Join Early Retirement Today

Intrusive Survey?
Old 11-27-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Intrusive Survey?

A friend received the American Community Survey in the mail. It appears to be a very indepth (intrusive) survey. Includes questions about job, finances, mortage payments, cars, insurance, income, health, etcetera. She doesn't want to fill it out, but it is mandatory by law. She can face steep fines or jail time if she doesn't complete it truthfully.

Has anyone else ever received this survey? Did you fill it out? If not - were you ever contacted again?
Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog View Post
Has anyone else ever received this survey? Did you fill it out? If not - were you ever contacted again?
No. Nor had I ever heard of it.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:29 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

This appears to be another name for the Census Long Form. The Census Bureau has Constitutional authority to conduct this survey.

Is the American Community Survey legitimate?

I have not received this survey. If I did, I would fill it out.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog View Post
it is mandatory by law. She can face steep fines or jail time if she doesn't complete it truthfully.

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:54 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Did not get that survey but I did get an online survey popup from this forum (suposedly) that struck me as intrusive. It said the survey was being conducted to improve the web site. First couple of questions had to do with net worth and income. After a couple of those, I opted out.

Free to canoe
Free To Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:04 PM   #5

So, if a criminal were going to go phishing, what stops them from sending out their own "Community Survey" to ask all the hard questions needed to collect personal and account data. Seems dangerous to just assume that if it says "American Community" that it is the legitimate census survey.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:44 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
So, if a criminal were going to go phishing, what stops them from sending out their own "Community Survey" to ask all the hard questions needed to collect personal and account data. Seems dangerous to just assume that if it says "American Community" that it is the legitimate census survey.
From the census bureau site that Amethyst posted:

Quote:
If you have additional concerns about whether the American Community Survey is legitimate, call 1-800-354-7271 for additional confirmation.
I would not hesitate to complete the survey. If you are concerned, call the number above to confirm that the address paid envelope you likely received is genuine.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:41 PM   #7

I wouldn't answer it but, then, I have a problem with authority.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:17 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I would answer it but totally lie about everything because I have a problem with honesty.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:27 PM   #9

I don't know what the American Community Survey is but I'd love to see them put me in jail cause I didn't fill it out. Sheeeesh!
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:18 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, this could be very helpful for those living below their means. Don't fill it out and go to jail where you get 3 squares and a roof over you head for free.

All joking aside, I wouldn't fill it out. They would need to prove it was delivered to you and you received it. Unless you signed for it you're off the hook.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:21 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

As the Census explains, the survey data is to help figure out how to distribute $400B. You can lie if you like but all you do is make the system less effective. The Founders put a Census in the Constitution. Were they riding around in the carraige equivalents of black helicopters?

Now this forum's popup survey - that is a different matter. Popups seem like the least trustworthy method of gathering data.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
As the Census explains, the survey data is to help figure out how to distribute $400B. You can lie if you like but all you do is make the system less effective. The Founders put a Census in the Constitution. Were they riding around in the carraige equivalents of black helicopters?

Now this forum's popup survey - that is a different matter. Popups seem like the least trustworthy method of gathering data.
The founders wanted a census to apportion Congress. The idea of using it to distribute $400B would have them spinning in their graves like lathes.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:11 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodak View Post
the founders wanted a census to apportion congress. The idea of using it to distribute $400b would have them spinning in their graves like lathes.
+1

-erd50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:42 AM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
I wouldn't answer it but, then, I have a problem with authority.
Good man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I would answer it but totally lie about everything because I have a problem with honesty.
Also a good man. If they can't prove that you're lying, then what you say is the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer08 View Post
All joking aside, I wouldn't fill it out. They would need to prove it was delivered to you and you received it. Unless you signed for it you're off the hook.
Thanks for the tip.
old.snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:18 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

We never received the regular census form in the mail. I checked online and the suggestion was...don't worry....We'll come by to knock on your door...so we waited....nothing. After awhile I checked with neighbors and none of them received anything either and it dawned on me that our homes were built since the 2000 census and they probably did not have our addresses on file...dumb. I lost a lot of confidence in the whole process.