Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-29-2010, 05:27 PM   #341
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

His is due tomorrow! I guess that May 7 date is for folks who ordered yesterday.

Audrey

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2010, 05:30 PM   #342
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
His is due tomorrow! I guess that May 7 date is for folks who ordered yesterday.

Audrey

I think the deadline was April 15th or something like that, IIRC. Ironic it was tax day.....

Old 04-29-2010, 06:47 PM   #343
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Deadline to order online and get on 4/30 was 4/18. Orders from 4/19 on have the May 7 date.

I have decided to take the plunge and get one, still sort of on the fence on what size to get. Will try to get one from a store this weekend and if can't will order one.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:14 PM   #344

Oops. I kinda accidentally bought one. Actually, it is all Dreamer's fault. I was reading the "What have your read lately" thread
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post924385
and thought how nice it would be to just be able to click and order.

Have to say that I love it. I'm afraid that my laptop isn't going to get much use from now on, Photoshop and playing with Mathematica, but web surfing will pretty much all be on the iPad. This post however, is from my laptop, because I wanted to post a pic of one of the delightful surprises an iPad.

I was reading "Step on a Crack" and wanted to loop up "skirl". I figured that I would try out the copy and paste feature and Google up the word, so I double clicked on the word and the iPad offered to look it up for me!
It found it too, good dictionary.
photo.PNG

I am still learning to touch type on it, but it is much easier than I thought. Its auto-correct feature is great. It seems to know what keys are next to each other, so it makes very astute guesses at what you meant. You do have to be very careful to keep an eye on what it is doing though, or you can introduce a whole new class of typos.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:19 PM   #345
Moderator Emeritus

Just a tip: you can take a picture of whatever is currently on your iPad screen by holding down the sleep button and pressing the home button at the same time. You will hear a "click" and you will find the picture of your screen in "photos".

Just like that (picture taken on my iPad and posted here from the iPad without help from a laptop). And no, I am not really reading Winnie the Pooh...

Also check out the "photogene" app. It's like a mini photoshop app. Great stuff.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:41 PM   #346
Administrator

How terrific to hear that you all have received, and are enjoying your new iPads! They do look nice.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:17 PM   #347

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post

Oops. I kinda accidentally bought one. Actually, it is all Dreamer's fault. I was reading the "What have your read lately" thread
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post924385
Alright! I have inspired someone to buy an Ipad. I am so glad that you are enjoying it too. I would feel terrible if you did not like it. I wish that I could inspire myself to buy one too.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:00 PM   #348

Oh, I should not have gone into the Apple Store last week! I was mildly curious about the iPad after reading all the reviews and the posts on this thread, so I went to see it for myself.

An hour later, I was hooked! Gotta have it, I decided, but not exactly an impulse purchase. Certainly not a "need" purchase either, but most definitely on the "wanted" list.

Imagine my surprise when DD called and asked me if I'd like an iPad for a very special Mother's Day gift! I told her it was much too expensive a gift, but she and DH wanted to get it for me...how could I refuse??

A shiny new iPad 3G is on order and is to be delivered by May 15...won't make it in time for Mother's Day, but who cares! I'm as excited as a kid waiting for Christmas morning!
Old 05-03-2010, 10:37 PM   #349

Sounds like it's making a lot of sales to people who get hands-on time with it. Even those who skeptically dismissed it as just as oversized iPhone.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:10 PM   #350
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiever51 View Post
A shiny new iPad 3G is on order and is to be delivered by May 15...won't make it in time for Mother's Day, but who cares! I'm as excited as a kid waiting for Christmas morning!
Happy Mother's Day! What thoughtful kids you have.

Audrey

P.S. I will be ordering mine soon....
Old 05-04-2010, 06:09 AM   #351

Went to the Apple Store last Sat - we had to wait in line to get in. I'm impressed with the Ipad, but didn't pull the trigger. I need something to make sketches and hand notes. I think I found an app for that, so I'll be back to get one.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:29 AM   #352

There's also suppose to be a special pen available for doing handwriting.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:30 AM   #353
Moderator Emeritus

The iPhone and now the iPad really have affected our culture. Here's a story on vending machines that look like giant iPhones. The interesting thing to me is that the iPod/Phone/Pad hand actions that manipulate the screens are second nature now to a lot of people:

iPhone-like vending machines - chicagotribune.com

From the story:

Quote:
...Kraft's Diji-Touch resembles the menu on an iWhatever and offers images of those chips or candy bars. Tap it, the image enlarges. Brush the screen, the item swivels, allowing a peek at ingredients or nutritional information. "For 20 or 30 years nothing much new has happened with vending machines," said Kelly Brennan, a Kraft marketing manager. "This is the next step."

,,,,Your first instinct is to swipe your hand across the front, and flip through the brands the machine holds. "...We have kids walk up to it (a handful of the machines are being tested in shopping malls) and try to enlarge the images with their fingers. It's incredible how much Apple has influenced our basic actions."
Old 05-04-2010, 10:07 AM   #354
Moderator Emeritus

My favorite handwriting app is called "penultimate". It is fantastic.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:30 AM   #355
Give me a forum ...

And once you are fully trained:

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:58 AM   #356

Actually, those touch screen gestures are patented or Apple is trying to patent them.

They've already sued a rival phone manufacturer and if they succeed with that suit, you can expect more of the same.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:41 PM   #357
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Went to the Apple Store last Sat - we had to wait in line to get in. I'm impressed with the Ipad, but didn't pull the trigger. I need something to make sketches and hand notes. I think I found an app for that, so I'll be back to get one.
My Sony eReader has the sketch and handwriting capability. It's pretty nice. Useful.

I just bought 3 iPads for the video test lab (I have a little (tiny) business buying unusual equipment for the company I used to work for), and have to admit to being impressed. Being a world-class cheapskate, though, I'll wait for the eReader to die before shelling out for the iPad. Hopefully the price will drop by about half by then.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:02 AM   #358

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Actually, those touch screen gestures are patented or Apple is trying to patent them.

They've already sued a rival phone manufacturer and if they succeed with that suit, you can expect more of the same.
Apple has had a history of actions like that for at least the last 25 years.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:41 AM   #359

One, Apple is the target of a lot of patent suits, often by parties who've never produced anything but managed to get a vague patent. For instance, they just got sued by a company which has a patent for a portable computer with wireless access to the Internet. The company never produced even a prototype of the thing. They got the patent in '99.

Two, the patents you get, you have to defend. If you let one party use patents without paying royalties, then other parties will as well, in which case there's no point in having gotten the patent in the first place.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:17 AM   #360

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
My Sony eReader has the sketch and handwriting capability. It's pretty nice. Useful.

I just bought 3 iPads for the video test lab (I have a little (tiny) business buying unusual equipment for the company I used to work for), and have to admit to being impressed. Being a world-class cheapskate, though, I'll wait for the eReader to die before shelling out for the iPad. Hopefully the price will drop by about half by then.
I'm waiting for the price to go down too - if not I'll get an etch a sketch - thats really what I want