Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-10-2013, 10:57 PM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post

I've been debating dropping the land line. My 95 year old mom rarely calls me but when she does, she dials that number. Can't get her to use my cell number. Plus the quality of a cell call is not always good and I need it to be for her. So I need it for now.
You can now move your landline phone number to a cell phone. We still have a landline too, but are planning to do that. At least your mother would know your cell no. that way.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2013, 11:52 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTravis View Post
There is a setting on all wifi routers that lets you turn off the broadcast of the hotspot name (SSID). You have to know what it is, of course, in order to connect to it because you aren't going to see it on a list of locals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Turning off the broadcast of the SSID is a good move.
Problem is.......no clue how to do that. Oh well...........

Old 01-11-2013, 04:36 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by eridanus View Post
Sharing internet may or may not violate the TOS. "Theft of service" is a legal term, however, and doesn't apply. There are no unlawful means to obtain the service if the provider (the neighbor) agrees to sharing.
Please provide a link to an ISP's terms and conditions for residential service that does not preclude sharing service with those outside the household.

Here is what Verizon FiOS says:

"... you may not provide Internet access to third parties through a wired or wireless connection or use the Service to facilitate public Internet access (such as through a Wi-Fi hotspot) ... "

Incidentally, here's the part that covers what we were referring to earlier:

"You are responsible for all use of your Service and account, whether by you or someone using your account with or without your permission, including all secondary or sub-accounts associated with your primary account ..."

My Verizon
Old 01-11-2013, 04:39 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Had a little go around the other day with a Verizon billing lady (this happens monthly). Their service is great but their billing sucks. I am convinced that they put this junk on bills and hope you don't catch it.
Verizon's billing system had been intrinsically intertwined with their provisioning system. That worked well when I worked for the Bell System (back when there was a Bell System) but hasn't been a good idea for at least 25 years. They have been making changes - very slowly - to extricate billing from the mess its legacy tendrils inflicted on it, but evidently it is much more difficult or costly than we can imagine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
The interview with Susan Crawford will set your teeth on edge.
Did she set forth any suggestions to change things, or was it just a bitchfest?
Old 01-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #65

Paying comcast $126 for the "bundle" (cable, internet, phone).

Every time I look at divorcing comcast I am reminded that we'ld have to give up our email addresses. My vacation rental would take a major hit since I have 7 years of contacts with that address. Almost as bad as giving up the cell phone number I've had for 20+ years .... ain't gonna happen!

So to level the playing field I called comcast customer service and bounced the intro offers the competitors offer and asked to be given THIER intro "bundle" price for the intro term .... they AGREED (under "customer appreciation"). So we can fight back - a little.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #66

Quote:
Here is what Verizon FiOS says:

"... you may not provide Internet access to third parties through a wired or wireless connection or use the Service to facilitate public Internet access (such as through a Wi-Fi hotspot) ... "
But try to get customer service to help you set up a secured wireless network ... they tell you to call the router manufacturer. My network is unsecure at the lake ... third/forth/fifth parties using it all day long (when they're there)
Old 01-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
But try to get customer service to help you set up a secured wireless network ... they tell you to call the router manufacturer. My network is unsecure at the lake ... third/forth/fifth parties using it all day long (when they're there)
Why not password protect your router?
Old 01-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #68

The signal only reaches my house and 1 neighbor (who has his own internet) ... renters come from out of state (and international). Really don't want the phone calls when they can't connect. If they do something stupid ... I have enough contact info for the police to track them down.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
Please provide a link to an ISP's terms and conditions for residential service that does not preclude sharing service with those outside the household.
Sure. There are a few listed here. If ya want the TOS, you can contact them.

https://www.eff.org/pages/wireless-friendly-isps
Old 01-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Problem is.......no clue how to do that. Oh well...........
It doesn't matter. Even if you "block" broadcasting the SSID in your router settings, it is still available. Anybody with the capability to hack into your system can find your SSID if your wireless access point is online. Thinking you can hide your SSID is false security.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:07 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
Paying comcast $126 for the "bundle" (cable, internet, phone).

Every time I look at divorcing comcast I am reminded that we'ld have to give up our email addresses. My vacation rental would take a major hit since I have 7 years of contacts with that address. Almost as bad as giving up the cell phone number I've had for 20+ years .... ain't gonna happen!

So to level the playing field I called comcast customer service and bounced the intro offers the competitors offer and asked to be given THIER intro "bundle" price for the intro term .... they AGREED (under "customer appreciation"). So we can fight back - a little.
Register your own domain, and use email forwarding to your email provider so you never have to change your email address. I've done that since 1996, and have not regretted that. I've used the same email address through multiple ISPs.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:07 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by eridanus View Post
Sure. There are a few listed here. If ya want the TOS, you can contact them.

https://www.eff.org/pages/wireless-friendly-isps
Interesting, though note that some of those are just EFF stretching the truth to put forward their preference as fact. For example, Covad's FAQ states that multiple users in the same home may share the same internet connection. Yet they include Covad on the list because some random unnamed CSR say something off-the-cuff. Continet is on the list, despite their rule, "Internet Access is provided on a single user basis, unless you contract with us separately." And those are just the first two I checked. EFF's prevarications promoting transgression are part of a big problem in this country.

There probably are some genuine examples, though. However, you cannot trust EFF to outline them for you, because EFF has a vested interest in fostering transgression against rules they don't like, and have a history of prevarication, as demonstrated above.