Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-23-2015, 07:55 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
No wonder Microsoft got out of the business and Quicken/Mint has no serious competition.
I can't agree with the "no competition" part, ejman.

Quicken's market has been "disrupted" in the past few years by a bunch of competitors in the roboadvisor marketplace. See Wealthfront, Betterment, Learnvest, and a bunch of trader-specific tools that have been introduced. Many require no license fees or upgrade expenses.

Cobra9777's experience probably sums up why Intuit sees selling Quicken as the best use of capital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post

I used Quicken for over 10 years, but dropped it several years ago...

At first I used mint.com, which is essentially just an online version of Quicken, but geared toward people starting out and trying to get a handle on debt, spending, budgets, etc. I soon discovered that Personal Capital is much better suited for my needs.

No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2015, 08:10 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
I can't agree with the "no competition" part, ejman.

Quicken's market has been "disrupted" in the past few years by a bunch of competitors in the roboadvisor marketplace. See Wealthfront, Betterment, Learnvest, and a bunch of trader-specific tools that have been introduced. Many require no license fees or upgrade expenses.

Cobra9777's experience probably sums up why Intuit sees selling Quicken as the best use of capital.
Can I manually enter my information into Personal Capital (or the other ones you mentioned) or does it require to enter my account information with passwords and such? if it requires password info that's a non starter for me.

Basically, I don't trust ANY website that requires such comprehensive info. For all I know that could be a front for who knows what and easily broken into by who knows who to have the passwords for my financial life. Much too paranoid for that...

Old 08-23-2015, 08:54 PM   #23

So far as i know, any software - whether cloud-based or loaded on your machine - requires stored passwords to look up or download transactions and actual share balances.

I'm a half-and-half guy.

I use the MS Money sunset edition for tracking my investments, which requires that I manually enter all transactions and price changes. It takes a little time each week / month, but it has some of the same benefits as balancing a checkbook.

I have linked my checking account and credit cards to Personal Capital because I like the way it tracks spending.

Neither solution is best-in-class, but it works for me.

Edit to add: I had given some thought to Quicken in the past, but was discouraged by reading all the moaning and groaning here on E-R.org.
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:11 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
So far as i know, any software - whether cloud-based or loaded on your machine - requires stored passwords to look up or download transactions and actual share balances.

I'm a half-and-half guy.

I use the MS Money sunset edition for tracking my investments, which requires that I manually enter all transactions and price changes. It takes a little time each week / month, but it has some of the same benefits as balancing a checkbook.

I have linked my checking account and credit cards to Personal Capital because I like the way it tracks spending.

Neither solution is best-in-class, but it works for me.

Edit to add: I had given some thought to Quicken in the past, but was discouraged by reading all the moaning and groaning here on E-R.org.

It was many many moons ago, has to be more than 15 years, but Quicken did require you to keep your password in their program (not sure if you could or not, but probably could).... IIRC, and I could be way off on this, I would open quicken and then do something to download transactions and have to put in my account info and password every time....

Now, I quickly stopped doing it for checking as it was pretty bad in putting them where I wanted... I could quickly enter all transactions in a few minutes...

Also, they would download prices without having to log into an account

Right now I just have Vanguard keep track of my investments... I update non-Vanguard investments maybe once a quarter if there is no ticker associated with the investment.... not as good for determining returns etc. like you might want, but they are getting better...

Budget and checking are done on a workbook... working on the past two months right now...
Old 08-24-2015, 07:48 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I used Quicken for many years as I made the journey to financial independence. However it was very buggy and the need to pay more money every couple of years to import transactions was a real drag. It was the only reason I kept windows running, which meant more money and complexity. Worse, I kept my own separate spreadsheets to track my portfolio and budgeting the way I wanted to anyway.

Ultimately I "cut the cord" and dropped Quicken. Glad I did. Now I keep a master portfolio tracking spreadsheet on Google drive that updates automatically whenever I log in and is accessible from anywhere. I track my spending vs budget monthly merely by downloading my transactions right into a custom spreadsheet from my bank and brokers.

It took a few hours to set this up but it's a lot better and cheaper than Quicken was.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-24-2015, 01:06 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Moneydance sounds like a possible viable alternative to Quicken. Can it calculate your current asset allocation across numerous mutual funds and accounts? Does anyone know if there is a good comparison of Quicken and Moneydance anywhere online?

Sent from my EVO using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 08-24-2015, 01:14 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
No, it's way too early to tell if this is a good or bad thing for Quicken's future.
Good point. If anything, Quicken has been hampered by being tied to Intuit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Freedom View Post
Does anyone know if there is a good comparison of Quicken and Moneydance anywhere online?
I checked into Moneydance many years ago and decided to stick with Quicken, but after posting my reasons why online I decided to keep my insights about it to myself going forward because the fans of Moneydance were especially vicious toward those who don't prefer it. While I suspect Moneydance has changed somewhat (as has Quicken) I'm not sure I care enough about posting my insights to bother doing an up to date review, much less find the prospect of switching attractive enough in the absence of a compelling reason to do so, to even review the latest version myself without the intention to share my insights about it.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:58 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
unlikely a good thing

what was the last recent example when it actually was good?
How about Quicken Loans? They certainly seem to be doing better since Intuit sold them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Good point. If anything, Quicken has been hampered by being tied to Intuit.
It's interesting to think that long ago, Intuit's only product was Quicken. They got into the tax market by acquiring ChipSoft, the original makers of TurboTax.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:16 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

[QUOTE=cathy63;1627365]How about Quicken Loans? They certainly seem to be doing better since Intuit sold them.

Not sure if Quicken Loans even close to complexity of Quick software-wise, so not valid to compare them I think ...

But maybe you are right !

(—Charles Bukowski)
wanaberetiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:30 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Freedom View Post
Moneydance sounds like a possible viable alternative to Quicken. Can it calculate your current asset allocation across numerous mutual funds and accounts? Does anyone know if there is a good comparison of Quicken and Moneydance anywhere online?

Sent from my EVO using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I use Moneydance and it works well for what I need. I started with MS Money, went to Quicken, and a couple of years ago, to Moneydance. I didn't migrate my old data file and started from scratch. I did spend some time adding the history for my investments, but everything else I ditched. If I need that data, then I can always load up Quicken (or MS Money, which I've also done in the past).

All of these programs have their quirks and it does take a little bit to get used to them. This was true - at least for me - when I went from MS Money to Quicken, and then Quicken to Moneydance. I found the best way is to try it out for a couple of weeks and see how well it works. Fortunately, you can download a free copy of Moneydance to give it a try.

I'll also add that Moneydance support has been great. I've run into a number of bugs, which I reported to Moneydance and they were fixed in future versions. I never had that level of support in the past.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:34 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki View Post
I use Moneydance and it works well for what I need. ...
Thanks for sharing your experience...
Quick question as I am considering to try Moneydance.

If I started using it say on Windows, will the Mac version use the same data file without any conversions?

(—Charles Bukowski)
wanaberetiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:46 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanaberetiree View Post

If I started using it say on Windows, will the Mac version use the same data file without any conversions?

I've never tried this, but Moneydance data should be cross-platform. I would be surprised if this didn't work, but it would be easy to try out by downloading the free trial version.

This was also a major reason I chose Moneydance over other alternatives. They support Windows/Mac/Linux. I moved over to a Mac and was happy to choose software that is truly cross-platform, in case I ever went back to Windows or move to Linux.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:01 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
I've been doing both manually for years. As long as the number of securities/accounts is reasonable it's really not that big a hassle. I have a few mutual funds, it takes maybe 5 minutes to update quotes/transaction information. I enter my CC/bank transactions manually on a weekly basis - takes maybe 15 minutes (I'm after all retired it's not like I'm rushed for time or anything).

It's actually a routine I quite enjoy and I like verifying my manual entry system with the statements I get from the various institutions.
I have been doing similarly for the whole 15+ years I have been using Quicken. It gives me finer control over categorizing expenses, and the online functions seem more buggy than the rest. Support for the Mac version has always been spotty at best, particularly for transaction download and check writing, so just doing it myself lets me keep on operating. And like you say, the number of things I have to enter aren't that onerous.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:33 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanaberetiree View Post

You might want to check the community forum at the MoneyDance site to see if there is a question like yours or a FAQ. If you can't find anything, just register on the site and ask the question. You'll get an answer either from their Support Team or from users.

I like MoneyDance for its checkbook abilities. I find budgeting to be more convoluted than Quicken and reporting is more limited, but useful. You can always export data and create your own reports in Excel if you feel you need a different view.

Rita