Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-11-2015, 06:10 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Incremental backups are great for space, but when you're stressed and searching for a file you deleted, it can add stress. You have to find just the right backup. Maybe newer backup software handles that well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Not the way I do 'em. The way Rsync (and many other systems) works is, your first backup copies everything. Subsequent runs just add whatever has been added/changed. Directory structure and everything 'looks' just like the source.

That's the only way I'll do it. I don't want some backup file that has to be processed to recreate the original. I want to go in and look for a file and see that it is there. I routinely test my backups by doing just that.

-ERD50

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2015, 06:31 PM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Curiosity question:
Is there anyone who does NOT use "Everything"?
From the standpoint of memory, it's a program I could not live without.

The second program that is invaluable to me is SlimCleaner... not just for junk files, but for almost all speed factors and extraneous files.

We all know what we know... most will never follow suggestions... even when they're free.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:04 PM   #123
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Curiosity question:
Is there anyone who does NOT use "Everything"?
From the standpoint of memory, it's a program I could not live without.

The second program that is invaluable to me is SlimCleaner... not just for junk files, but for almost all speed factors and extraneous files.

We all know what we know... most will never follow suggestions... even when they're free.
"Everything"? Looks like an indexed search tool? That's been built into Mac OSX for years now ("Searchlight" I think it's called), no additions required. I use RECOLL on Ubuntu/Linux. Indexed search is not built into Windows?

"SlimCleaner" - looks like defragging? Not sure that's a big deal with a modern OS.

-ERD50
Old 02-11-2015, 07:20 PM   #124
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Not the way I do 'em. The way Rsync (and many other systems) works is, your first backup copies everything. Subsequent runs just add whatever has been added/changed. Directory structure and everything 'looks' just like the source.

That's the only way I'll do it. I don't want some backup file that has to be processed to recreate the original. I want to go in and look for a file and see that it is there. I routinely test my backups by doing just that.

-ERD50
Here's the issue I have, and maybe rsync resolves it:

On the morning of June 1, I delete an important file.

With weekly full backups I just go back to the backup for the previous Friday, and restore my file.

With weekly incremental backups, the file may not be on last Friday's backup, because maybe it hasn't been modified for three months. So now I need to work back through the incremental backups and find one made within a week of the last modification. I can't skip any, because then I might not get the most recent version.

But perhaps rsync handles that situation, and keeps track of all the mods, and gives you a list of the files as if you had a full backup. Does it?
Old 02-11-2015, 07:29 PM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here's the issue I have, and maybe rsync resolves it:

On the morning of June 1, I delete an important file.

With weekly full backups I just go back to the backup for the previous Friday, and restore my file.

With weekly incremental backups, the file may not be on last Friday's backup, because maybe it hasn't been modified for three months. So now I need to work back through the incremental backups and find one made within a week of the last modification. I can't skip any, because then I might not get the most recent version.

But perhaps rsync handles that situation, and keeps track of all the mods, and gives you a list of the files as if you had a full backup. Does it?
You are waaaaay over thinking this. When it comes to backups, I keep things simple, simple, simple.

All these files are in ONE PLACE (times as many separate backups you want to make). Like I said, "Directory structure and everything 'looks' just like the source."

So everything goes in on the first run, additions are made with each incremental run. Your deleted file would still be there, it doesn't delete anything (unless you specify that). There is no 'going back to different backups'. It's simple, real simple. IOW, it is always a 'full backup'.

rsync is open source, very stable, and supported on just about everything.

-ERD50
Old 02-11-2015, 09:27 PM   #126
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

rsync is a great tool and is part of a unix(linux) system out of the box. Most implementation for windows are paid software ( even though rsync itself is GPL ) and need additional support installed.

Synctoy is available from Download SyncToy 2.1 from Official Microsoft Download Center , and is close to rsync. I use it on windows systems for rsync functions.

FreeFileSync is another cross platform with gui FreeFileSync | SourceForge.net

rsync is essentially a beefed up copy program. It makes copies of specified files/folders and only copies the changes as required.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:12 AM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
All these files are in ONE PLACE (times as many separate backups you want to make). Like I said, "Directory structure and everything 'looks' just like the source."

So everything goes in on the first run, additions are made with each incremental run. Your deleted file would still be there, it doesn't delete anything (unless you specify that). There is no 'going back to different backups'. It's simple, real simple. IOW, it is always a 'full backup'.

rsync is open source, very stable, and supported on just about everything.

-ERD50
Sounds good. Concerning the procedures ...

Let's say that each week I modify MyFile.txt and each week I do an incremental backup.

You're saying all the all the data is in one place. When I bring up rsync and want to restore one of those MyFile.txt files, what does it display, and how do I choose one of the middle versions to restore?

Thanks.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:04 AM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sounds good. Concerning the procedures ...

Let's say that each week I modify MyFile.txt and each week I do an incremental backup.

You're saying all the all the data is in one place. When I bring up rsync and want to restore one of those MyFile.txt files, what does it display, and how do I choose one of the middle versions to restore?

Thanks.
You are still over-thinking this.There is no 'restore' process. I won't use any backup that requires a 'restore' process. I was burned by that once (some chicken-egg deal with the restore software needing to be updated and I couldn't do it with my limping system), and I won't expose myself to that again.

Your backup is always a 'full backup'. Like I said, it just is a copy of the directories you want backed up. Just go into the backup, find the file on that drive in the exact place it would be on your source drive, and copy it over. Simple, simple, simple. You don't use rsync to restore the file, you just use your file browser.

Like rbmrtn said, it is just a beefed up copy program.

Now, the one 'gotcha' in your case is (at least the way I use mine), is that a newer
MyFile.txt file would over-write the old MyFile.txt file on the backup. There might be options to auto-replace with a filename(1) copy, I'll take a look. This isn't an issue for me, for anything that I update that I really care about, I'm rigorous in adding a v001, v002, v003 suffix to the file name. I suppose you could get burned if a file got corrupted, and over-wrote the old one? That's pretty rare, and I suppose the answer is an occasional archive.

This option might do that, I'll test it out later:

-b, --backup

-ERD50
Old 02-13-2015, 10:12 AM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You might look into version control software if you've got some document that you need this level of historical access.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:40 AM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

This option might do that, I'll test it out later:

-b, --backup

-ERD50
OK, I tested "-b" option with rsync, it does work... kinda.

To test, I made a change to a file (FileA.txt) w/o updating the name. Rsync did as it should, it copied the new, but first renamed the old to FileA.txt~

But... if I do it again, the FileA.txt~ gets replaced, IOW, this only gives you one generation back. Better than nothing I guess. And I guess it does protect against the odd chance of a little used file being corrupted. For it to change again, I would have had to have opened it and changed it, and I'd probably be aware it was corrupted, and go to the previous gen backup in that case.

But I'd agree with Lsbcal, if versions are important to your work (and you can't count on doing it manually), use some forced version-ing SW.

-ERD50
Old 02-13-2015, 12:11 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

With regular backups, all stored, you have an ad hoc versioning system. Since it's rare to need a file from a particular date, that's good enough for me.

With any document that gets modified regularly, there is a great advantage to being able to go back and get that file as it existed on a particular date.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:13 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

I've figured out a few things about backing up to the cloud, and I'll start a new topic on that.