Investment payoff I didn't expect...

Caroline

Full time employment: Posting here.
I just ran across this ad by accident -- it seems that a first edition of Terhorst's book is going for the princely sum of $200 these days.

http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?inkey=1-1131431839-0

Got mine for $10 or so at a library sale... when I said it was "the best investment I ever made," I meant it figuratively -- who knew I'd be literally right as well!

I'd better go iron out all the dog ears!!!! :eek:

I think its a trick. Anyone that'd pay $200 for a book on how to retire on the cheap is already miswired to be able to successfully ER.

Five bucks says the minute you fork over the $200 somebody jumps out from behind a shrub and says "GOTCHA!"

El Guapo said:
I think its a trick. Anyone that'd pay $200 for a book on how to retire on the cheap is already miswired to be able to successfully ER.
Five bucks says the minute you fork over the $200 somebody jumps out from behind a shrub and says "GOTCHA!"
No trick, capitalism in action, it comes & goes. Amazon used to list used copies of their books between $100-$200 from resellers targeting blissfully ignorant consumers. The Terhorsts even used to comment about this larceny on their website, but now they link to Amazon.

mickeyd said:
Can someone tell me how any "rare" book gets priced? I guess you could just ask for $200 and hope that someone caughs it up.
That's called an "appraisal" and you need to hire a trained & certified professional...

FWIW, plenty of "rare" first editions are available through abebooks.com starting at $3.50....

Gawdalmighty... this just in from Biblio.com. Seems the "first edition" bit is what costs you... you can get later editions used for $15.

New RE strategy -- check the 1st eds. out of the library - fail to return 'em and pay the replacement cost of a brand new copy, then sell the old ones for big bucks on the internet... why didn't I think of it sooner?

Biblio.com:

$405.00
($ 405.00)

Shipping rates

6. Cashing in on the American Dream : How to Retire at 35
Terhorst, Paul

Binding: Hardcover
Book condition: Good
Jacket condition: Good
ISBN: 0553052896

New York, NY, U.S.A.: Bantam Books, 1988 For anyone interested in living the good life without spending the rest of his or her days behind a desk, this book is both the ultimate fantasy and a practical guide to planning your early retirement. Underlining on about 5 of the pages.. Hard Cover. Good/Good. (more information)

Offered by Ventura Pacific Ltd. (California, United States)

Back
Top Bottom