Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-05-2010, 11:59 AM   #261
Full time employment: Posting here.

According to the Bloomberg article mentioned above, the 300,000 included "deliveries to channel partners" so there's no way to know how many of those actually sold. Will be interesting to see how well it sells in the next few months.
Lakedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2010, 12:02 PM   #262
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post

Personally, i'll wait for a year or two to consider any products in this category. Our 1 year old netbook does way more than the ipad and suits our family's needs very well currently.
hmmmm, in a little over a year, we will be shopping for our youngest ones college computer. Apple has had some kind of iPod promotion each summer/fall, so maybe iPads by then? Which means I might eventually get it as a hand me down, when they eventually move up.

Although, she has been using my Linux netbook the past few months, and that seems to be doing the job for her. That would be tempting, but I still don't know enough about Linux to be effective at troubleshooting it, esp long-distance, so we will probably go Apple again.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:09 PM   #263
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
Ummm, it HAS a 10 hour battery life.
However, it sounds like you want a netbook, which you already have. So I don't see why you would want the iPad to be turned into something you already have.
What I'm saying is, the competing non Apple device I am looking for has a longer battery life versus the netbook I currently own. I'm aware they have a stated "up to 10 hour battery life".

I would certainly consider losing the convenience of the built in keyboard a netbook offers if it had most other connectivity features (like a few usb connections) that would allow easy plug ins of existing peripheral devices (like a keyboard). Technologically I think we are 95% there. Trash the keyboard off a netbook, and superglue the touchscreen monitor to the guts of the netbook and you got it. Oh yeah, replace the 160 gb magnetic hard drive with a SSD drive. You don't get it for my $200 price point though!

I just need a very versatile extensible multipurpose customizable highly mobile computing/entertainment device. Cheap. = NETBOOK (for now).

Edit to add: Oh yeah, and one that can implement Flash in a web browser.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:45 PM   #264
Give me a forum ...

If this bunch of old pharts can come up with 263 messages about the iPad it must be a pretty big niche market.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:50 PM   #265
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
If this bunch of old [very wealthy highly technologically savvy some not so old] pharts can come up with 263 messages about the iPad it must be a pretty big niche market.
Bolded text mine.

Given that CNN.com had about 3 out of 9 of their headline news stories addressing the ipad phenomenon, it isn't too surprising all the chatter going around the internets!
Old 04-05-2010, 01:02 PM   #266
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
If this bunch of old pharts can come up with 263 messages about the iPad it must be a pretty big niche market.
Yep, I guess I should have said 'subset', rather than 'niche'. Those who like the iPod Touch for its small size may stay away; those who feel that if they are going to carry something bigger it needs the capabilities of a netbook may stay away.

But that clearly leaves a large market of people in the middle. A 'big niche', if you will.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:57 PM   #267
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My son works at an apple reseller, they sold out the first day with 50 units.

Apple's iPad: Will It Blend? - Mac Rumors
homestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:51 PM   #268
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Yep, I guess I should have said 'subset', rather than 'niche'. Those who like the iPod Touch for its small size may stay away.

ERD50
I'm one of those who was easily targeted for the iPad, because I enjoy my iPod Touch, but I've been frustrated by the small screen size for web surfing, and I wished to have some cell connectivity but didn't want an iPhone (too small anyway and $$ subscription and I don't care about voice).

So there have been a group of us out here just waiting for a bigger iPod.

Of course the additional functionality is a big deal too.

Some folks may like their small iPod Touch. I'll still use it as my music player. But I've been waiting for the iPad for a couple of years! I expect I'm not alone........ (well, obviously).

Audrey
Old 04-05-2010, 03:55 PM   #269
Give me a forum ...

Analysts do not expect the 3G version of the iPad to be quite as big as this initial release. I wonder why, as I am definitely waiting for 3G connectivity.

But the iPad will be launched internationally at the same time the 3G version is released - so that might boost the numbers.

Audrey
Old 04-05-2010, 06:09 PM   #270

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Ah yes but the rumour on the internet is that there is going to be a CDMA iPhone for Verizon later this year. So for all you people who are worried about AT&T coverage, your problem might be solved.
I have been following that rumor very closely, hope it is true. My Verizon contract will be up this fall and I would love to go with an iPhone; if it doesn't happen I will get a Droid.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:27 PM   #271

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Analysts do not expect the 3G version of the iPad to be quite as big as this initial release. I wonder why, as I am definitely waiting for 3G connectivity.
I was thinking the same thing (waiting for 3G that is).
But then my inner tech geek joined forces with my rational mind in a very rare alliance and convinced me to go get one now
I am rarely away from Wi-Fi, don't travel much at all, and ... well... dangit, I just couldn't wait 3 more weeks!
Old 04-05-2010, 07:35 PM   #272
Moderator Emeritus

I went to the Apple store this morning (shopping for a new AirPort Extreme), and I have to say that I had to wipe a bit of drool off my chin after test driving the iPad. Huuummm, I have a birthday coming up...

