Interview with Israeli Rocket Man on North Korea

Lsbcal

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
This has interesting views on (1) cyber security, (2) missile defense. A few things I did not know:

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/arti...north-korea-and-iran-with-israel-s-rocket-man

I am interested in the technical issues here, NOT the politics.

One interesting point:
Why does the number of trained personnel matter? Why can’t a country like North Korea simply hire foreign hackers?
The Lone Hacker is mythology. You need networks to mount serious operations. First, you have to gather information on the target. This takes time and effort, and it is an ongoing process. You have to constantly monitor and update what you know and what the other side is doing. If your goal is to insert a Trojan virus, like Stuxnet, it must be done gradually and stealthily. According to foreign analysts, it took two years and hundreds of highly skilled operatives.

I love the last Q&A:

How does Israel’s protocol for launching nuclear weapons differ from the American model?
Thank you very much for stopping by.

< mod hat on >

Just a general warning... This article and topic could very easily turn political. Please think twice (or more) before posting on this topic.

The OP indicated an interest in the technical aspect of things... Not politics. The thread has a chance of surviving if we avoid politics.

< mod hat off >

Remember watching a 60 minutes episode about how old some of the technology is in the US. For example, still dependent on old floppy disks (forget if of the 5 or 8 inch variety). The good about such old technology is less prone to hacking.

There ... I managed the talk about technology and not the other stuff :cool:.

< mod hat on >

Just a general warning... This article and topic could very easily turn political. Please think twice (or more) before posting on this topic.

The OP indicated an interest in the technical aspect of things... Not politics. The thread has a chance of surviving if we avoid politics.

< mod hat off >

Boo!

Remember watching a 60 minutes episode about how old some of the technology is in the US. For example, still dependent on old floppy disks (forget if of the 5 or 8 inch variety). The good about such old technology is less prone to hacking.

There ... I managed the talk about technology and not the other stuff :cool:.
That show was not about the newer defensive missile systems.

That show was not about the newer defensive missile systems.

No, it was about the older systems. As I recall, about some of the system hidden in states that still uses old floppies :(.

I have a hard time believing that it's as bad as that (still using floppy drives). I used to work for the US Nuclear Navy. We had desks and chairs from World War II but when it came to the things that mattered, like computers, we had the latest technology. At that period of time it was cray supercomputers.

I imagine someone got photos of an old abandoned silo or maybe an old movie set and is claiming this is what is used. I was heavily involved in upgrading other systems to the latest technology and can’t imagine missile silos would not be kept up to date.

60 minutes did a story a few years back on aging missile silos out west. They purposely are not updating them with modern computers and still use floppy drives. The thought is that they are our last line of defense against some kind of monster killer virus that takes out all digital computers in aircraft, subs, and NORAD. It is an interesting story, you could probably find it on-line.

60 minutes did a story a few years back on aging missile silos out west. They purposely are not updating them with modern computers and still use floppy drives. The thought is that they are our last line of defense against some kind of monster killer virus that takes out all digital computers in aircraft, subs, and NORAD. It is an interesting story, you could probably find it on-line.

Yes, this is the 60 minutes episode I was referring to. The best defense is to stay old and not updated :LOL:.

Thanks for the article. I read that one, and then did a google search to read more about the Israeli Iron Dome. Very interesting.

Back
Top Bottom