Join Early Retirement Today

Interesting tale about the division of some found cash
Old 11-09-2008, 03:38 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Interesting tale about the division of some found cash

Cash found in Ohio house's walls becomes nightmare - Yahoo! News

Quote:
"If these two individuals had sat down and resolved their disputes and divided the money, the heirs would have had no knowledge of it," said attorney Gid Marcinkevicius, who represents the Dunne estate. "Because they were not able to sit down and divide it in a rational way, they both lost."
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2008, 07:05 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I read this story locally, too. I think there must be a fascinating untold story of how the cash got there and the climate of that time.

Anybody hiding cash yet?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:09 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Anybody hiding cash yet?
DW told me last week that my 89 year old FIL had buried $40K in cash under his tool shed...
Old 11-09-2008, 07:26 AM   #4

I don't see why the contractor should be entitled to any of the money, since it was part of the property of the homeowner. :confused:

If she wanted to give him a reward for finding the money, fine (she offered him 10%, but he wanted 40%). Nor do I see why Dunne's descendants are entitled to any of the money.
FIRE'd@51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
Nor do I see why Dunne's descendants are entitled to any of the money.
No, only their lawyers>
Old 11-09-2008, 08:09 AM   #6

i see both sides of this one..... imo most contractors would've pocketed and run...so without him she wouldve never known about it. on the flip, 20k extra than he planned on making is a windfall in itself...so he shouldve been content

did i miss the part in this article outlining the actual $$ amounts given to each party? (excluding of course the 60k she had 'stolen')
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:41 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
i see both sides of this one..... imo most contractors would've pocketed and run...
Well, I guess you should have inside knowledge here, Fed.

Thanks for the reminder that contractors are thieves. Since I have been a renter I haven't had that demonstrated to me quite so often as before.

Ha
Old 11-09-2008, 08:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Well, I guess you should have inside knowledge here, Fed.

Thanks for the reminder that contractors are thieves. Since I have been a renter I haven't had that demonstrated to me quite so often as before.

Ha
dont get me wrong...there are plenty of contractors out there that try to do the right thing and often go above and beyond for their customers. I've always been a believer in kharma and treat my customers as I wish to be treated.

On some of these jobs though that I go to with several contractors on-site, you'd be shocked at the things that go on. From cutting corners, to hiding damage to petty theft.

Perhaps saying 'most' contractors is misleading...and an assumption...but MANY sure fits the bill.
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:47 AM   #9

I read this article earlier and could not find any reference as to who got what. My interpretation was no-one got much which led me to the conclusion that the lawyers made out like bandits on this one.

I was also puzzled as to why the contractor thought he was entitled to a cent.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:19 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Hush money.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:26 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Wild story. My impression is that the homeowner had control of the cash after the find, and that she spent or hid most of it. Her claim that the contractor snuck back in the house and stole $60,000 of the find is pretty weak. I think the contractor looks pretty good in this article.
OhSoClose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:34 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSoClose View Post
I think the contractor looks pretty good in this article.
I guess it depends on your view of extortion. I think the homeowner should have shot him and stuffed him back into the wall.

Ha
Old 11-09-2008, 06:12 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
I don't see why the contractor should be entitled to any of the money, since it was part of the property of the homeowner. :confused:

If she wanted to give him a reward for finding the money, fine (she offered him 10%, but he wanted 40%). Nor do I see why Dunne's descendants are entitled to any of the money.
Yeah, that's exactly what I thought when I read this story when it first came out back in December. I can't believe that the previous owner's descendants had any legal claim to the money, although I don't know what the law has to say about such things. Don't you get claim to everything on a property upon sale? Why would something stuffed into the walls not be entirely the property of the current owner?

Strange story that just illustrates once again how a large windfall of money can all too often result in a lot of heartache and trouble for the recipients (see lotteries, inheritances, sweepstakes, found money, etc.)
Gardnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:38 AM   #14

You usually do not get mineral rights, drilling rights (for oil or gas) and you give up lots of easements. However, I had trouble seeing how the descendants had any claim UNLESS the will mentions some such asset like "all property at (address)". I am sure some attorney could work with that. Also the sales contract may have be a "contract for deed" which, until paid off, I guess could give the descendants some claim.

IMHO the Contractor was truthful (and maybe some would say a bit "dumb"). He sure did not "know his client". The owner really should have thought that one out a little better. Appears she got "mad" at the contractor and proceeded to "cut off her nose despite her face". Funny story however and a good look at one facet of human nature; found treasure impact.