Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-04-2009, 07:32 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

To paraphrase a recent citation in the magazine, "The Week:" Idleness is of little value when you have nothing else to do; it is best enjoyed when stolen from time otherwise committed.

I wonder worryhow this will affect me in ESR, and it is part of the reason I plan a phased transition rather than a sudden ER.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2009, 01:18 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

When I really take care of myself (e.g. exercise, sleep, nutritious food, etc.) I maintain an even keel. Lately I have added a super-green mix into a daily smoothie, and I feel a deep sense of well-being and wellness.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:09 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
...some people are perversely "happy" to be gloomy. Does this make sense to anybody?
Ah, I see you've met my exMIL. If they could bottle miserable attitudes, she'd be sold by the case in truckloads, coast to coast.
Seriously, though, folks...I have met people of this type all through life. The farthest distance between 2 points is exactly the distance I keep from them. I just smile and wave as I fire up my escape pod.

Boredom and its resultant gloominess? I haven't experienced that yet. I have a different perspective as a survivor. I promise I won't dwell on that here. But it does set my bar at a different level than a lot of people I am acquainted with.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:16 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

I've learned that people who always seem dour and serious are not always unhappy.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:46 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

What Rich said. I have one of those faces that looks sad or angry when I am concentrating or just in repose, even though I am content and quite happy most of the time, especially now that I am fully retired. BTW Robert Pirsig, who wrote the article 30 or 40 years ago, is a favorite of mine. It seems that he has had some mental issues which he worked through satisfactorily, so he might have some insight concerning depression. If anyone is interested, moq.org is a website dedicated to discussing his work.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:24 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
I've learned that people who always seem dour and serious are not always unhappy.
They also don't want any help solving their problems, or else they'd have nothing to complain about and would be even more miserable...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:48 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Ah, I see you've met my exMIL. If they could bottle miserable attitudes, she'd be sold by the case in truckloads, coast to coast.
Seriously, though, folks...I have met people of this type all through life. The farthest distance between 2 points is exactly the distance I keep from them. I just smile and wave as I fire up my escape pod.

Boredom and its resultant gloominess? I haven't experienced that yet. I have a different perspective as a survivor. I promise I won't dwell on that here. But it does set my bar at a different level than a lot of people I am acquainted with.
Ah, let me clarify something. My wife has a distant cousin who is probably like your exMIL. She would make everybody miserable. It is like it is her purpose in life.

What I am talking about and describing myself are people who like tranquility, who do not listen to rock or "agitated" music, but the somber melancholic type of music, who at a party feel content just to be an observer watching other people dance. These people look gloomy, but they do not seek to spread it to others. They would rather keep it to themselves.

I am not a boater, so do not know how I would feel on a long tedious cruise. However, when we go up to our 2nd home in the AZ boonies, we spend days reading, listening to music (the "gloomy" type again), or just meditating. We do not feel bored. And no, I am usually not miserable, but just in a deep pensive mood. Sometimes I feel a bit sad, and I like it that way.

DW and I are not the type who become stir crazy if we are not constantly on the move. In fact, watching Rachel Ray on TV cooking shows, we both agree that a nice person as she is, she would make us very nervous if we would be around her.