Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-06-2016, 11:18 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nowadays we've added some sketching to our travels. Driving around locally we have light folding chairs for setting up. On by-air travels we try to find a shady spot with a bench or rock or table that has interesting material to view. It takes you away from standing on your feet or walking your legs off and is much different then just snapping pictures.

A light kit would consist of a few drawing pens, a mechanical pencil, a light sketch book, a waterbrush (holds its own water), a small watercolor palette, plus paper napkins.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2016, 02:00 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I was thinking a kayak, a canoe, or perhaps even a small sailboat. One can enjoy getting out on the water with not too much money.
I have a folding kayak I bought in 1996. Not one of the expensive ones, just a Folbot. It breaks down into two canvas bags that you can toss in the trunk of any car, and I've used it in both the US and Canada in innumerable different bodies of water, both salt and fresh. It takes about 20 minutes from bag to water or vice versa. Low cost, low maintenance, and simplicity itself. But the enjoyment I've derived from it is enormous.

Quote:
I recall my life-long electronic hobby. Starting from my teenage years, I did not have a lot of money, so bought used electronics from salvage yards to get parts to play with.
This was my passion also. Growing up in NYC, I was able to use a 15 cent subway token to get to an unbelievable array of shops along Canal Street in lower Manhattan that had so much surplus military equipment they all needed multiple stories of their buildings just to hold it all (crammed in so tightly it took an hour or two just to walk through each store). Getting my amateur radio license only made the addiction that much worse.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:11 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Yes, electronics used to be simpler, and used parts more easily salvageable for reuse. By the time I was 15, I could read resistor color band values at a glance.

My early knowledge of electronics later paid back big time. In a university class, while my classmates were toiling with understanding the difference between PNP and NPN transistors, I already taught myself to read S or h-parameter characterizations (had no understanding of this when I was 15). I did not even bother to go to lectures, only read the textbook and went to class to take exams. Needless to say, I had the highest score in class, and impressed the heck out of the professor and the class.

But again, I digress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
This is actually a point of contention between DW and myself. I really don't like tours. Every side-trip, every photo carefully pre-planned for maximum tourist enjoyment. I call it the synthetic experience. I'd much rather bash around, make mistakes and let life happen. This does, of course, require more time.
Yes, doing everything yourself takes more time. But in ER, we have time. The difference is we are getting older, weaker, slower, and I am already thinking of a time in the future when we have to take a tour if we want to do foreign travel. Better hurry up and be going soon, I guess.

The OP talked about the wisdom of doing things like travel early, even if it may cause delay in your ER. My niece and her fiancÚ took time off to travel by bike in Europe for a month. Of course they did not have enough vacation time, and had to take time off without pay. When we were young, we never thought of doing that.

We have always liked to travel, and did quite a bit even when we were still working. We both travel for work too, but it was not the same. I spent many nights in Clearwater, FL, spread out over many trips. But to visit Orlando, Cape Canaveral, Ft. Lauderdale, or Key West we took many trips with our own time and on our own dime. We have been to SF for leisure so many times I lost count, and I would not count the couple of times I was there on business, and once spent all the time at the Moscone Center. Or I have been to the DC area (Bethesda) several times on business, but still made two separate trips there for leisure, such as to visit the Mall and the museums. And no business travel ever took us to any National Park. I was once in Haifa, the high-tech town of Israel, for a week and had time only to take a 1-day tour to the Dead Sea and Jerusalem. If I were there for leisure, it would not be so rushed.

So, if one likes to travel, he will always have itchy feet. I guess a time will come when the hassle is too much for the pleasure, but I still have a few years left in me.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:06 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
My early knowledge of electronics later paid back big time. In a university class, while my classmates were toiling with understanding the difference between PNP and NPN transistors, I already taught myself to read S or h-parameter characterizations (had no understanding of this when I was 15). I did not even bother to go to lectures, only read the textbook and went to class to take exams. Needless to say, I had the highest score in class, and impressed the heck out of the professor and the class.

But again, I digress.
Now you did it. I could have a nightmare over these memories (late 1960's for me).