Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2010, 11:58 AM   #361
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Katsmeow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,397
Sigh.

After dithering about it, I decided I would leap for the 3G iPad. By that time I knew that if I ordered online the fastest I would have it in my hands (if I paid for overnight delivery) was 5/10. So I decided to try to pick one up in a store. The stores around here have been out of stock.

So today DH went over to the apple store in the mall next to his office. He called to tell me that if I wanted one that the store had in stock a 64GB 3G iPad. Did I want it?

Yes. I was so happy.

A few minutes later he told me that when the sales clerk went to get it another clerk had just sold it to someone else and it was their last one. They think that they will have more tomorrow or the next day. So he put me on the waiting list.

Sigh, again.
__________________

__________________
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2010, 04:47 PM   #362
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DangerMouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 1,812
Resistance is futile, you may as well just go with the flow and buy one of the darn things.
__________________

__________________

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:10 PM   #363
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
IndependentlyPoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 1,142
Gaack! I've had my iPad for less than a week and I have already spent $30 on books and apps. Resistance is indeed futile.
__________________
Start by admitting
from cradle to tomb
it isn't that long a stay.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:02 PM   #364
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,422
So some feedback on which apps. and books are good would be good.
__________________
explanade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:18 PM   #365
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
harley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Following the nice weather
Posts: 6,428
The free ones, I would guess.
__________________
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers, or maybe Sam Clemens
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:38 AM   #366
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 607
I have a second-hand iPhone and like it a lot, but the closed nature of Apple really bothers me. Also, in the interest of protecting the user and making things easier, they simply remove functionality. Their Airport Extreme router is a great example of this.

I went to the Apple store last week and tried out the iPad and absolutely loved it! 1080p video was just gorgeous on this thing. I just wish this thing had a USB port where I could plug in a memory stick or a SD slot. Instead, there is a proprietary adapter to USB connector that can be used to hook up to a camera-only! I'm sure someone will jailbreak this so that other external devices to be connected.
__________________
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:03 AM   #367
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,422
It doesn't support 1080p video I don't think.

They can hack the software but doubtful it would support various peripherals unless someone writes drivers for them.
__________________
explanade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:25 AM   #368
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderALot View Post
I have a second-hand iPhone and like it a lot, but the closed nature of Apple really bothers me. Also, in the interest of protecting the user and making things easier, they simply remove functionality. Their Airport Extreme router is a great example of this.

I went to the Apple store last week and tried out the iPad and absolutely loved it! 1080p video was just gorgeous on this thing. I just wish this thing had a USB port where I could plug in a memory stick or a SD slot. Instead, there is a proprietary adapter to USB connector that can be used to hook up to a camera-only! I'm sure someone will jailbreak this so that other external devices to be connected.
These parallel my general concerns about the iPad. Very expensive to get one, then very expensive and time consuming/cumbersome to get compatible peripherals and apps to do what I already do on all my other computing devices.

I have a nice $200 netbook that suits my needs very well. It can do a lot of things that the iPad can't do. And the netbook obviously can't do a lot of things the iPad can do.

Take photography for example. I pop the SD card out of my camera, pop it into my netbook's SD slot, double click slideshow from the auto-run menu, and in about 15 seconds I have an instant slideshow for the day's photos and videos for family and friends to watch, albeit on a 10" screen. WAAAY better than huddling around a 2.5" LCD camera screen and flipping through pics and vids. Sure, sure, I know, you can do this with iPad. Just get out your adapter for the SD card or Camera adapter, then get out your case or stand so you can prop up the iPad, and 5 minutes later, once you got it all set up (and your friends/family have moved on to more interesting things) you can watch your slideshow all by yourself!!

The one thing I love most about the iPad is the rave reviews. This means other manufacturers (Dell, HP, Asus, etc) will produce cheaper, better, faster, PC-world compatible touch screen tablets very soon. Maybe then this cheap bastid can afford to get a $200 ipad knock off.
__________________
Retired in 2013 at age 33. Keeping busy reading, blogging, relaxing, gaming, and enjoying the outdoors with my wife and 3 kids (5, 11, and 12).
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:47 AM   #369
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
The one thing I love most about the iPad is the rave reviews. This means other manufacturers (Dell, HP, Asus, etc) will produce cheaper, better, faster, PC-world compatible touch screen tablets very soon. Maybe then this cheap bastid can afford to get a $200 ipad knock off.
Remember before the announcement the rumors were that iPads would be around $1000?

It seems the other manufacturers had to scramble to make $500 touch-screen tablets. HP is said to be canceling their Slate tablet because performance and battery wasn't up to snuff, not to mention Windows 7 wasn't as slick on a tablet.

Lenovo put out a "convertible" Ideapad but it's gotten weak reviews for being slow.

So it may be later this year at the earliest before someone puts out a competitive product. And it needs to come from a big company, none of these startups which may not be around next week to support the product after the sale.
__________________
explanade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:55 AM   #370
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
calmloki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Independence
Posts: 5,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
....

The one thing I love most about the iPad is the rave reviews. This means other manufacturers (Dell, HP, Asus, etc) will produce cheaper, better, faster, PC-world compatible touch screen tablets very soon. Maybe then this cheap bastid can afford to get a $200 ipad knock off.
Plenty cheap here too - but still not seeing the Iphone knockoffs that are anywhere comparable to the original. Might be a long wait for an Ipad clone.
__________________
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:56 AM   #371
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 16,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderALot View Post
I went to the Apple store last week and tried out the iPad and absolutely loved it! 1080p video was just gorgeous on this thing. I just wish this thing had a USB port where I could plug in a memory stick or a SD slot. Instead, there is a proprietary adapter to USB connector that can be used to hook up to a camera-only! I'm sure someone will jailbreak this so that other external devices to be connected.
The iPad is just not designed to work like a computer with peripherals. Just load the photos from your computer onto your iPad using the USB cable that comes with the iPad. No need for special devices or cables.

