Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Interesting experience....
Old 09-14-2011, 11:52 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Interesting experience....

I have been near Snyder, TX for a few days helping my daughter's family with their 4 children plus their new son born recently. I am in heaven with 5 grandchildren to love.

On Sunday at 7:30 am, I was getting dressed and there was a big boom and the house started shaking. At first I thought a big truck hit the house, but it kept shaking. Then I remembered that Snyder has earthquakes sometimes, usually mild. Everything was rattling on the dresser and it was hard to stand up and get my jeans on. After about 10 seconds, it stopped and I went out into the living room. Everyone was pretty excited to have experienced that without being hurt. We found out that it was a 4.4 earthquake and that we were 5 miles from the epicenter. I guess I can take experiencing an earthquake off my bucket list.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2011, 01:26 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes you can! I wonder what the boom was, though. Maybe something in or around the house was knocked down. I experienced earthquakes more severe than that in northern California way back when, but don't recall a boom.

I *do* recall a boom when living in College Station, Texas, and there was a big explosion in the salt domes down near Brenham that were being used for long term storage of huge quantities of oil. Even though we were many miles from there, it still rocked the house and was pretty loud. We went running out of the house in our nightclothes, thinking that the gas station on the corner had blown up (but that wasn't it, so our house was safe, thank heavens).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #3

How come everytime somebody mentions Brenham, TX, I have to run out & buy some BlueBell Rocky Road

For the record, I was at my mom's houe in NC during the recent earthquake in Virginia that made the news, and I never felt a thing! Plenty of folks in the same area said they felt it, but not me. Don't know if I'm just not a sensitive guy, or I'm just that oblivious to my surroundings. I DO get paid to be extra-observant on my job with DoD, but for some reason I failed to notice an earthquake!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:23 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
How come everytime somebody mentions Brenham, TX, I have to run out & buy some Bluebell Rocky Road

For the record, I was at my mom's houe in NC during the recent earthquake in Virginia that made the news, and I never felt a thing! Plenty of folks in the same area said they felt it, but not me. Don't know if I just not a sensitive guy, or I'm just that oblivious to my surroundings. I DO get paid to be extra-observant on my job with DoD, but for some reason I failed to notice an earthquake!
Hey, if my recollection is correct, that explosion near Brenham killed 17 cows! Ah, the humanity (bovinity?) I like their Rocky Road but Caramel Turtle Fudge was my favorite. Haven't had Bluebell ice cream for 15 years due to weight loss considerations.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:30 PM   #5

There was no way you could have mistaken this shaking for anything else or not felt it. One of my grandchildren was rolled out of bed, my son-in-law woken from a dead sleep. Like I said, it was difficult to keep on my feet for those few seconds - maybe 10-12, which is longer than it sounds. I don't know what the sound was, but when we got to church, several people mentioned that they were watching the 9-11 memorial coverage and hurt the loud sound and thought at first we were being attacked. Anyway, it was fun in a way.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
...but Caramel Turtle Fudge was my favorite.
OMG, havent thought of Caramel Turtle Fudge in YEARS...may have to go on a hunt now!
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:10 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
OMG, havent thought of Caramel Turtle Fudge in YEARS...may have to go on a hunt now!
Have an extra scoop for me.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Haven't had Bluebell ice cream for 15 years due to weight loss considerations.
W2R, plenty of excellent choices await you the next time you wander west of the Sabine. The days of Blue Bell selling five or ten flavors are long gone.

Our Ice Cream, Blue Bell Ice Cream

Ally, I almost made it to Snyder once when I lived in Lubbock. I was a Boy Scout, working on my cycling merit badge. Being the devious and crafty type, I read the rules carefully and determined that there was no requirement that the required 50-mile ride must start and stop in the same place. So I picked the downhill direction, southeast toward Snyder.

As far as picking a day, I waited for one of those infamous West Texas spring days when it feels like all of the air from the entire Great Plains is being sucked down into Mexico. And carrying about two inches of red panhandle topsoil with it.

I think there was a requirement that I had to make the 50 miles in eight hours. NO PROBLEM.
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:08 PM   #9

Well done !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
I guess I can take experiencing an earthquake off my bucket list.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:42 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
W2R, plenty of excellent choices await you the next time you wander west of the Sabine. The days of Blue Bell selling five or ten flavors are long gone.
We have Bluebell ice cream here too, in every supermarket.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
...when I lived in Lubbock...So I picked the downhill direction, southeast toward Snyder.
I've only been to Lubbock the one time, when DS was doing a tour of the university after getting accepted. But, I remember the tour including the comment about the highest point in Lubbock being on campus, and the guide pointing to something that looked like a speed bump. Is Snyder in a valley or something?

Not denigrating on the area, just recalling it was as flat as a table. Sort of like Houston, except with red dust everywhere.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:42 PM   #12

Htown Harry, I love the Boy Scout story. I live in the Lubbock area, so I can appreciate the details.

Leonidas, while it is flat here, about 40 miles SE of here, you drop off the caprock to an area of hilly country with small canyons. My daughter's family just built a home up on a hill on their land outside of Snyder. It is a more interesting geographical area than Lubbock. It's not mountainous, of course, but has a great view.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:30 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't know what the sound was, but when we got to church, several people mentioned that they were watching the 9-11 memorial coverage and hurt the loud sound and thought at first we were being attacked. Anyway, it was fun in a way.
The muslims are going to attack Snyder, TX! How can you sleep at night?