iOS 11 and ad tracking

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
A newspaper article this morning reports that iOS11 will be released later this week, and it disables the kind of tracking that is carried out by Facebook and others, that follow you across the web and pester you with the same ads everywhere you go.
iOS 11, the latest version of Apple’s operating system for mobile devices, will hit users’ phones and tablets on Tuesday. It will include a new default feature for the Safari web browser dubbed “intelligent tracking prevention”, which prevents certain websites from tracking users around the net, in effect blocking those annoying ads that follow you everywhere you visit.
Article here https://www.theguardian.com/technol...-high-sierra-safari-internet?CMP=share_btn_tw

I'll wait a few days to see if there are any major bugs, but this is one OS release I am looking forward to.

Like the article says, you have to be using their Safari browser (not Chrome) to gain access to this feature. Since I have a couple Windows systems and a Linux box, I use Chrome to sync cross-platform (boomkarks, open pages, settings, etc.). Thus, I am presented with a Hobson’s Choice: keep Chrome and it’s benefits (but be tracked), or switch to Safari and it’s privacy (but lose the features I’ve come to rely on). Choices, choices...

I installed it last night on both pad and phone. So far so good.

There's talk of reduced battery life.

I have iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6S Plus.

Also ordered iPhone 8 Plus.

I wonder about updating the older devices. It would be at least the third OS for each and if it slows them down, reduces battery life, have to wonder if it would be worth it.

Still getting used to the changes, but it's a huge improvement on the iPad.

There's talk of reduced battery life.

That's not been my experience. I've been running iOS 11 on an old iPhone 5S since the WWDC and in the early betas of iOS 11 battery life was awful. But when the GM version came down the pike, I was getting better battery life on that phone than when it was running iOS 10.

The other explanation for "talk of reduced battery life" is two things: (1) when people get a new OS version they play with their phones a lot more to explore the new features and (2) there's extra works that the phone does after an update that does use extra power - Photos reanalyses your photos for example - and that completes in a day or so.

I've been running iOS 11 GM on my iPhone 6s+ for over a week and I'm now getting better batter life than I was before the upgrade.

Safari 11 is also available on the Mac, even for the older OS "El Capitan"

Installed on my phone and iPad. I think I like that new iPad keyboard :)

I've got it up on my Mac.

Turned all auto play videos to off - yeah!

Back
Top Bottom