Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Interesting Random Statistics Thursday
Old 10-25-2007, 03:10 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Interesting Random Statistics Thursday

Hmm...IRS thursday. Maybe I need a better title...

From my water company:

"For the $1.50 you pay for a bottle of water, you could fill a 20oz plastic bottle from your tap once per day for 13 years"

We just got back from spending several hours watching Gabe play in the mud next to our "water supply". I think I'll run it through a filter first.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2007, 07:12 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I dunno... I don't see this taking off like "Funny Joke Thursday"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
From my water company:
"For the $1.50 you pay for a bottle of water, you could fill a 20oz plastic bottle from your tap once per day for 13 years"
"It's not what the bottled water has in it, it's what's been taken out of it!"

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 07:58 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Try "Healthy living is just the slowest way to die".
Old 10-25-2007, 08:37 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

In New York City, approximately 1,600 people are bitten by other people each year.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:16 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Here's a couple from my "enlightened" political science TA from class on Tuesday:

1. Half of the homeless have a Master's degree or better (So half the homless have a master's and Phd-I don't think so)

2. Half of all deaths during hurricanes are cause by snake bites- wow.
RedHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:20 PM   #6

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:47 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Actually, to be correct twaddle, that should read:
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, those who don't, those who want to understand binary, and those who won't.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:42 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjpatt View Post
Here's a couple from my "enlightened" political science TA from class on Tuesday:

1. Half of the homeless have a Master's degree or better (So half the homless have a master's and Phd-I don't think so)

2. Half of all deaths during hurricanes are cause by snake bites- wow.
1.) A survey of homeless shelters in the Boston area showed that roughly 9% of homeless have a college degree, up from 6% a few years ago. 73% have a highschool diploma, up from 56%. Reasoning included that folks with a college degree have a very hard time getting an entry level job because they're overqualified.

2) Pretty darn unlikely, but a medical examiner attributed 25% of the katrina deaths to fatalities during cleanup efforts.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:08 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
1.) A survey of homeless shelters in the Boston area showed that roughly 9% of homeless have a college degree, up from 6% a few years ago. 73% have a highschool diploma, up from 56%.
I've always wondered who does the verification of these résumé claims.

If I was dependent on a homeless shelter for any fragment of my support, I'd have whatever qualifications they wanted me to have...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:15 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitestick View Post
Actually, to be correct twaddle, that should read:
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, those who don't, those who want to understand binary, and those who won't.
You just rattled off 100 types of people, not 10.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:17 AM   #11

What's 4 in binary?
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:24 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

"The average pro wrestler pays $3500 to go to pro wresting 'school', and earns approximately $50,000 per year".
Old 10-26-2007, 10:50 AM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

Casual dating can be dangerous. A study of spiders shows female wolf spiders will eat strange-looking males that try to mate with them, but spare and even hook up with familiar-looking males. The findings provide not just an interesting insight into spider behavior, but may help explain actions by "higher" animals, said arachnologist Eileen Hebets of Cornell University in New York. "The female is using earlier experience that is going to affect her mate choice later," Hebets said in a telephone interview. "It is reasonable to expect that is a common thing in other animals." Hebets worked with Schizocosa uetzi spiders, commonly known as wolf spiders. The female, which is slightly larger, can choose a) to mate, b) to run away or c) to eat her suitor. Apparently, running away is not a very frequently used option.....
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:11 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Why do I feel suddenly uncomfortable?

Spiders have a circulatory system including heart, veins, and arteries. And blue blood.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:17 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
"The average pro wrestler pays $3500 to go to pro wresting 'school', and earns approximately $50,000 per year".

Really That's a great return on investment! I mean, that's a great salary to do what you love, and I've seen the t.v. specials on pro wrestling school, these guys love it! I don't think they left the oncology department to take up this career, either.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:19 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Chuck Norris’ body is able to cash any check that his mouth writes. On a hot summer day Chuck Norris’ body even cashed a check for $537 Million that his mouth wrote. Chuck Norris used the money to buy 17 Ice Cream factories, 16 to cool himself off and 1 to obliterate for round-house kick practice.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:22 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I wonder what the median earnings are. Average earnings are easily skewed by a small number making millions.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:24 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

There is no theory of evolution, there are just animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Chuck Norris does not sleep, he waits.

The chief export of Chuck Norris is PAIN!

That's all I can remember for now, Chuck Norris rules.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:30 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Most people understand that their bank deposits are insured by the FDIC. What most people don’t understand is that the FDIC is insured by Chuck Norris.

Chuck Norris is able to make the sound of one hand clapping. The rest of humanity perceives this sound as a solar eclipse.

The Martial Arts Hall of Fame was inducted into Chuck Norris.

Maybe I should start a separate thread for Chuck Norris facts and statistics.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:31 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I wonder what the median earnings are. Average earnings are easily skewed by a small number making millions.
Indeed, several make over several million a year.

Unfortunately, the BLS does not track such a stat. I presume therefore that it doesnt make it into the CPI-U.