Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-14-2010, 08:47 AM   #321
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
This young lady has the ergonomics worked out....
Wow - y'all!

This 2.5 year old had me so impressed that on Sunday I sent the video along to my Dad and my two brothers who each have iPhones.

Well, my youngest brother called me that evening to tell me he is going to be a Dad! I asked him - was it that 2.5 year-old using the iPad video?

This is the first grandchild on my side of the family. My poor Dad had to wait until 80 to have his first grandchild. I, who helped Mom raise my brothers, have decided that I'm old enough to be Grandma. My mother passed away 15 years ago, and I have played the matriarch role on and off as needed over the years - I think I'll take this one on!

And I think I'll buy the kid an iPad when he/she is 2.5 years old!

Audrey
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2010, 12:18 PM   #322
Moderator Emeritus

After playing with the iPad for the past week, I think that this device does a few things very, very well:

Internet surfing: a huge step up from the iPhone, due mostly to the larger screen and faster processor, almost as good as a full-size computer IMO, but much more interactive and tactile...

e-Reading: amazing, amazing, amazing... I have downloaded newspapers, books and magazines and the iPad shines in that area like no other device I have ever tried. My favorite newspaper gets downloaded directly to the iPad and it's like reading the actual paper without the ink stains. Magazines are even better, the pictures are vivid, crisp and gorgeous (even better than print). And even though I don't read that many e-books, the iPad is a great e-reader.

Media-rich content:
Pictures and movies look incredible on the iPad. It takes media-rich apps to the next level.

Games:
wow! The iphone was already a pretty cool gaming platform, but it's nothing compared to the iPad. It's a very tactile experience and, with the larger screen and I think better audio, it's like you are in the game.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:18 PM   #323
Give me a forum ...

Well - I just about can't wait to get mine! The wait for 3G is killing me!!!!

DH just ordered a new Mac powerbook. FINALLY! He's been waiting for the latest Intel chip and had to wait 109 days longer than usual for the upgrade. His current machine is 5 years old! And I got pretty tired of him complaining about machine performance.

I guess Apple's been really busy with the iPad. They've also delayed international release of the iPad because the US demand has been so high.

Audrey
Old 04-14-2010, 02:26 PM   #324
Give me a forum ...

Probably not the best thing to have tots or even young teenagers near electronic devices, especially cell phones.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:29 PM   #325
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Probably not the best thing to have tots or even young teenagers near electronic devices, especially cell phones.
Keep em away from food and water too - avoids choking and drowning hazards.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:44 PM   #326
Give me a forum ...

Food and water doesn't send electromagnetic emissions through their still-developing skulls.

The jury could be out on whether cell phones harm adult users. But even the most conservative studies advise limiting cell phone use until the users are adults.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:38 PM   #327
Recycles dryer sheets

My Ipod Touch has lousy wifi connectivity. It will not connect in most parts of my house where my laptop has no problem getting connected. Is the Ipad any better with wifi?
treypar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:57 PM   #328
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Food and water doesn't send electromagnetic emissions through their still-developing skulls.

The jury could be out on whether cell phones harm adult users. But even the most conservative studies advise limiting cell phone use until the users are adults.
Good point.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:45 PM   #329
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta View Post
My Ipod Touch has lousy wifi connectivity. It will not connect in most parts of my house where my laptop has no problem getting connected. Is the Ipad any better with wifi?
Some people have reported wifi connectivity issues (weak signal, sudden loss of signal, etc...) but I have had no problems whatsoever.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:13 PM   #330
Give me a forum ...

I underestimated the versatility of the iPad. Apparently it is more powerful than I originally thought. Or Norway is overly simplistic...

Quote:
The prime minister of Norway was among those stranded by the closure of European air space.

Jens Stoltenberg [Prime Minister of Norway], who was in the United States for President Obama's nuclear summit, is running the Norwegian government from the U.S. via his new iPad, press secretary Sindre Fossum Beyer said.
(emphasis mine)

Volcanic ash cloud causes air travel chaos - CNN.com
Old 04-15-2010, 07:37 PM   #331
Moderator Emeritus

Spent about 30 minutes with an iPad today at the Apple Store. Really, I am trying very hard to figure out why this device would make sense for me - I am a long term, big Apple fan.

