Intercst, The Badger, ***** etc

Sweetlip

Recycles dryer sheets
Although I have only just started posting here last week, it seems that I originally registered in 2002.

I cannot remember doing that but it has to be true, of course. I was a regular, under a different web-name, on the forum that used to be associated with John Greaney's Retire Early Home Page before the Motley Fool owners slapped a fee for usage and the forums component closed down.

I did see reference to Intercst (John Greaney) on one of the posts on this site last week and wonder what happened to the regulars from that old site. I see that Intercst is listed as a member here.

I looked for the Badger in the member list on this site, but he does not appear. There was another guy who was sailing a large motor boat regularly around the place and was a very regular poster; and of course, ***** (Rob Bennett), who must have really fallen out of favour with Intercst, judging by John's comments on the REHP.

Do any of these old board members of Intercst's old site still contribute here?

As a postscript, H-o-c-u-s must really be out of favour, his screen name gets censored when one posts it! :D

I was a regular, under a different web-name, on the forum that used to be associated with John Greaney's Retire Early Home Page before the Motley Fool owners slapped a fee for usage and the forums component closed down.

I did see reference to Intercst (John Greaney) on one of the posts on this site last week and wonder what happened to the regulars from that old site. I see that Intercst is listed as a member here.

FYI, the Motley Fool boards were recently made free again. The former "Retire Early" board has since split into 2 boards: "Retire Early CampFIRE" (RECF) and "Retire Early Liberal Edition" (RELE). Many of the old regulars still post on RECF. Intercst posts more frequently on RELE.

There was another guy who was sailing a large motor boat regularly around the place and was a very regular poster; and of course, ***** (Rob Bennett), who must have really fallen out of favour with Intercst, judging by John's comments on the REHP.
I think the guy on the large motor boat is dory36 who started this board about 5-6 years ago. *****, banned from many of these boards, has his own board "Passion Saving." Winning Financial Freedom to Do the Work You Love

HTH,

omni

Thanks Omni.

You are right - it was Dory 36.

Many thanks. :)

Thanks CFB.

I just had a look. That must have been one helluva catfight to get H-O-C-U-S so ostracized. :eek: I drifted away from Intercst's site a few years ago and missed all of that. :confused:

20071229-82da8yk5wkjkcyur21bfp7xrm6.jpg

My memory is hazy but I think that I was frequenting the REHP circa mid to late nineties and learnt lots about the 4% rule etc and socked my pennies away ready for the day when I felt comfortable to pull the retirement pin. For some reason that I cannot remember, I drifted away from this whole scene.

You can blame ***** for pancakes, putting items on animals, and kayaks.

There are a fair number on this forum that started out on the Motley Fool site and came here when Dory started this forum.

It says a lot about hofuc's antics that he has been pre-emptively banned at more than one forum.

Sweetlips, I posted a lot on the Fools Retire Early Home Page back in 99/2000/2001. I still ocassional post there but the political discussion so dominate the board that it has become tiresome. And this from somebody who likes political discussions.

My fool handle was the very imaginative clifp (LOL) what was yours? I remember liking some Aussie chaps from the old days.

Last edited:
I think hoc*s has been banned at Morningstar also, but his friend/doppleganger John Walter Russell is very very active. Hoc*s for a while was allowed at at Intercst forum, and intercst for years had strange hobby of followig Hoc*s internet career.

My fool handle was the very imaginative clifp (LOL) what was yours? I remember liking some Aussie chaps from the old days.

I honestly cannot remember what I called myself. I was a regular poster though. I was also a regular poster on one other US forum which was about simple living and heavily based around Joe Dominguez's book, "Your Money or Your Life" and I remember saying that I had read it seventy or eighty times because the principles were such a revelation to me.

All of that prompted me to do lots of research myself and to discover some of the statistics about how a person's chances of falling seriously ill to something escalated after about the age of forty-five and that therefore, the fun-filled retirement that many people would dream about would be cruelly stolen from them either by death or by "half-dying" by contracting a disease that reduced their ability to do whatever they liked to do. The following graphs are Ausssie statistics but I am sure that they will be very similar to US stats and they tell that story ...

20071229-6jhejac5mp53qye846g9wx5bm.jpg

What John Greaney gave me from his site was the understanding about the 4% rule. My further reading of books like YMOYL and in particular, anything written by the Canadian Ernie J Zelinski gave me more about lifestyle. Other books like "The Millionaire Next Door" were very good in helping drive a LBYM and savings mindset. Now in early retirement, I am only just hearing from some of my better paid colleagues of similar age, just how well I am placed than they are. I don't talk $ numbers but some them do and they do get a jolt when I talk about the 4% rule and what capital they really need to have set aside to live as they please.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom