Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-21-2015, 09:47 PM   #121
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
solar salesperson came by yesterday to set up a meeting - about how much does a 40 panel system cost to install?
We purchased our system as part of one of the "solarize" programs. A community organizes what amounts to a group purchase of the panels along with a vetted contractor to handle the installations. In our case they quoted $3.35 per Watt (complete cost including panels, racks inverter, installation and connection to the grid). Using our numbers, a 40 panel system would supply 11 KW and cost approximately $37,000 complete. This is a "net metered" system without batteries.

One caveat on the federal subsidy (investment tax credit). It is a 30% credit against your federal taxes, however, it is only credited against your owed taxes. If you owe no federal taxes, there is no federal credit. There is a carry forward provision for any unused credit, but I'm not sure of the details.
MildlyEccentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2015, 08:35 AM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Maybe 1.3 mWh per month? 1.3 kWh would yield a monthly bill of about a dime.

But, my nit-picking aside, what do you find attractive about the Seattle solar program? It's about a wash from a financial standpoint.
we pay about 10 cents an hour so my bill is about $130 per month on average

after doing a bit more research, I'm going to cancel the appt - with lack of state (Idaho) subsidies and such cheap electricity (we have several hydro electric dams nearby) it would take forever for me to break even on an install
Old 04-22-2015, 09:21 PM   #123
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
A recent large installation was $3.57/watt.

All flat roof (two large school buildings at different locations in the same town), lots of economy of scale. Far more cost efficient than sighting a single home.

896 Total kW $3,200,000 Installed $

-ERD50
Residential install in my part of FL is less than $2.7 per watt now.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:52 PM   #124
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
Residential install in my part of FL is less than $2.7 per watt now.
Is that the un-subsidized cost? I used the actual total cost in my calculation.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:21 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Is that the un-subsidized cost? I used the actual total cost in my calculation.

-ERD50
unsubsidized cost. In 2012 our cost before subsidy was $3.4 per watt installed on a 9.6k pv system.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:47 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
unsubsidized cost. In 2012 our cost before subsidy was $3.4 per watt installed on a 9.6k pv system.
Thanks for the info. I'm not sure why the installation I followed would have been so much higher - two big buildings, flat roofs? Should have really gained some economy of scale.

One explanation - it was all taxpayer money (a school district, plus grants). I wonder if any of the people who signed off on it would have paid that much if it was coming out of their own pocket and on to their own home?

I'll try to see if numbers are available for any other commercial scale installations around here. It's usually hard to find the unsubsidized costs, and businesses don't always want to make that public. For the most part, I think they want the PR.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 09:04 AM   #127

New MIT Study just out:
http://mitei.mit.edu/system/files/MI...compressed.pdf

Didn't read it yet, bound to be interesting though.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar power