cheaper cuts of lean meats and lean stew meats are always very inexpensive.

I highly recommend this book. I have made several recipes from it.
Great Food Fast (Best of the Best Presents) Bob Warden's Ultimate Pressure Cooker Recipes: Bob Warden: 9781934193792: Amazon.com: Books I downloaded a few other books, but none of them sounded or even looked very good. It is a trial and error kind of process on timing, but you get a hang of it after a while.

Also this website..
http://www.hippressurecooking.com
This person uses the same pot you have. I often reference the cooking time there.
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:21 PM   #12

We have had one for about three years.

Chili, Soups, Stews, all great all fast!
Short ribs Great
Cheese Cake Need a little work but it worked
Boiled eggs! The BEST! never have problems pealing again!
Chicken an Dumplings! Another winner!

Beef Stew: Flour stew meat, put in cooker and saute till brown, throw in onions, carrots, potatoes, cover with water, add any other seasonings you wish, *I add couple of bullion cubes, put the lid on cook for 34 min. Total time from opening the fridge to on the table with a glass of wine, less than an hour!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:42 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

We have one on the way from Amazon. DW is having fun looking up uses for it. Like what people have to say here!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Buck2520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:52 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Is the taste/texture of the meats and vegetables different when cooked this way rather than using a crockpot? I was under the impression that pressure cooking just allowed the water/fluids to boil at a higher temperature, so the temps were higher and therefore cooking occurred more rapidly.

I like using the crockpot--throw the stuff in, 8 hours later dinner is done, almost like someone else made it for us. The timing isn't critical, and it doesn't need to be attended. If a pressure cooker does things >better<, then I'd be tempted, otherwise probably not. Energy use isn't a significant factor IMO--in the winter the "waste" heat is appreciated, and I could probably cook stews for many years for the price of a $100 pot.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 10:13 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Is the taste/texture of the meats and vegetables different when cooked this way rather than using a crockpot? I was under the impression that pressure cooking just allowed the water/fluids to boil at a higher temperature, so the temps were higher and therefore cooking occurred more rapidly.

I like using the crockpot--throw the stuff in, 8 hours later dinner is done, almost like someone else made it for us. The timing isn't critical, and it doesn't need to be attended. If a pressure cooker does things >better<, then I'd be tempted, otherwise probably not. Energy use isn't a significant factor IMO--in the winter the "waste" heat is appreciated, and I could probably cook stews for many years for the price of a $100 pot.
Here's what Instant Pot has to say about its advantages in comparison with a slow cooker:

Why is Electric Pressure Cooker Better Than Slow Cooker?

Doesn't persuade me, yet. I don't even have a slow cooker.

At the moment Instant Pot brand is the hottest thing since hula hoops AFAIK. So, if slow cookers become less popular, maybe I might pick one up at a bargain price some day.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 10:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post

I think most of the newer electric pressure cookers serve as both pressure cooker and slow cookers, depending on the setting you chose. I know the one I ordered does, as well as seer the meet. If it can replace a slow cooker, than you can probably chuck the crock pot and use the pressure cooker in it's place.

But I haven't had the opportunity to test it out yet, so better to get information first hand from someone who has used one

I'm hoping it will make meat more tender, as I am losing the last of my chewing teeth on Tuesday.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:26 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Here's what Instant Pot has to say about its advantages in comparison with a slow cooker:

Why is Electric Pressure Cooker Better Than Slow Cooker?

Doesn't persuade me, yet. I don't even have a slow cooker.
Thanks. Among other things, they say:
Quote:
Another disadvantage of slow cookers is that they don’t heat the food at a temperature high enough to remove common toxins (for example in raw kidney beans, and some other beans). On the other hand, electric pressure cookers are very good at detoxifying food, owning [sic] to its higher than boiling point operating temperature.
I don't find the "detoxification" to be very compelling, and they aren't being "removed", but changed into something else. If the toxins are being modified due to the higher temps, I'd guess beneficial things (vitamins?) might also be modified or that tastes might be different (maybe better?)
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 05:42 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

A great source for PC recipes is this Yahoo group:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...rRecipes/files

they, also, have a special section with the "Owner's Manual" for many pressure cookers.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:52 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
I'm hoping it will make meat more tender, as I am losing the last of my chewing teeth on Tuesday.
It can get the meat as tender as you could make it in a slow cooker or in a pot on the stove. I personally don't see the texture difference in the meat at all. I haven't been much of a slow cooker person though - I often did slow cooking using my Le Creuset cast iron enamel pot since you cannot (at least with my slow cooker) borwn meat or veggies in it. Also, chicken and pork require much shorter cooking time than 8 hours and it was just not that convenient to use a slow cooker that needed just a couple of hours.

As for my soup with lean beef, the meat is tender although I use lean meat, but there is some learning curve involved (All books tend to tell you to cook longer than needed at least for my cooker). You would probably end up experimenting a bit with different release method (as well as cooking time - Any meat will get tough if you cook it too long - I tend to err on the undercooked side since that is fixable by cooking it a little longer the conventional way so I can taste the meat to check) but IMHO, if you stick with a slower release (wait 15 minutes and release) with meat, it comes out better.

Fibrous meat tend to get even more tender than the lean meat (although more fatty) so if lean cut of meat is still too tough to you without your chewing teeth, I would try chuck roast and make a pot roast or maybe use lamb shanks or something.

I would love to hear what you make with it and how they turn out!
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:03 PM   #20

Growing up, my Mom used a stovetop pressure cooker, mostly for soups.

I have a Hawkins Futura stovetop one that I love to use. http://www.amazon.com/Futura-Hawkins.../dp/B000GR7776

When I first got it I used it mostly for soup or chili, but I've been expanding my horizons. I enjoy watching the kitchen shows on QVC. I never buy anything, I just enjoy the kitchen gadgets and demonstrations. That's where I found the Blue Jean Chef https://www.facebook.com/bluejeanchef/?fref=ts

She has great simple ideas for pressure cooking. I have her first pressure cooker book http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Jean-Chef...th+laurenceand I will buy her 2nd one soon http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Jean-Chef...edith+laurence

From her I've learned how to make rice dishes (fantastic mushroom risotto) and pasta dishes. I've also made her pot roast and ribs. The Bob Warden books are good too.

Start with a few books from the library and see how you like it.

I've seen these multi-function electrics on tv and may try one in the future. I used to have a crockpot (may have been a wedding present in 1976!) but I never liked it. I may be the only person who could burn something in a crockpot.