Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-22-2009, 03:02 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
We aren't interested in a wireless network. So, any thoughts folks?
I used to be in that camp because I was tired of being Parental Tech Support. Our computer network wasn't growing so much as it was mutating.

When our kid agreed to care for our wireless router, we bought an ASUS WL-500W. It's dramatically improved my life, setup was done in about 10 minutes by a 16-year-old, and I don't have to spend any time on it. We put it in the back of the house so that our signal strength barely reaches the driveway, but we have great coverage in all the places you'd want to kick back with a laptop.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2009, 03:20 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My first exposure to this was the past summer while on a golf trip to Myrtle Beach. One of guys from up North works for a newspaper as a sports reporter and I guess he was writing off his trip on the papers dime. Every day after golf while sitting around having a few longnecks, he would write his column about the daily happenings and get quotes from all of us about our games. Being in a older condo, he didn't have internet access so he would walk down to the management office ( closed at that time) and hook onto their computer signal and sent his column up North. Facinating.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:38 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I used to be in that camp because I was tired of being Parental Tech Support. Our computer network wasn't growing so much as it was mutating.

When our kid agreed to care for our wireless router, we bought an ASUS WL-500W. It's dramatically improved my life, setup was done in about 10 minutes by a 16-year-old, and I don't have to spend any time on it. We put it in the back of the house so that our signal strength barely reaches the driveway, but we have great coverage in all the places you'd want to kick back with a laptop.
What is the (usual/average) physical range of a wireless network?
Old 02-22-2009, 03:44 PM   #24

Depends, and they can be boosted with some more hardware. Some people turn them off when not in use - but that gets tiresome. Also depends on the composition of the walls and where the router is placed in the house (wood and drywall work about the best; concrete (because of any re-bar) and metal siding the worst).
Old 02-22-2009, 03:50 PM   #25

Depending on where the wireless router is located about 30' to 100' in radius. With fancy antennas I have picked up a network over a mile away. But that takes high power cards and high gain antennas.

Edit add: I the the router is placed in the basement, it reduces the range outside of the house. If in the attic, it extends the range.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:47 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Our next door neighbor uses a different carrier. We have exchanged wireless passwords so if one carrier is out, we still have connectivity. Even though the houses are only about 20ft apart, we're each at the edge of the other's range.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:21 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
What is the (usual/average) physical range of a wireless network?
Don't know, but our router easily goes all the way through the house (60 feet?) and 20 feet beyond that to the edge of the driveway. It also goes up through the drywall/wood flooring to the second story, and straight out the lanai window/screen another 30 feet to the chair swing.

On the neighbor's side of the router I have a metal bookend, but I haven't tested its range in that direction. Our kid uses a dictionary-safe password.

She's having a bunch of friends over this Friday, including a max computer geek. We might have to change the router's password when everyone goes home, but we should have a complete signal map by the end of the evening...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:24 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
This morning there are only two (locked) networks registering.