Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #301
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
It just looks ergonomically HORRIBLE to hold that thing or use it for extended periods of time for most purposes that involve looking at the screen. ...
It is actually surprising nice to use for long periods of time

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #302
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
I had a few when I first turned it on. I did a 'hard reboot' and most of the issues disappeared.
Then I read up on what apple has posted about it. It SEEMS that people with a dual wireless router that runs two networks, one 2.4Ghz and one 5Ghz are having some issues.
They recommend making sure each network has a different name and something else I can't remember.
Changing the name of my second network seems to have eliminated the last 5% of the issues for me.
Thanks to you and Dangermouse for your responses regarding the wifi bugs. Well I am typing this on my DW's brand new iPad! Woohoo! My router is a dual band wireless router and so far no problems at all. The wifi signal seems strong and stable throughout the house. Hopefully it will continue. I had concerns about the ergonomics and usability of the keyboard too, but I have been pleasantly surprised so far. I can type as fast on this keyboard as I can on my desktop computer's keyboard actually! I have been reading a few newspapers on it and all I can say is "wow"!

Old 04-08-2010, 08:44 PM   #303

Just read that Steve Jobs said they have sold 450,000 iPads, 600,000 electronic books have been downloaded and 3.5 million applications loaded since the product went on sale last Saturday. Wonder how many they will have to sell for it to be considered a commercial success?

Also talks about the upcoming improvements to the next release of the iPhone with the introduction of multitasking.

Apple iPhone gets multi-tasking | News.com.au

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:45 PM   #304
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hey that's great about the ergonomics and keyboard. Just the things I was wondering about.

Audrey
Old 04-11-2010, 04:10 PM   #305
Give me a forum ...

This young lady has the ergonomics worked out....

Old 04-11-2010, 06:28 PM   #306
Administrator

What a cutie! She is having a ball. Looks like a lot of fun.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:26 PM   #307
Give me a forum ...

Oh wow! Now I know that Apple has 2.5 year olds in their user interface testing lab!

Amazing - she really knows how to use it!

Audrey

P.S. Daddy must have trained her on the iPod Touch!
Old 04-11-2010, 10:02 PM   #308

He did, the iPhone actually so she knew the basics. But I still love the fact that she could use it so easily.
It really is a very elegant interface.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:08 PM   #309
Moderator Emeritus

What I love about the iPad/iPod/iPhone, is how intuitive the interface is. No big manual to read. Just get your hands on it and start exploring.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:12 PM   #310

Should not have young children near cell phones.

That may also apply to the iPad with the 3G modem when that comes out.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:12 AM   #311

Went to the local Apple store on Saturday and it was actually heaving with people hovering around the iPads. Think they have a hit on their hands for sure.

Have to agree it is very intuitive and whereas previously I was thinking we would buy a laptop that is now out the window as iPad does everything we need it to do.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:17 AM   #312
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Went to the local Apple store on Saturday and it was actually heaving with people hovering around the iPads. Think they have a hit on their hands for sure.

Same here, heaving is a good word, every time I go by two stores. Of course, we both live in Ground Zeros for techies.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:48 AM   #313

Rave review from a surprising source.
Daily Kos: State of the Nation
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:12 AM   #314
Full time employment: Posting here.

I picked up an iPad on day 1, grabbed the Apple case a few days later. I hope to eventually replace all functions that I previously accomplished with my MacBook. Those areas where an app is unavailable I plan on transitioning to the Mac Mini. So far, so good.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:54 PM   #315
Give me a forum ...

I stopped in the Apple Store today to pick up an accessory as a gift. Started playing with the iPad.

WOW.

I already was amazed with the iPod Touch, but I underestimated the difference that the big screen makes. The gestures, and using the keypad just flow. It felt so good, so natural, so responsive.

I also wondered about how you would hold this thing and use it. I still wonder - in the store they very cleverly have these sitting on a little angled oval of soft, grippy rubber. So it is at a good angle and it doesn't shift around as you gesture and type. I picked it up to read, but I'm pretty sure I put it down to type - now what would I do at home? Maybe it isn't a problem at all, I'd need more time with it to tell.

But WOW, just WOW.

What I really want is a touchpad that size and capability to replace/augment my keyboard on my desktop. At your desk, you don't want to reach up to the screen. A really good touchpad would be wonderful I think.

-ERD50
Old 04-13-2010, 09:30 PM   #316
Moderator Emeritus

ERD50,

How do you hold this thing... For typing, I set it on my lap or a tabletop and type away (you can buy the Apple case which props up the iPad at the perfect angle when resting on a flat surface). Just like a laptop, typing on it with one hand while moving around is possible but a bit awkward. For reading, I just hold it with two hands. Or if I am reclining on a couch or on a bed, I just rest it on my stomach, hold it with one hand and use the other hand to navigate. But I think that some kind of case with a rubber coating is a must because the brushed aluminum case is quite slippery and it makes holding the iPad with one hand perilous (IMO) especially over long periods of time.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:41 PM   #317
Give me a forum ...

Thanks FD, I didn't look around for the cases, but that makes sense that you need something like that to help hold it. This thing is way cool.

-ERD50
Old 04-13-2010, 11:35 PM   #318

We tried to buy the Apple case on the weekend but they were all sold out. Personally I feel the case is essential from an ergonomics standpoint or you may end up with a stiff neck.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:11 AM   #319

The future of publishing?

h/t Andrew Sullivan
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:39 AM   #320
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
The future of publishing?
That is what I am REALLY looking forward to. Animated books!

And textbooks! I salivate at the possibilities for a biology etextbook.

And my field guides! I would LOVE to have my field guides on a iPad. Not just the bird ID reference, but the fact that the bird songs could now be included and played in the field.

Some folks already have bird guides and checklists on their iPod Touch/iPhone. I'm not sure there is a fully integrated animated bird eguidebook yet though.

Oh! The possibilities!

Audrey