Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Interesting PBS program on Pema Chodron
Old 03-19-2007, 02:14 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

i think part of the "all life is suffering" is that it is a basic fact we must accept...in pema's book "when things fall apart" she talks about needing to stop the expecting that things will get better - like "things will get better after i retire" or "things will get better if i lose weight" etc. that we all go through...

it was really an enlightening perspective for me - that if you accept that life will come together, and then fall apart, that you won't be so frustrated because "everything was going the way it was supposed to," or " i thought i wouldn't have to deal with this anymore" type thoughts. instead, you say, ok - why did this happen (something fell apart) and what can i do to figure out changes i have to make personally or whatever.

i've been trying to really absorb that idea and it is helping me to be positive. unfortunately - it seems easier to dwell on the negative aspects of life that by accepting suffering - it somehow allows you to relish and acknowledge the positive aspects of life...

the other thing i have been really fascinated with is physics and energy...everything has energy - energy never disappears, just transfers, transforms. what does that mean about our life - spirit - etc. what really happens when people pass? their energy is transformed. perhaps if you consider that it will provide some solace.

my daughter has been asking a lot about what happens when something dies - we went to a funeral and she said, "what happened to the guy in the box" - i told her honestly that he died...and we talked through it. then she saw a national geographic about dinosaurs and said what happened to them...they died...and i said look at the stars, those are big balls of energy - you might become a star when you die - and she really liked that idea...honestly i don't think it could be that far from the truth.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2007, 07:30 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
Breaking my heart so that it becomes bigger isn't the worst thing that can happen...

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
I love this. Thinking about how my heart has expanded since my divorce, I have to conclude that the heartbreak was worth the pain. What is troubling is that I am much more sensitive to suffering, my own and others. I used to be much more defended. Now it's difficult to feel so much. I'm still learning how to live with this new heart.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:46 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Bright Eyed:
Quote:
the other thing i have been really fascinated with is physics and energy...everything has energy - energy never disappears, just transfers, transforms. what does that mean about our life - spirit - etc. what really happens when people pass? their energy is transformed. perhaps if you consider that it will provide some solace.
Right. I would love to know exactly what happens when we die. Christians have one view, Buddhists and Hindus have another. And Jews, Native Americans and Hill Tribe Folk still another.

Have you read any of Gary Schwartz's work? http://thepsychictimes.com/articles/...fter_death.htm

http://www.simonsays.com/content/des...b=1&pid=361547

I have read several of his books (The Afterlife Experiments, The G.O.D. Experiments, etc. ) - he works out of the University of Arizona. He has 'proven' the life after death concept...

Old Babe
Quote:
I love this.
Thanks, OldBabe...

Quote:
Thinking about how my heart has expanded since my divorce, I have to conclude that the heartbreak was worth the pain. What is troubling is that I am much more sensitive to suffering, my own and others. I used to be much more defended. Now it's difficult to feel so much. I'm still learning how to live with this new heart.
I understand. I think this is what is known as compassion, and it takes a good deal of courage to walk the compassionate path. We don't have to be overwhelmed with our empathetic compassion (then we would be useless to help) but the fact that we no longer overlook someone who is suffering, and rather feel motivated to contribute is a good thing, I believe. Our world has become expanded - more love filled, more conscious.

We continue to evolve..

Be well,
Akaisha
Old 03-20-2007, 12:12 PM   #24

This book looks interesting - "The Entangled Mind" - shows how science has in fact and is increasingly finding real physical connections to psychic phenomena...

In school, physics seemed really complicated (which it is) and math based (which it is) - but the theories involved are truly about the fabric of all life and are really profound...

http://www.amazon.com/Entangled-Mind...4410544&sr=8-1

maybe i'll pick this one up for my quick vacation read! that or brush the dust off my new copy of Four Pillars -
Old 03-20-2007, 09:25 PM   #25

Thanks for this link. I have heard of this book before... I would like to read it too!

Have you read any of Rupert Sheldrake's work?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b/103-5010213-3999049?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=rupert+sheldrake&Go.x=10&Go.y=11

He says that we are all psychic, that this is an 'animal sense' that we all have and it is not something we have to 'develop', but rather simply accept and recognize. It doesn't make us special, or out of the ordinary. It makes us human.

His book Dogs that know when their owners are coming home goes into this in great detail.

I am enjoying this thread. Thanks, all!

Akaisha
Old 03-21-2007, 11:57 AM   #26

Akaisha,
Thanks for mentioning Sheldrake's work. I wasn't familiar with him. But I went to the Amazon site and lo and behold he has written "Dogs That Know When Their Owners Are Coming Home"! I always wanted an explanation for this phenomenon and immediately purchased a used copy.
His theory sounds fascinating!

--Oldbabe
Old 03-21-2007, 09:09 PM   #27

HI Oldbabe!

Yup, Sheldrake's kind of fascinating.. I enjoyed that book (Dogs that...) I have read some of his other works too.

I enjoy books that give scientific evidence for phenomena that formerly we couldn't explain, or that people would often think were off the wall, weird, not real, etc. like afterdeath communication, psychic phenomenon, the chemical properties of memories, how trauma is lodged in our bodies chemically, is there really a God, etc.

Books by Gary Schwartz, Ph.D., Candace Pert, Ph.D., Rupert Sheldrake, Maggie Scarf, David Grand, Ph.D., etc. give a different point of view of these things.

Hope this list of authors add to your joy of dis-covery!

Be well,
Akaisha