Maybe the electronic book thing is the "killer app" for this device. But I'm not yet feeling the love. Onscreen keyboard does not suit me. The constraints on multitasking are notable. Cut and paste - same clumsy deal as the iPhone. The price point is high if OK but add in even the highly competitive 3G subscription and I'm not so convinced.

I guess I'll stick with a smart phone and a netbook for travel, in addition to my desktop Mac. Maybe the next generation device will lure me in. Or maybe when my Kindle dies. So far, I am impressed by the design, but not by the functionality benefits.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:06 PM   #332
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Spent about 30 minutes with an iPad today at the Apple Store. Really, I am trying very hard to figure out why this device would make sense for me - I am a long term, big Apple fan.

Maybe the electronic book thing is the "killer app" for this device. But I'm not yet feeling the love. Onscreen keyboard does not suit me. The constraints on multitasking are notable. Cut and paste - same clumsy deal as the iPhone. The price point is high if OK but add in even the highly competitive 3G subscription and I'm not so convinced.

I guess I'll stick with a smart phone and a netbook for travel, in addition to my desktop Mac. Maybe the next generation device will lure me in. Or maybe when my Kindle dies. So far, I am impressed by the design, but not by the functionality benefits.
I would love to buy one, simply because it looks so pretty and it looks like a lot of fun. But honestly, I don't think I have any excuse to do it. I am already happy with my Kindle for reading, and I don't need to pay for 3G every month. Oddly, the facts that the Kindle fits in my purse and that it is light enough to easily hold in one hand, are a lot more important to me than I would ever have thought.

For example, today after lunch Frank unexpectedly stopped off to get a slow tire leak fixed on his Murano. While he was inside talking to the mechanic, I sat in comfort in the Murano reading. I would never have thought I would need the Kindle just to go to lunch, but when the need arose I had it with me.

But gosh, that gorgeous color touch-screen on the iPad looks magnificent, doesn't it?! Maybe I will buy one if I can justify it to myself. I really don't want to get committed to paying for 3G every month so I'd probably just use wi-fi, same as my laptop.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Running a country? There's an app for that.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:37 PM   #333
Give me a forum ...

Running a country? There's an app for that.

So, how did the Prime Minister of Norway get his iPad if they have not been released abroad?

Stranded leader runs country by iPad - CNN.com
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:03 PM   #334
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
So, how did the Prime Minister of Norway get his iPad if they have not been released abroad?

Stranded leader runs country by iPad - CNN.com
He probably got his iPad while he was in the US last week.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:44 PM   #335
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I finally had a good reason to drive the 150 miles to Fargo so stopped and checked out the iPad. I agree with Rich. It's a very nice machine and the interface is very good. The features I would use the most just don't justify the price.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:24 PM   #336
Moderator Emeritus

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:09 PM   #337
Moderator Emeritus

Well, it turns out I missed having the 3G connectivity on my wifi-only iPad. But since I was not super ecstatic about having another device tied to AT&T's 3G network, I decided to keep my wifi-only iPad and get a mifi 2200 from Verizon. It works great.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:44 PM   #338
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
Well, it turns out I missed having the 3G connectivity on my wifi-only iPad. But since I was not super ecstatic about having another device tied to AT&T's 3G network, I decided to keep my wifi-only iPad and get a mifi 2200 from Verizon. It works great.
That's funny!

Since we had our other stuff (cell phones, data card) tied to Verizon, we never got an iPhone, and seriously, I wasn't wiling to commit to the subscription and thought it too $$$ anyway since I only cared about data.

So the iPad will be our only device connected to AT&T network. But the data subscription price is right - so OK!

The 3G iPads will start shipping on May 7. I'm still going to wait until after that to order mine - "when the dust settles"

Audrey
Old 04-29-2010, 03:52 PM   #339
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Being an iPhone user, I am not a fan of AT&T.
However, I HAD a 3G mobile usb device for my laptop from ATT.
The 3G iPad will let me dump that and save money on the monthly bill AND allow me to do that without a contract.
Win Win for me, but I am looking forward to when other carriers start offering service for the iPhone.
Rumor has it that a Verizon version of the iPhone is due out this fall
Old 04-29-2010, 04:20 PM   #340
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am waiting for a Sprint iphone as well.

My 20 y.o. son is anxiously awaiting the delivery of his 3G ipad tomorrow. So much so he keeps updating the shipping website to see where it is. I believe he has too much time on his hands.