Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Interesting Big Brother moment..
Old 05-07-2010, 03:50 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 739
Interesting Big Brother moment..

I arrived in Seattle yesterday, bought something called an Orca card at the airport vending machine. Charged $20 to a VISA card. Took the light rail to town. And went to Bellevue to visit a Microsoft employee, then up to Lake City to have dinner with a friend, etc, etc,

Midday today it was already out of money, so I thought, NO WAY?

Went to the window at the Transit Tunnel downtown, asked for them to check it and he gave me a list of WHERE I bought the card, WHERE I got either on or off each ride, and TIMES. Then I happened to notice that the screen appeared to have photos of me buying the card. I tried to look and he quickly blanked his screen.

Is it possible that we are being closely tracked and photographed?

Interesting to imagine how that could be used.
__________________

__________________
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2010, 03:54 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
I arrived in Seattle yesterday, bought something called an Orca card at the airport vending machine. Charged $20 to a VISA card. Took the light rail to town. And went to Bellevue to visit a Microsoft employee, then up to Lake City to have dinner with a friend, etc, etc,

Midday today it was already out of money, so I thought, NO WAY?

Went to the window at the Transit Tunnel downtown, asked for them to check it and he gave me a list of WHERE I bought the card, WHERE I got either on or off each ride, and TIMES. Then I happened to notice that the screen appeared to have photos of me buying the card. I tried to look and he quickly blanked his screen.

Is it possible that we are being closely tracked and photographed?

Interesting to imagine how that could be used.
From your evidence, I would say that it is not possible that we are not, at least as pertains to Orca card usage.

Ha
__________________

__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:12 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 739
Well, I guess I'm just be naive because I have similar cards for San Diego, LA and NYC that I've used recently while traveling and never thought for a minute that my entire trail could be recreated with just some integrated database in FBI HQ.
__________________
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:21 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
RonBoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 5,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Well, I guess I'm just be naive because I have similar cards for San Diego, LA and NYC that I've used recently while traveling and never thought for a minute that my entire trail could be recreated with just some integrated database in FBI HQ.
Well, if that bothers you, don't use your cell either.
__________________
"It's tough to make predictions, especially when it involves the future." ~Attributed to many
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." ~(perhaps by) Yogi Berra
"Those who have knowledge, don't predict. Those who predict, don't have knowledge."~ Lau tzu
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:31 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 16,525
Or any of your credit cards.

Audrey
__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:35 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Rustward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Well, if that bothers you, don't use your cell either.
Don't even turn it on. You don't have to make or receive a call for the system to know where you are.
__________________
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:45 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Leonidas's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Where the stars at night are big and bright
Posts: 2,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
Don't even turn it on. You don't have to make or receive a call for the system to know where you are.
Don't think that the on/off switch is going to protect you either. Not all cell phones actually disable all their capabilities when you turn the power switch to off. If there is a working battery installed there is a risk that some functions will still work, and that other functions can be remotely activated - microphone, GPS, etc.
__________________
There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is having lots to do and not doing it. - Andrew Jackson
Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:58 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
calmloki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Independence
Posts: 5,459
Yeah - and those flu shots we were all urged to get? Did you know they came with free RFID chips in the vaccine? No? I've been noticing the cameras at more and more intersections - even the ones without redlight cameras. Face it - just no room left for low level crime anymore - need to move it indoors and white collar.
__________________
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:03 PM   #9
gone traveling
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,864
Be careful, they are watching you right now...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fbiwatching.jpg (61.6 KB, 3 views)
__________________
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:07 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,290
Interesting in the technology....

A decade ago, when I bought monthly tube passed in London... the guy would go to the back, pull out a CARD and write down the info etc... now, this was a place that had cameras ALL OVER THE PLACE... I guess the unions were stong enough to not let this get modernized....

But yes, I can believe they know every time you use it... they do have a number etc. on it... I know that on the Houston transit they could get you a new card if you lost your old one.... as long as you knew what the number was... and our company kept those when you purchased them... no pics... but close enough...

Now, you just recharge a card (I don't use the new ones as I stopped going downtown)... but now I believe the card is connected to you... previously it was just another number...
__________________
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:22 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Interesting to imagine how that could be used.
Yes, it is interesting. Let's see:

1) If wrongly accused of a crime, it could provide a perfect defense of my whereabouts.

2) It could help track down someone who did commit a crime.

Yes, very interesting. Hooray for technology!

Now, if you want to think up ways that crooked cops or prosecutors could falsify that info to wrongly accuse you - guess what - they can already do that with no technology at all, so why worry about the technology?

-ERD50
__________________
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:04 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 739
Already when I Google, it keeps track of what I looked at, and puts ads on the margins of all the pages.

Now I'm worried that if I take a bus in Seattle and get off at Lil Darlings on Westlake Ave., that I will start receiving mail in San Diego for women's lingerie (of the kinky kind).

"Erh, hold on honey, I can explain, the darn Orca card, NO, really it was the Orca card.."
__________________
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:12 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Interesting in the technology....

A decade ago, when I bought monthly tube passed in London... the guy would go to the back, pull out a CARD and write down the info etc... now, this was a place that had cameras ALL OVER THE PLACE... I guess the unions were stong enough to not let this get modernized....
The London underground has had the Oyster card system in place now for at least 6 years. It works very well and is about half the cost of paying for an individual ticket. This can be used to get exact travel information like the OP found. Combine this with the very sophisticated CCTV and red light cameras, I can see why some Brits are nervous.
__________________
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:26 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
dex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,105
Haven't you watched Law & Order? They use the metro card all the time to track perps.
__________________
Sometimes death is not as tragic as not knowing how to live. This man knew how to live--and how to make others glad they were living. - Jack Benny at Nat King Cole's funeral
dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:28 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
calmloki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Independence
Posts: 5,459
Heard one should always conduct one's life as if under the watchful eyes of Superman, your Mother, the parish priest, the corner cop, and Miss Grundy's Second Grade Class. If one does that there is no need to fear being under surveillance.

I don't, but figure anybody watching is far too busy to bother with my boring life. Too much interesting crime and perversion out there.
__________________
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:40 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderALot View Post
The London underground has had the Oyster card system in place now for at least 6 years. It works very well and is about half the cost of paying for an individual ticket. This can be used to get exact travel information like the OP found. Combine this with the very sophisticated CCTV and red light cameras, I can see why some Brits are nervous.
I was in London for 4 months last year and the Oyster card was great, even got a flashy yellow Ikea plastic holder. Very cool. And yeah, almost every city center in the UK is covered in CCTV. And linked directly to police HQ.

I'm all for CCTV in public places.
__________________
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:43 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Heard one should always conduct one's life as if under the watchful eyes of Superman, your Mother, the parish priest, the corner cop, and Miss Grundy's Second Grade Class. If one does that there is no need to fear being under surveillance.

I don't, but figure anybody watching is far too busy to bother with my boring life. Too much interesting crime and perversion out there.
So let me get this straight, I spent my whole adult life toiling away and being good. AND, now they have ways to kill my plan to be perverse and maybe commit a few petty crimes in a girly club. Damn them.
__________________
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:57 PM   #18
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Heard one should always conduct one's life as if under the watchful eyes of Superman, your Mother, the parish priest, the corner cop, and Miss Grundy's Second Grade Class. If one does that there is no need to fear being under surveillance.
Kind of tough to become a parent, though.

Quote:
I don't, but figure anybody watching is far too busy to bother with my boring life. Too much interesting crime and perversion out there.
I suppose. Flying under the radar is a good art to cultivate (especially flying under Superman's, your Mother's, the Parish priest's, the corner cop's, and Miss Grundy's radars when you are working on becoming a Mom or Dad).
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:54 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
calmloki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Independence
Posts: 5,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Kind of tough to become a parent, though.



I suppose. Flying under the radar is a good art to cultivate (especially flying under Superman's, your Mother's, the Parish priest's, the corner cop's, and Miss Grundy's radars when you are working on becoming a Mom or Dad).
Didn't even mention being under the all seeing, ever watchful, never sleeping eye of your omnipotent being of choice - doin' it under the gaze of Santa Claus (he sees you when you're sleeping and knows when you're awake) adds just a hint of the kinky to things... No matter how staid the sex life, that's gotta be perverse enough for Zero.
__________________
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:59 PM   #20
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Didn't even mention being under the all seeing, ever watchful, never sleeping eye of your omnipotent being of choice - doin' it under the gaze of Santa Claus (he sees you when you're sleeping and knows when you're awake) adds just a hint of the kinky to things... No matter how staid the sex life, that's gotta be perverse enough for Zero.
That's pretty perverse, all right! Santa Claus?
__________________

__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My brother 'gets it' now! pj86 Young Dreamers 3 07-24-2007 08:42 PM
Can you help me, help my brother with his 401k? AirJordan FIRE and Money 4 04-14-2007 01:21 PM
Big brother is getting better... cute fuzzy bunny Other topics 15 06-18-2005 07:03 PM
And big brother part deux cute fuzzy bunny Other topics 0 06-17-2005 03:43 PM
Oh brother, where art thou? MRGALT2U Other topics 8 06-04-2005 08:22 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:06 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.