Inversion Table For Lower Back Pain

How is hanging by your feet different, relative to the spine, than hanging by your hands?
Minus weight of head and arms, about same stretch. Effort required, huge. No effort for strapped in, hanging by ankles.

One can test their endurance by grabbing a tree branch and time the duration from ascent to descent.
There are readily practiced options, one hand or two hand hang at will.
grin.gif

Well damnit, I'm buying one anyways, less the cost of two bone crusher visits. If it doesn't help the lower back maybe I can talk the Mrs.s into some fun n games on the thing.

Well damnit, I'm buying one anyways, less the cost of two bone crusher visits. If it doesn't help the lower back maybe I can talk the Mrs.s into some fun n games on the thing.

"Re-purpose"!! :D

I injured my back lifting a patient two years ago. MRI showed several discs in my lower back were deteriorated and that L5-S1 disc was seriously bulging and impinging against S1 nerve. I kind of knew I would need surgery but I wanted to try as many alternatives as possible before going the surgery route. A close friend is a Chiropractor and I worked with him for several months. After that I went to Physical Therapist for several months. Both Chiropractry and PT provided some relief but I found that over time I was using more and more pain meds and decided to try Inversion Therapy as the last resort before surgery. I bought an inversion table from an Ebay source and used it 5 to 10 minutes three or four times per day. It provided immense relief of the pain and I nearly quit using narcotics. The relief I got from the inversion therapy was adequate for being a couch potato but I would have pain come back with much physical activity. I finally decided to have the surgery (L5-S1 discectomy) and have had good results with that. I use no narcotics and am able to do most of what I could do before the injury. Inversion therapy is contraindicated for people with BP problems or some cardiac problems or those with ocular pressure related problems. The most common problems encountered in inversion therapy are small bleeds in the eyes. I did not have this or any other problems while I was doing inversion therapy. Hanging completely suspended from your ankles can be uncomfortable and it takes a few weeks to work up to being able to tolerate it for ten minutes at a time. IMO inversion therapy is worth a try for people with lower back disc problems. BTW, DW did look kind of nice hanging upside down. A highly motivated young couple might be able to find interesting things to do while one party was suspended inverted.
Jeff

LOL I saw this ten year old thread on my "Similar Threads" feed (not sure why). I guess today the only "inversion table" related to pains in the back is the one showing the yield curve.

Anyone here on the forum use one ? Comments, good, bad or indifferent. I have been diagnosed with a deteriorating disc between L-4 and L-5 a number of years back. I do back exercises daily but the lower back seems to get really stiff as the day goes on, as well as really being stiff in the morning.

Just wondering if anyone here uses one and might have a recommendations to make, model, etc. Also surely this would qualify as a legitimate expense from my HSA account, wouldn't it ?

Appreciate any and all replies.

Forget about inversion tables. Forget about yoga stretching. This fully cured my misaligned spine and back pain. Also comes w a 5 yr warranty. My back feels brand new. Beats any chiropractor.

https://completehomespa.com/inada-flex-3s/

Last edited:
I've had fair amount of relief from spinal decompression thru chiropractor. put you on a table, strap you around hips and chest, and machine pulls. computer operated; pulls, releases, pulls, releases. most chiros charge extra for it and ins doesn't cover. fortunately, my chiro just lists it as normal therapy, so is covered. 3,4 sessions over couple weeks, good to go for few months

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom