Join Early Retirement Today

Interesting observation/very naive
Old 07-14-2017, 05:08 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Interesting observation/very naive

Since I became a member of this site I still find it very interesting all the new people that come here. They couldn't have come to a more helpful place!

I see myself in many of the first time poster and was thinking about retiring but wasn't sure how and had so many questions I didn't know which one to ask first or even how to ask them. Lol Most if not all (new posters) have way more knowledge about retiring when reading their posts then what I had.

When first thinking about retiring I needed a place to help me.
I started a search to find a site and actually went to a different site first.

My first question was I have this much in my portfolio and my net worth is this can I retire? Lol I came right out and said it because I needed help and I really didn't know if it was possible to retire. I wasn't trying to be a smart *** and anything like that, just wasn't sure and being very honest with the question.

Well I got an ear full and it wasn't a pleasant thread and was glad it finally went away. Lol

Anyone else as naïve as I was??
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2017, 05:20 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

All I know is , is that you asked what you were unsure of, and that's a good thing. We learn as we go. No one can just know everything, so asking questions what you feel you are weak in , gets you closer to understanding. So even if you get some short, hard to swallow answers, just chalk it up to experience and move on. In the meantime, you are gaining wisdom, which we all must do if we hope to make wise decisions.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 05:57 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Every forum has questions that are brought up frequently by people who haven't gone back and read older threads. I LOVE flyertalk.com for detailed advice on arcane trave topics- they're a well-traveled group and very helpful.

But...start a thread on something that's been discussed many times before (How do I get a Russian visa? How can I get a refund on my non-refundable airfare because my dog is sick and I can't travel? Can I get an upgrade to Business Class if I arrive early, dress well, and smile when I ask?) and you'll get some snarky answers.

How snarky things get depends on the culture of the Board. I think most people here approach the "too-frequently-asked-questions" the way I do. If I'm feeling patent and it's a subject that interest me, I'll answer patiently. If not, I let others reply. In the case of your question, the dollar amount isn't the whole picture. Your age, your expenses, whether or not you need to put kids through college, are examples of what people would need ot know before even venturing a guess.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:07 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Exactly and so true >>> I just have to laugh at myself because I have been there and did it, the same questions most ask first. A search is fine to get some knowledge but it isn't like starting the thread and being able to ask and be part of the question they want answered. It may be tiresome having a lot of the same questions asked but they came here for reason.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:42 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I signed up here after I retired. I should have signed up before -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:46 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I lurked for quite a while and learned at least some of the questions to steer clear of - unless there was a new "twist" to add to it. Never have been any good at the search function, however. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:55 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
When I came here, I didn't know if I could retire or not.
Found out I should have been here a couple of years earlier
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 11:12 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Sometimes it's hard to know how to approach strangers who all seem to know each other. I hope nobody was really snotty to you.

When I joined the forum, I didn't know what an asset allocation was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Since I became a member of this site I still find it very interesting all the new people that come here. They couldn't have come to a more helpful place!

I see myself in many of the first time poster and was thinking about retiring but wasn't sure how and had so many questions I didn't know which one to ask first or even how to ask them. Lol Most if not all (new posters) have way more knowledge about retiring when reading their posts then what I had.

When first thinking about retiring I needed a place to help me.
I started a search to find a site and actually went to a different site first.

My first question was I have this much in my portfolio and my net worth is this can I retire? Lol I came right out and said it because I needed help and I really didn't know if it was possible to retire. I wasn't trying to be a smart *** and anything like that, just wasn't sure and being very honest with the question.

Well I got an ear full and it wasn't a pleasant thread and was glad it finally went away. Lol

Anyone else as naïve as I was??
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 12:45 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Amethyst >>> I had no clue either. Lol I know it is a sad thing for me to omit that but I just worked and saved and didn't look beyond.

Sunset >>>> I found out that also. Thanks
Old 07-15-2017, 01:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I signed up here after I retired. I should have signed up before -
Probably quite a few of us. I was retired for over eight years when I found this place. Still fairly clueless, but learning.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:23 PM   #11

I came here years ago looking for the answer to the questions: "Will SS be around when I turn 62? If by some miracle it is still here when I'm 62 can you imagine any reason I wouldn't take it ASAP?"

I am 59 now and currently shooting to file at 70 (while keeping my nose to the wind).

I've learned a lot from this community and I am grateful.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
But...start a thread on something that's been discussed many times before (How do I get a Russian visa? How can I get a refund on my non-refundable airfare because my dog is sick and I can't travel? Can I get an upgrade to Business Class if I arrive early, dress well, and smile when I ask?) and you'll get some snarky answers.
I don't remember the name of the thread (last couple of weeks), but it involved whether or not people REALLY cared about what others thought. NOW THAT brought out the snarky!!
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:57 AM   #13

I was seeking insight /advice on retirement when I came across FIREcalc, and subsequently, this forum. Most of my early searches took me to the FA sites, where I got lots of great misinformation. Those sites tried to convince me that I needed to have them (mis) managing our nest egg as they skimmed 1-2% while consistently under-performing the market in the long term.

After that, I swerved into the ER "experts" who blog about what worked for them. These sites were more honest / transparent than the FA sites, but some where opinionated to a point beyond my personal BS tolerance level. However, I do credit these sites for instilling into me the value proposition of low cost index funds. For that, they have my gratitude.

Being fairly new here, I've only started a couple of threads. However, I've learned a great deal about numerous topics, including, but not limited to, ER. By the time I arrived here, I did have a grasp of asset allocation, but, have since gradually down-shifted my equities ratio based on what I have learned here (more fear-less greed)

Because this forum is well moderated (thanks Mods), maturity, deportment, and civility seem to be required to remain conversant in this 'hood. So, it is a good place to ask questions without fear of some roadhouse, smash-mouth response from the great unwashed (unless I haven't been sufficiently caffeinated)

I find it a great place to hang out while having my morning coffee!
Old 07-16-2017, 06:47 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes this is a great sight with good people, also the administrators and moderators do a great job! That being said, from reading everyone's advice and experiences it helped me iron out a few wrinkles in getting adjusted to ER. I kind of went cold turkey into ER from sixty to eighty hour weeks.
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:51 AM   #15

Not retired yet and I do like my job. I heard my parents talking about different issues with their upcoming retirement. I realized I knew how to save but nothing about withdrawing funds in retirement. I started researching online and found this site. I did not know that you had to take RMD's. I did not know that the government would penalize you if you didn't take RMD's or didn't take enough. I did not know about index funds. I do search this site for answers and try not to ask questions.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:12 AM   #16

The one thread that comes up over and over again (with only slight variations) is the one where the OP's planned retirement date is coming up soon and they are anxious/nervous/apprehensive about it, and wondering if others felt the same way before they retired. I have to smile/chuckle when I read those, because I'm sure I had a little of the same apprehension back then (8+ years ago), but now I look back and wonder what I was worried about. Yes, it's a big change of course, and not everyone adjusts to it right away, but as long as you've planned for it (as most on this board have done), just relax and enjoy the new freedom you've earned.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:59 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I found this site after I has turned in my notice. I was a mess, didn't know what I needed to and was a nervous ninny. I'd allowed my j*b to control so much of my existence I lost who I was.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:19 AM   #18

It took me some time to realize that I could indeed leave my FT job. I had never left a job voluntarily, without having another job, generally higher paying, in place. Quitting at 56 is late for some, but for the majority of Americans, it is early - by 10+ years.

Reading the posts made me realize that other people have already done it, and that my situation although unique, was really the same as everyone else. Retirement is more of a mental challenge, more so than a financial one.

Here was my evolution from my previous posts. I am glad I waited as long as I did, but I certainly could have gone earlier. The last year of work, I kept telling myself I am working for my new truck and fifth wheel. The truck (2017 F350 Platinum Ultimate, 6.7, 4x4, CCLB ) will be ordered this week.

T-29 Months
When I first Started
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...age-70605.html

T-12 Months
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...age-77876.html

One year After Retirement
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ell-87499.html
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote