Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-03-2010, 09:56 AM   #221
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
One of the most popular apps. for the iPad are programs with a large collection of recipes. There is one called Epicurious from Conde Nast. So with the bigger screen, there's going to be more content-rich apps. and that will require using more memory.
Yep - this is a going to be a HUGE one for me. The Epicurious web site is very good and I use it a lot and I will probably get that app (one of the very few ).

I am really tired of lugging my laptop to the kitchen! After 10 years, the internet made cookbooks (almost) obsolete for me. But having the laptop in the kitchen is a somewhat cumbersome, so I'm very much looking forward to using the iPad for this.

Also - I'll take the iPad with me to the grocery store as it will have my shopping list!

My personal recipe collection on my computer (mostly PDF files) is still less than 0.5G so no problem keeping that on the iPad.

Audrey

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2010, 10:01 AM   #222
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I lug my laptop on my trips too and always look for a place with Internet access.

If I only wanted to surf and view other content like movies, then it would be fine for that. With the 3G model, it would also make getting Internet access a lot easier, especially overseas.
Yeah - that's the primary motivation for us. Having our own device to use for internet access when traveling without having to lug around the laptop (which also contains so much sensitive personal data that I can't afford to lose it).

And even just running local errands - having maps, store info, etc. right at my fingertips. To do this today I would need an iPhone (and have to read the small screen).

When traveling, I will NEVER use someone else's computer to access my email account or banking web sites. But that's really all I need to do while traveling - unless I'm doing a bunch of photography in which case I really do need a laptop.

DH just came by and showed me that the 3G version has a "locator" function for when you can't find it, and even a remote "wipe" function - very useful if stolen!!!

Audrey

Old 04-03-2010, 10:36 AM   #223
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Photos of lines at Apple stores.
iPad Lines Go WILD (PICTURES): Send Us Your PHOTOS!
Old 04-03-2010, 10:52 AM   #224
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
Oh - this always happens at Apple Stores for a new product launch!

Personally, I can wait an extra month to get mine!

What I'm real curious about - is what does the iBookstore look like? Can I see it without an iPad? 30,000 free titles sounds good to me! This includes Project Gutenberg which means most of the royalty-free classics are covered - that's what I am most interested in.

Here is kind of a preview from several days ago - before the store is completely functional or populated. Sneak Peek: The iPad’s iBookstore « Mike Cane's iPad Test

Audrey
Old 04-03-2010, 11:15 AM   #225

Don't miss the iPeeps:
Peeps Want iPads Too (PHOTOS)
Old 04-03-2010, 12:44 PM   #226

We have our iPad and the ebooks is great. Personally I think you can say RIP Kindle. Personally I like the Apple technology where you turn the page with a flick of your finger. I find the font is really easy on the eye and it feels like you are reading a book, which I never really felt with a Kindle. Playing games is great on the iPad.

If I am travelling I would much prefer to take an iPad rather than a laptop which is overkill for what I would need. I would prefer to surf the net or read my emails on an iPad rather than the iPhone. I see room in my life for both an iPad and an iphone, but will probably forgo getting a laptop any time. Will stick with my Mac at home.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:54 PM   #227
Give me a forum ...

I thought this was hilarious (apologies if it's already been posted):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SHOULD-I-BUY-AN-IPAD.jpg (78.2 KB, 63 views)

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:28 PM   #228
Give me a forum ...

Cute flowchart - LOL!

Audrey
Old 04-03-2010, 01:35 PM   #229

The Kindle app. for iPad has also been released I believe. So Amazon has a bigger selection of eBooks now. Heard though that if you buy a book, it opens the web browser and you buy it that way, instead of within the app, as will be the case with iBooks, probably.

Amazon has said they will put in interactive and color features on their Kindle app. so in many ways, it's better than a Kindle reader. iBooks doesn't let you annotate, only bookmark words. Kindle supposedly lets you annotate.

Stanza is another iPhone app. which will supposedly be updated to iPad. I loaded a bunch of the Project Gutenberg classics but I haven't tried reading any of them yet.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:36 PM   #230
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Don't miss the iPeeps:
So funny--I love the Peeps lined up at the Apple store waiting for the big moment.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:54 AM   #231

Thanks everyone for all your replies. I'm really getting excited now. You all have given me even more ideas on how I can use an iPad (more than just surfing the web). I'm still gonna wait awhile though. I know when I bought my Kindle, about 2 weeks after I bought the Kindle 1 they came out with Kindle 2 and dropped the price of the 1.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:21 AM   #232

I'm going to wait for the clones.
Maybe:
http://www.electronista.com/articles...oid.interface/
or
http://www.fastcompany.com/blog/kit-...sis-future-one
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:29 AM   #233

There were iPod and iPhone knockoffs too but they never gained much traction except in some Asian countries.

There will be a lot of tablets, running Windows and Android. But you're probably better off buying from a big company which will support the product. So if not Apple, then see what Dell, HP and Microsoft come out with.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:47 AM   #234
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Don't miss the iPeeps:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
So funny--I love the Peeps lined up at the Apple store waiting for the big moment.
That is too funny. I actually plan to duck in there today when it rains on the Easter Parade.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:56 AM   #235

My main problem with the iPad is that it's too tied to Apple. There does not appear to be a USB port so there is no easy way to transfer music or other files to the device except through iTunes. Only the wifi and 3G models have a micro SD card tray and they will be the most expensive models. I have hundreds of tracks on my notebook computer that were all ripped from CDs I own; I refuse to go through iTunes for that music.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:09 PM   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
I have hundreds of tracks on my notebook computer that were all ripped from CDs I own; I refuse to go through iTunes for that music.
I'm probably going to regret this, but...

Do you just not like the iTunes interface or something?

iTunes is free, runs on both PC and Mac. and is DRM free (now, wasn't always). You can rip your CD collection, import it into iTunes, and then use iTunes to organize it with playlists and stuff. Sure, they want you to buy stuff at their store, but you don't have to.

Does anybody here run iTunes on a PC? Maybe it doesn't work very well on PCs. I don't know.

Why such strong feelings?
Old 04-04-2010, 12:18 PM   #237
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Does anybody here run iTunes on a PC? Maybe it doesn't work very well on PCs. I don't know.
I have iTunes on my laptop and it works perfectly. I have loaded my favourite CDs onto my laptop and synched them with my Blackberry. So I can now listen to my favourite music anywhere, for free.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:44 PM   #238

Quote:
I'm probably going to regret this, but...

Do you just not like the iTunes interface or something?

iTunes is free, runs on both PC and Mac. and is DRM free (now, wasn't always). You can rip your CD collection, import it into iTunes, and then use iTunes to organize it with playlists and stuff. Sure, they want you to buy stuff at their store, but you don't have to.

Why such strong feelings?
Thanks for the info, I have not kept up on iTunes. I had downloaded it when it first came out for the PC. I didn't like the DRM and had other software that did the job just as well so I uninstalled it and have pretty much ignored it since then. If it is DRM free that makes a big difference. I still don't like my files going through a server that I have no control of. I would trust it for ripped CD files but not for my documents. I spent many years working on an Air Force mission system and can be quite paranoid about the security of my files.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:55 PM   #239

Which documents go through iTunes?

Do you mean MobileMe, which is an optional online storage service?

You should be able to run iTunes to sync devices without any Internet connection. Then it can't phone home.

Now on the PC, iTunes is a dog and some companies have written their own software to support syncing on iPods but I don't know if those products are still around or being updated.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:59 PM   #240
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
Thanks for the info, I have not kept up on iTunes. I had downloaded it when it first came out for the PC. I didn't like the DRM and had other software that did the job just as well so I uninstalled it and have pretty much ignored it since then. If it is DRM free that makes a big difference. I still don't like my files going through a server that I have no control of. I would trust it for ripped CD files but not for my documents. I spent many years working on an Air Force mission system and can be quite paranoid about the security of my files.
When I first used iTunes I'm not even sure there was an iTunes store. I just used it to import my own CDs, label songs, organize playlists and download them to my iPod or play things on the computer. Never had to deal with DRM when it was music from my own CDs. It was years before I bought music via iTunes, mainly because I wanted higher resolution music which eventually appeared.

Of course, I have only used Macs at home, so I've never been worried about things being too "Apple centric" LOL! I trust Apple much more than I trust Microsoft with any of my files.

Audrey