Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-29-2011, 07:06 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My power went out for 3 hours a couple of days ago, and my UPS (450VA, < $50) will only keep my computer up for about 10 minutes. I was so irritated that I ordered a new UPS with 3 times the capacity (1580VA, < $200).

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2011, 07:56 PM   #22

I'm a serious computer user. I thought I'd have a tough time being without the internet. On the last couple of trips we've made I was able to go without internet for days and it was easier than I expected.

On my last trip I took a netbook and it was a few days before I even opened it and then I just checked email and the bank site and put it away.

When I'm home it's always available and I'm dependent on it for everything.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
When I try to cut down, I end up spending more time on the Internet. Is that a sign of addiction?

The real problem is when you close the loop. That is, when you have enough things that you check online (e.g. ER Forum, bike forum, piano forum, etc.) such that when you've finished checking the last one, it's time to check the first one again.
LOL you got that right! The dreaded loop.....

My internet usage went up when I finally switched to DSL a few years ago from dial-up. Only my desire not to aggravate my sensitive wrist (I wear one of those protectors while on line, at least most of the time) keeps me off the Net.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:14 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

We're on vacation in Hawaii and I'm glad I brought the laptop. It has been indispensible for getting information on dozens of different things from restaurant menus to tropical fish guides for snorkeling, all from the comfort of the condo.

Our friend has a Droid for us to use in the car. Don't leave home without it
Old 01-30-2011, 06:37 AM   #25

Yup - count me in here, too. Was just at a resort in Austria and they had no internet in the hotel room and a very limited modem capability in the conference room for the meeting.....however, I was able to handle it OK.....funny thing, when I left the house for the trip, had no TV signal nor internet capability, left early for airport....had nothing to do! Well, could have cleaned or something else, but why? :-)

The access to unlimited information for answering questions, getting recipes, etc, is amazing - have a question? Google it or something like that. Want to buy something? Amazon or a shopping comparitor site is valuable. Does wonders for enabling an impatient person in their endeavors :-) The internet and access to information has been a society and life changer - those of use who remember when we had to go to 'someone who knew' or to the library and look at microfiche realize how amazing this is.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:09 AM   #26

So you'd think we would be a lot smarter now
Old 01-30-2011, 09:30 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat View Post
- have a question? Google it or something like that.
I can't stand getting hits for my questions from answers.com or yahoo answers. Too many jerks who think they are funny or think they know something when they do not.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:38 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
So you'd think we would be a lot smarter now
I know a lot more (mostly useless) stuff, but that doesn't make me smarter.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:48 PM   #29

Old 01-30-2011, 01:57 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
let's ask the Internet
RonBoyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:02 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

That's funny, Sarah! That screen could also show "Want to stop poison ivy itch? Subscribe to my newsletter and I'll tell you how!"

Weirdly although we have the Internet on almost all the time at home, it doesn't bother me to go out of town and not have it available--maybe because I can check e-mail, research directions, etc., etc., on DH's smart phone. Oh, wait, that is like saying one can give up scotch as long as beer is available....
Old 01-30-2011, 02:58 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I can't stand getting hits for my questions from answers.com or yahoo answers. Too many jerks who think they are funny or think they know something when they do not.
Sounds a lot like a discussion board!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:35 AM   #33

Quote:
Well, I do understand I get what I pay for when going to Google :-) However, for some basic stuff that you've forgotten (inadvertently or on purpose), it is amazing. Plus, for some arcane things in history or meanings of words or for me here in Germany understanding some cultural things, it is great. And, you can peruse many different aspects of a subject - super left, super right, middle, odd, upside down. I mean what would you do all day otherwise ;-) Oh right, you could come here, too.....
Old 01-31-2011, 06:51 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Over on the bike forum, two members have asked to have themselves banned from the forum, apparently in a bid to break their addiction.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:58 PM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Over on the bike forum, two members have asked to have themselves banned from the forum, apparently in a bid to break their addiction.
Let me guess: the sadistic mods said "no".

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:07 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

It just occurred to me - this is really why Mubarak shut down the internet in Egypt.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:24 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You and DW?
RonBoyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:32 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Agreed, I've been thinking of blocking those sites from the searches (assuming there is a way to do that). The answers generally lower my already low opinion of the average person.

wikipedia/wiktionary/wikinews/wikiquotes is pretty much my go-to for everything.

-ERD50
Old 01-31-2011, 07:56 PM   #39

It is not an addiction, simply displacement activity.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:02 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I used to spend too much time online, but I've cut back quite a bit. I never sign on when I'm out of town. As a matter of fact, I don't even watch the news while I'm gone. It's very nice as I am blissfully ignorant of all things happening.

If I didn't have friends all over the globe, I would spend even less time online.