Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Interesting gmail delivery
Old 12-15-2018, 07:06 PM   #1
Moderator
Jerry1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,860
Interesting gmail delivery

My gmail address is firstname.lastname@gmail.com I recently had an appointment and they sent me a satisfaction survey. As I looked at the email, I realized that the email address was off. They used firstnamelastname@gmail.com. No dot between the first and last name. I donít understand how this got to me. I can only surmise that the dot is not actually read by gmail or the servers in general. I asked DW to send me an email without using the dot and sure enough, I was delivered. No real point to me writing this other than file this under things I didnít realized work that way.
__________________

__________________
Every day when I open my eyes now it feels like a Saturday - David Gray
Jerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2018, 07:10 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 45,497
Another example of how the world has changed. When I was a young man a missing period was a really big deal.
__________________

__________________
Numbers is hard

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:14 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 15,295
I do not use gmail, but for a number of other sites the dot makes a difference... at work I always had a dot and my BIL would forget it and I never did get those emails...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:14 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
steelyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NC Triangle
Posts: 4,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Another example of how the world has changed. When I was a young man a missing period was a really big deal.

Such a naughty boy.
__________________

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:22 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.
USGrant1962's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: DC area
Posts: 967
I think gmail is famous for ignoring dots and causing confusion.
__________________
FI and Semi-ER March 24, 2017
Consulting to stay engaged

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
USGrant1962 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:23 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
RunningBum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,365
Yes, gmail strips out all dots before the @. Here's a good explanation of why, and how you can use it to your advantage. For example, when you don't really want to give your email address, use f.irst.lastname and you can filter out emails that come to that version of the address.

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-...-matter-2018-2
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:27 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
steelyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NC Triangle
Posts: 4,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Yes, gmail strips out all dots before the @. Here's a good explanation of why, and how you can use it to your advantage. For example, when you don't really want to give your email address, use f.irst.lastname and you can filter out emails that come to that version of the address.
Another ďwho knew?Ē Of The Day. Thanks!
__________________

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:43 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.
USGrant1962's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: DC area
Posts: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Yes, gmail strips out all dots before the @. Here's a good explanation of why, and how you can use it to your advantage. For example, when you don't really want to give your email address, use f.irst.lastname and you can filter out emails that come to that version of the address.

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-...-matter-2018-2


Good article. Interesting that gmail is one of the few services that ignores dots. Most others donít. Hence the confusion.

In my experience the vast majority of megacorp emails, for instance, respect the dot.
__________________
FI and Semi-ER March 24, 2017
Consulting to stay engaged

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
USGrant1962 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:49 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 10,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Another example of how the world has changed. When I was a young man a missing period was a really big deal.
Two missing ones in a row were really worrisome.
__________________
Wear Italian, Kiss French, Drink Russian, Drive German
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 08:50 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Coronado
Posts: 1,216
Another good gmail trick is that everything after a + sign in an address is ignored, so you will also receive email addressed to firstname.lastname+keyword@gmail.com.

This is helpful if you want to use rules to sort email from some senders into different folders.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:10 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
My gmail address is firstname.lastname@gmail.com I recently had an appointment and they sent me a satisfaction survey. As I looked at the email, I realized that the email address was off. They used firstnamelastname@gmail.com. No dot between the first and last name. I donít understand how this got to me. I can only surmise that the dot is not actually read by gmail or the servers in general. I asked DW to send me an email without using the dot and sure enough, I was delivered. No real point to me writing this other than file this under things I didnít realized work that way.
When I started gmail 18 years ago, I opened it with first.last@gmail.com. But I found that I would get email as fistlast@gmail.com, as you have pointed out. It turns out that Google strips the "." from whatever you signed-up as and that is how you are formally known to their email system. When an email comes into gmail and they need to put it in the correct account, they strip out all dots.

There is an Internet standard for confirming the exact email account name and some services use that to guard against fraud. When this is done with gmail, it comes back for me as "firstlast" not as "first.last". This has been a problem because I signed up for services and gave my email address the way I originally signed-up: "first.last", but for those companies that then go and verify with Google, it comes back as "firstlast" and they reject me. Apple is one such problem I have had.

Personally I think Google screwed up by doing this. There was no reason to since a "." is perfectly legal in the name of an email recipient. But at this point they are stuck with their mistake and have to stick with it.
TwoByFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 06:40 AM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 3,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
Another good gmail trick is that everything after a + sign in an address is ignored, so you will also receive email addressed to firstname.lastname+keyword@gmail.com.

This is helpful if you want to use rules to sort email from some senders into different folders.
It's also useful if you want to track down where spam originated.

I often use firstname.lastname+sitename@gmail.com

It all ends up in the same gmail mailbox, but now I know which site chose to share my email address if I start getting spam.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 06:57 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
donheff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 9,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
When I started gmail 18 years ago, I opened it with first.last@gmail.com. But I found that I would get email as fistlast@gmail.com, as you have pointed out. It turns out that Google strips the "." from whatever you signed-up as and that is how you are formally known to their email system. When an email comes into gmail and they need to put it in the correct account, they strip out all dots.

