Join Early Retirement Today

Internet problems...
Old 08-13-2014, 09:27 AM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Internet problems...

This article explains why some internet connections have recently had problems, as well as warning about future probable disruptions.

Internet hiccups today? You're not alone. Here's why | ZDNet

From Tuesday August 12...

Quote:
Many tier-one Internet service providers (ISPs), and in turn, the last mile ISPs they support, experienced technical problems that resulted in bad service throughout the US and some parts of Canada.

According to postings in the North American Network Operators Group (NANOG) mailing list, the professional association for Internet engineering and architecture, there have been "major problems with multiple ISPs since around 4-5 AM EST."

According to NANOG, and complaints tracker DownDetector, many Internet providers — including Level 3, AT&T, Cogent, Sprint, Verizon, and others — have suffered from serious performance problems at various times on Tuesday.

And they won't be the last.
More explanation in the article.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2014, 04:50 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

For the last week or so, I've been having connection 'hiccups' where pages won't load and I get the "Page Cannot Be Displayed" screen even though my connection strength is 'good'. Other times pages just take f..o...r.....e....vvvvvver to load.

So maybe it isn't just me?
BBQ-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:41 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yup, what BBQ-Nut said.

I've tried resetting the modem, which works once in a while. Other times I'm just off.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:40 AM   #4

We do business with a hosting company that recently reported widespread problems (across the Internet) that were attributed to name brand commercial network routers that hit a memory limit on their routing tables. They were already working on the problem and were able to update the routers pretty quickly to allocate more memory to the routing tables. I expect other organizations did the same.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:18 AM   #5

You mean I can quit trying to find the problem and fix my computer? I've had a nightmare with delayed returns (loads is the term normally used but it's like it went out to Comcast and through the ether and occasionally didn't win the marathon race with "Page cannot be displayed". I don't think "slow load" is descriptive enough.)

It SEEMS to me that my Windows computers are having more problems than my Kindle Fire HDX is having.

Oh, now that I read it, I see it's kinda like a Y2K problem. Hope no planes need the internet to stay aloft.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:26 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

On Tuesday I couldn't log into Apple's iCloud from any of my devices. I knew something was seriously messed up!
Old 08-14-2014, 12:24 PM   #7

Having worked in the field, I'm actually surprised we haven't had more issues like this with the exponential grown in both traffic and devices over the past decade. Building out the infrastructure is expensive and complex, and unfortunately can be difficult and expensive to expand or replace if it isn't pretty much perfectly designed from the beginning. In "olden times" (1990s) it was normal to have maintenance/outage windows of at least a few hours per week. That went down to a few hours/month in the '00s, and now everyone expects 99.99% availability 24x7. This is tough to engineer and maintain. Fortunately there are now engineers who've been doing this for long enough now to design for this - unfortunately $(&! happens anyway.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:29 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm, performance probelms. Not good.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:21 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

We have about ten net clients in our house. The phones probably switched to 4G, so nothing noticed there. The problems were more noticeable on our tablets, as they are more active. I finally rebooted router and modem an hour ago, even though speeds were normal today.

You have to power off devices to clear route caches in Windows. Okay, you don't, but it's easy that way. Probably a good maintenance procedure to do this weekly for all devices.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote