Inversion Table For Lower Back Pain

frayne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Anyone here on the forum use one ? Comments, good, bad or indifferent. I have been diagnosed with a deteriorating disc between L-4 and L-5 a number of years back. I do back exercises daily but the lower back seems to get really stiff as the day goes on, as well as really being stiff in the morning.

Just wondering if anyone here uses one and might have a recommendations to make, model, etc. Also surely this would qualify as a legitimate expense from my HSA account, wouldn't it ?

Appreciate any and all replies.

My dad bought one on the spur of the moment and claims it helps him. I looked high and low for any studies or good material on them but couldnt find much except for people trying to sell them right next to the crystals and aural photographs.

My wife asked one of the doctors at work and he said he hadnt seen anything concrete about it, but doubted that being upside down for a few minutes here and there would do much for someone thats upright the other 23.75 hours.

He also had a spontaneous concern about increase in stroke potential or clotting issues, but I didnt get all of that.

No credible evidence on this that I could find. The theory is that it resembles traction which, in most ways, it really doesn't. When you invert, the vertebrae that were previously below the problem area simpy become the vertebrae that on on top of the problem area, and push down in a similar manner. They're not stretched apart like traction.

You could speculate that if the area is in the lumbar spine, there is less weight on that area upside down than standing upright, but heck, why not just lie supine and you have no weight on it at all. And then there is always the flukey case where the particulars favor a specific position or posture which the inversion brings about, and you get good relief.

Benjamin Disraeli used to stand on his head for 20 minutes daily. He felt it improved the circulation to his brain. Who am I to argue?

Just some ramblings.

No credible evidence on this that I could find. The theory is that it resembles traction which, in most ways, it really doesn't. When you invert, the vertebrae that were previously below the problem area simpy become the vertebrae that on on top of the problem area, and push down in a similar manner. They're not stretched apart like traction.

I thought that these things used ankle straps to suspend you- not vertically, but at some angle between vertical and horizontal?

Ha

Call now, and we'll include some kinoki foot pads ABSOLUTELY FREE.*

* Just pay $99.95 for shipping and handling...

I thought that these things used ankle straps to suspend you- not vertically, but at some angle between vertical and horizontal?

Yup, that's my understanding, too. It's all relative to the angle of the table but the principles apply whether fully inverted or partially so.

And once again, stop thinking those dirty old man thoughts.

My mother got one of these and claimed it helped. It's now gathering dust in the corner of a spare bedroom. I suspect it will soon go to the garage then eventually into to the trash dumpster.

Just looking at a purely meachical view: A bunch of sticks assembled one on top of the other in a vertical manner are in compression. Let' say there are felt washers between them. If we take the bottom stick and suspend it by what was its bottom. it would be difficult to have another under it, or any felt washers, without some connecting stuff.

If all of the sticks are connected with some strap and hung by the end, then the connecting straps would be in extension. With the weights adding up. Unloading the felt washers.

Edit add: Only the weight of the felt washers would push on the top of the hanging stick.

Can't say anything abut the medical value of extension.

The mechanical view of a body standing erect would show compression of connective material, while a body hanging by its ankles would show extension of connective material.

Another example, Light rail vehicles ride on carriages called trucks. In the center of these trucks is a pivot point to allow for turns. The body of the vehicle sits on these pivots, held by gravity only and shock absorbers..(could consider these shocks the connective material) If we turn the vehicle upside down holding the wheels the body will fall off--result of extension without connective material. The shock absorbers will rip apart, can't handle 80000lb or so.

Last edited:
Just looking at a purely meachical view: A bunch of sticks assembled one on top of the other in a vertical manner are in compression.

Yes, I see your point -- as long as the lower body was suspended completely and allowed to hang free. But to the extent the body was lying on the table and resisting free suspension (friction), there might be some load on the discs, although less than standing upright.

But lying horizontal in bed accomplishes complete disc unloading, too (at least in the axis of the spine), no?.

Sometimes I'll lie back on one of those big exercise ball things. Seems to help my back out a bit when it is feeling a bit stiff. I was kind of wondering about an inversion table, but no longer after this thread.

The shock absorbers will rip apart, can't handle 80000lb or so.

Then, by extension, I shouldn't use an inversion table because my massive brain will place undue strain on my spinal shock absorbers.

Yes, I see your point -- as long as the lower body was suspended completely and allowed to hang free. But to the extent the body was lying on the table and resisting free suspension (friction), there might be some load on the discs, although less than standing upright.

But lying horizontal in bed accomplishes complete disc unloading, too (at least in the axis of the spine), no?.

Looking at it mechanically, horizontal position would be neutral, thus accomplish unloading. Unloading amount would depend on the connective material's elasticity.
The further one deviates from horizontal towards inverted, the greater the extension load. Thus depending on the elasticity of the connective material, the space between sticks, or vertebrae, would get greater. Reaching maximum extension, and, by the allowance of connective stuff's elasticity the space between sticks ( vertebrae) at full inversion. Firction against the surface gets less as the angle gets closer to vertical.

PS. Mercifully humans are not made like Light Rail cars, Don't fall apart upside down.
grin.gif
Paraphrasing the science guy: try it you might like it.
wink.gif
wink.gif

Then, by extension, I shouldn't use an inversion table because my massive brain will place undue strain on my spinal shock absorbers.
Eh, you pays your money and takes your chances.
grin.gif
grin.gif

How is hanging by your feet different, relative to the spine, than hanging by your hands?

Back
Top Bottom