There is an Internet standard for confirming the exact email account name and some services use that to guard against fraud. When this is done with gmail, it comes back for me as "firstlast" not as "first.last". This has been a problem because I signed up for services and gave my email address the way I originally signed-up: "first.last", but for those companies that then go and verify with Google, it comes back as "firstlast" and they reject me. Apple is one such problem I have had.

Personally I think Google screwed up by doing this. There was no reason to since a "." is perfectly legal in the name of an email recipient. But at this point they are stuck with their mistake and have to stick with it.
This is interesting. I was among the early Gmail users and thought at the time that they wanted first.last as the user ID. I always assumed that was the "official" ID and would never have guessed they stripped out the dot for authentication.
__________________
Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:25 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 21,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Another example of how the world has changed. When I was a young man a missing period was a really big deal.
Back then, it could be a big deal to some rabbit, too!

And no, I never expected that OP to go in this direction! Well played, REWahoo!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:03 AM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Lsbcal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: west coast, hi there!
Posts: 6,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Another example of how the world has changed. When I was a young man a missing period was a really big deal.
LOL! Was that how you got the big family?
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:56 AM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Midpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 14,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
I think gmail is famous for ignoring dots and causing confusion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Yes, gmail strips out all dots before the @. Here's a good explanation of why, and how you can use it to your advantage. For example, when you don't really want to give your email address, use f.irst.lastname and you can filter out emails that come to that version of the address.

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-...-matter-2018-2
I have been getting CapitalOne notices once or twice a month for years despite repeatedly begging C1 to remove me from their distribution. The actual owner makes minimum payments and gets threatening emails all the time.

I've concluded "he" has the same gmail address as mine, but his must have a period or two in it...
__________________
No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 12:32 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
RunningBum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I have been getting CapitalOne notices once or twice a month for years despite repeatedly begging C1 to remove me from their distribution. The actual owner makes minimum payments and gets threatening emails all the time.

I've concluded "he" has the same gmail address as mine, but his must have a period or two in it...
I really don't think gmail would allow that. My guess is that it's something like your address is first.lastname and his is firstname.lastname, and he mistakenly put the wrong email address in with them. Or he intentionally used the wrong email address so he wouldn't be so easily tracked down and bugged.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 12:36 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
braumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Flyover country
Posts: 13,366
Could be just a spelling issue.

I get email all the time that should go to a guy in Canada with a similar address. One word is spelled the US way in mine, but the Canadian way in his.
__________________
I thought growing old would take longer.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 12:39 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Midpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 14,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I really don't think gmail would allow that. My guess is that it's something like your address is first.lastname and his is firstname.lastname, and he mistakenly put the wrong email address in with them. Or he intentionally used the wrong email address so he wouldn't be so easily tracked down and bugged.
I don't know what else it could be. My address is xxxx1234@gmail.com and I assume his is xxx.x1234@gmail.com or the same with a period somewhere, someone told me about gmail stripping out periods quite a while ago. From the C1 emails I see, his first name is xxx, xxx was the name of a dog I once had.

And it would be hard to believe he's not seeing the same emails I am, as he pays some minimum amount (after they politely warn him) based on each email I see, so it's an active C1 account. I've talked at length with at least a dozen different C1 peeps, including supervisors who guaranteed they'd take me off the distribution, but the emails keep coming at least once a month...tiresome but nothing else I can do about it that I know of.

Needless to say, I'll never be a C1 customer...
__________________
No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 02:23 PM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Coronado
Posts: 1,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I don't know what else it could be. My address is xxxx1234@gmail.com and I assume his is xxx.x1234@gmail.com or the same with a period somewhere, someone told me about gmail stripping out periods quite a while ago.
Nope, that's not possible. GMail would not allow him to create an account like xxx.x1234@gmail.com because that is your address. x.x.x.x.1.2.3.4@gmail.com is also your address, as is every variation that contains any number of dots. You can test this by sending emails to these addresses and verifying that they all arrive in your inbox. The same email does not go to anyone else's inbox. The way your email address got on the C1 account is that the guy entered an incorrect email address and the one he typed just happened to be yours.

The reason this guy pays the minimum on his credit card after they warn him is probably because they also call him, text him, and send him paper mail. To get your email address off the account, you could try telling C1 that you made a typo when you setup the account and can't remember your password, so you need them to change the email address to xxxx12345@gmail.com.

Another alternative is to just setup a rule in GMail to send all mail from C1 straight into the trash. I have such a rule for all email that contains the words "Adnan" or "Khashoggi" because some guy with that name uses my very short and simple email address as the one he enters whenever he doesn't want to get email, and I got tired of unsubscribing to everything he signs up for.
__________________

cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pizza Delivery HERO Saves Old Lady Arnie Other topics 3 04-25-2011 05:46 AM
How do you feel about 5 day mail delivery? easysurfer Other topics 71 06-24-2010 08:17 AM
Post Office & Saturday Delivery TromboneAl Other topics 42 04-08-2010 01:33 PM
Delivery Route Space Mountain Other topics 3 05-22-2008 07:26 PM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:33 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×