But I have heard that some people are having wifi connectivity problems (Apple forums). So, I'll wait a bit before jumping in.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:56 PM   #273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
...I carry my laptop around to my 'gaming' group. That is history as soon as the 3G model comes out.
I am planning on getting a digital reader, that will be the iPad.
I also like surfing the web whenever I find myself with some wait time (doctor office, just taking a break, car in shop, etc). If it was planned, I used my laptop, if not, I used by Iphone. Now, I will be using my iPad all the time.
Maps in the car, iPad.
Reading Magazines, iPad.
Classifieds (either newspaper, Craigslist or other), iPad.

Now, I know it won't fit everyone as well as it does me, but it certainly seems to be a large enough market to work with.
Final results of course won't be in for a few quarters. Heck, perhaps all 300k buyers were all developers and no one will be using it
I just ordered two iPads...one 3G and one Wifi. 3G for me, and Wifi for Wifey... for all the above reasons, plus a few others. Actually, we will both use both of the iPads interchangeably, but I will likely use the 3G for work alot, and DW will likely only need hers at home, so that is why the difference.

I travel with my company laptop all the time (not too heavy, but heavier than the iPad, and DW's laptop is definitely heavier - and she is frustrated with the slow speed of her Netbook and with the number of times it has been to the shop for repairs). The iPad will allow me to do all of the above, plus have my company email at hand wherever I am. Plus, it will only cost me $15 each time I visit the US instead of the usual $15-25 per day that the hotels charge for internet access.

...and (Audrey1 will appreciate this), when we get our RV, DW can look up camp sites while we are on the move...or hotels if we are in the car, or restaurants, or whatever, and actually be able to read them.

The clincher: I will only need to turn on the 3G when we visit the States, and turn it back off when we come back to Japan...all from the screen of the device itselft...no going to the AT&T store, no hassles. If we find we are in the States more often, we'll just leave it on. To counter the $15 per month charge, I just found out that we were still paying for an old dial-up (which was used to monitor our solar system until some parts failed and were not replaced), and canceled it ($13).

Am I excited? Absolutely! I love my iTouch that I got at Christmas. I will admit that if I did not have the iTouch, I would not understand the hysteria about this thing. My travel briefcase is going to get a lot smaller...no more books, no more paper magazines, no more cords (due to short battery life). I can hardly wait...DW's will arrive at our place in California in about 10 days, and mine will be in the first week of May.

R
Old 04-05-2010, 10:51 PM   #274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
I just ordered two iPads...one 3G and one Wifi. 3G for me, and Wifi for Wifey... for all the above reasons, plus a few others...
R
Thank you! That is an awesome idea. My wife mentioned the same idea just a little bit ago.
Not sure we will do that yet, but if she likes it, we may.
I am just not sure the 3G is worth it to me as I don't travel much. However, I would make use of it occasionally and it sure would be more convenient.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:21 AM   #275
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
...and (Audrey1 will appreciate this), when we get our RV, DW can look up camp sites while we are on the move...or hotels if we are in the car, or restaurants, or whatever, and actually be able to read them.
Yeah - it's nice to be able to look up stuff on the move.

Now in the RV we have this covered. We usually leave our RV wifi box plugged in while we are rolling so DH can grab his laptop and look things up as needed. Our RV wifi box has the cell card plugged in.

But there are technical issues - like resetting the box when it gets stuck, or the size of the laptop and it's bag. So grabbing the 3G iPad itself will be easier.

But I've been missing the internet connectivity when running around in the car since it's has not been practical to have a wifi box set up in the car (inverter needed for one thing)! That's just going to be great!

Audrey
Old 04-06-2010, 08:41 AM   #276

My DD and her DH each bought an ipad on the day they came out. They are huge Apple fans. They both started with ipods when they were in their mid teens, then went on to Apple laptops, an imac, iphones and now the ipads. They have always bought 2 of everything, except for the imac. My DD really likes her ipad.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:54 AM   #277
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
My DD and her DH each bought an ipad on the day they came out. They are huge Apple fans. They both started with ipods when they were in their mid teens, then went on to Apple laptops, an imac, iphones and now the ipads. They have always bought 2 of everything, except for the imac. My DD really likes her ipad.
Maybe when I feel like having adult kids (temporarily), I can borrow them?

LOL!

Audrey
Old 04-06-2010, 09:20 AM   #278
Give me a forum ...

I'm going to wait for the foldable iPad.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:24 AM   #279
Give me a forum ...

My ophthalmologist suggested the iPad may cause eye strain and dry eyes. He said it is probably better to use the soon to be released iDrop instead. Should help with the dry eyes. Only $399 and it comes with USB connectors.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:33 AM   #280

You got me.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote