Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-23-2011, 10:11 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
.........Somewhat off track: One of her fellow volunteers had to be hospitalized briefly, and when she got the bill, it itemized $40 for a bandaid, she said "F&^% this, I'm volunteering weekly for years, and I have to pay $40 for a bandaid?"
The regular price is $100. She got the volunteer rate.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2011, 04:49 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

My husband edits Legacy Videos for Hospice. All he does is the editing. Someone else videos the people telling their life story, another person puts it on a DVD which another person brings to our house. Someone else picks up the finished DVD from our house. He has taught himself a lot about video editing and enjoys picking out music, opening scenes, and pictures for DVD covers, and Hospice seems to really appreciate his work as well as the families of the people in Hospice. He can do the videos pretty much when he wants to.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:15 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I've been volunteering pretty steadily since I retired 11 years ago. I am also an INTJ although based on my memory of various Briggs-Meyer test scores I am actually smack in middle in the introvert vs extrovert. Almost all of the 1/2 dozen activities I've volunteered for involve talking to strangers, (generally tourists) which judging from the INTJ thread would exhausting to a lot of folks.

I think there are a lot of volunteer activities that are suitable for INTJ. Almost every group I've been involved with needs help with their website, IT, or back office tasks are generally needed. Lots of them need things maintained or projects built for the handyman type.

My main problem with volunteering is that while it provides a reasonable substitute for the social interaction that are missing from work, generally the work itself is repetitive and not all that intellectually stimulating. So I find myself being a serial volunteer, I'll help out at place from 1-5 years and then move to another activity.

If it becomes more like work than fun, I'll cut on hours and if that doesn't work I'll quit.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:32 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoferp View Post
My husband edits Legacy Videos for Hospice. All he does is the editing. Someone else videos the people telling their life story, another person puts it on a DVD which another person brings to our house. Someone else picks up the finished DVD from our house. He has taught himself a lot about video editing and enjoys picking out music, opening scenes, and pictures for DVD covers, and Hospice seems to really appreciate his work as well as the families of the people in Hospice. He can do the videos pretty much when he wants to.
That strikes me as very nice volunteer activity that i would very much
appreciate if i were a recipient. Thanks for sharing that.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:51 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
I've tried volunteering for different things and I've discovered that I begin to feel a deep seated anxiety about having another mandatory thing in my life. I start out with altruistic intents, but....
In a lot of threads, people suggest volunteering as an option for social contact. But, given that we INTJ's don't do well in social settings, isn't volunteering just setting us up for anxiety?
I find that I tend to prefer donating my money rather than my time.

The exception is when I'm learning as much from donating my time as the organization is benefiting from having my time. Even then I still sort of regret being caught in rush-hour traffic after a particularly good afternoon meeting.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:32 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DW and I talk about this all the time. I did a lot of volunteer work in my teens and during my 20's. Not so much since then and none in ER yet. I have good intentions but I have yet to find a really interesting activity that would motivate me to re-align my priorities to actually w*rk for somebody else...for free. I don't see it as stingy, we give a lot to various charities and organizations every year. My issue is it has to be mentally challenging and I have to WANT to do it. So far my other interests and the shop keep me busy enough that I don't have time to be bored or look for more w*rk to do. Maybe someday but not yet.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:43 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I have 2 things for which I volunteer. One is a hobby, ham radio which I love, for which I do emergency communications for my county and surrounding areas. The other is w**king in the local elementary school library where I set my own hours. The school is happy to have volunteers no matter how many of few hours you are available. The plus for being at the library is that I get 2 see my 3 grand children
Old 05-30-2011, 01:00 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
There is an organization in my area called Hands On Greater Portland which provides volunteer opportunities on a one time basis. Projects range from a few hours to a full day. Volunteers can sign up for as much or as little as they want. Maybe there is something similar in your area. ...
+1 for Hands On. It is a network of organizations that match volunteers with schools, parks, nonprofits, etc. that need volunteers. Most have online registration where you can look for a project or activity that interests you and sign up right there. Many are one-time projects, others are longer term. If you don't find a Hands On in your community, try searching for "Volunteer Center of <name of community or county>" - that's another common name for the same service.

You'll see by my signature that I am volunteering a lot - both long term commitments (such as board member and volunteer CIO of our United Way) and one-time (worked ticket sales at a wine festival yesterday, got paid with a free ticket ). May have to cut back a bit as I'm about to launch a consulting business related to some of my volunteer experience - seems there is a need that groups are willing to pay for.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:25 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

INTJ. Never volunteer. Been recruited many a time for short term with ability to say no - never a regular. I also prefer monitary donation(anonymously where possible) to time comitments.

heh heh heh - I prefer to outwardly project the grumpy Curmudgeon as first line of defense.