The iPad won't replace a desktop or laptop for using peripherals like cameras and printers and external drives, etc. - it's not intended to do that.

Audrey

P.S. The "proprietary" nature of Apple products never bothered me at all. That's what it takes to make them so user friendly. The fact that they support third party software developers makes it open enough for me.
__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:07 AM   #372
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Remember before the announcement the rumors were that iPads would be around $1000?

It seems the other manufacturers had to scramble to make $500 touch-screen tablets. HP is said to be canceling their Slate tablet because performance and battery wasn't up to snuff, not to mention Windows 7 wasn't as slick on a tablet.

Lenovo put out a "convertible" Ideapad but it's gotten weak reviews for being slow.

So it may be later this year at the earliest before someone puts out a competitive product. And it needs to come from a big company, none of these startups which may not be around next week to support the product after the sale.
I don't mind waiting a year or two or three.
__________________
Retired in 2013 at age 33. Keeping busy reading, blogging, relaxing, gaming, and enjoying the outdoors with my wife and 3 kids (5, 11, and 12).
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:18 AM   #373
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Plenty cheap here too - but still not seeing the Iphone knockoffs that are anywhere comparable to the original. Might be a long wait for an Ipad clone.
I'm no cell phone person (my throw away tracfone has been forgotten on the kitchen counter all week), but I think the Droid Incredible is getting pretty rave reviews and looks to be better in many respects than the iphone.
__________________
Retired in 2013 at age 33. Keeping busy reading, blogging, relaxing, gaming, and enjoying the outdoors with my wife and 3 kids (5, 11, and 12).
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:42 AM   #374
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
The iPad is just not designed to work like a computer with peripherals. Just load the photos from your computer onto your iPad using the USB cable that comes with the iPad. No need for special devices or cables.

The iPad won't replace a desktop or laptop for using peripherals like cameras and printers and external drives, etc. - it's not intended to do that.

Audrey
I think you will be surprised at how much you can do on an iPad. Assuming you use you laptop like most people do (email, internet, word processing, banking, calendar, playing games, watching videos, storing your photos, etc...) the iPad could easily replace a laptop. It has completely replaced mine for sure.

The one adapter I use a lot is the SD card adapter which makes it easy to transfer my photos from a camera to the iPad for sharing. The adapter is tiny and light, no bother at all. I love the virtual keyboard on the iPad and I think that an external keyboard is superfluous (my Apple wireless keyboard works great with it though). Even a dock in unnecessary IMO (I still don't have one and don't plan on buying one either). Printing is easy and requires no external adapter, cable or driver. You just need to have a printer on the network you are sharing and you can connect to the printer via wi-fi. No need to install drivers as you jump from printer to printer either. In the end, if you compare the size and weight of a netbook + power adapter to the size and weight of an iPad + power adapter + SD card reader, the iPad still wins by a huge margin. As for external drives, yes you can't connect them directly to your iPad but if you use cloud computing services like google docs, external drives are mostly irrelevant anyways (who wants to lug around an external drive?). In the odd chance you need to transfer docs directly from your desktop, it can be done easily with no cable and no adapter using simply a wi-fi transfer.
__________________
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:49 AM   #375
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,526
Firedreamer,

I use google docs for most of my commonly accessed and frequently edited word docs and spreadsheets. But there are a number that I keep in excel only due to the nature and complexity of the spreadsheet. Can ipad run an excel app or an excel-compatible app (open office??)?
__________________
Retired in 2013 at age 33. Keeping busy reading, blogging, relaxing, gaming, and enjoying the outdoors with my wife and 3 kids (5, 11, and 12).
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:53 AM   #376
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Firedreamer,

I use google docs for most of my commonly accessed and frequently edited word docs and spreadsheets. But there are a number that I keep in excel only due to the nature and complexity of the spreadsheet. Can ipad run an excel app or an excel-compatible app (open office??)?
yes, there are a number of apps that allow you to read and edit word and excel documents. I use an app called "office2 HD". It can connect to your Google docs folder and it allows you to edit your word and excel docs. Of course, you can also edit your Google docs directly in your internet browser too, by simply logging in to Google docs in Safari.

Edit: Office2 HD is a mobile app so you may not have access to some of the more advanced functionality of the desktop version of Word and Excel.
__________________
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:03 AM   #377
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
IndependentlyPoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 1,142
What FIREdreeamer says is true. Nevertheless, I believe that it all come down to expectations. If you purchase an iPad for ebooks, web surfing and email, you will be delighted. It can do much more than that. However, if you expect it to be a replacement for a laptop you are likely to be frustrated and disappointed.

I imagine it could be great for a businessman's travel computer, if the size of a laptop is really a problem. Apple offers its Word, Excel, and Powerpoint "replacements" really cheap, but I imagine that their functionality is limited. Probably OK for reviewing and editing a presentation on a plane, but not for serious work.

I also think it would be great for computer-phobic folks... One's parents for example.

For the rest of us, it is a great gadget and luxury.

(I am typing this on my ipad while being seriously cool at a bakery and coffee shop.)
__________________
Start by admitting
from cradle to tomb
it isn't that long a stay.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:14 AM   #378
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post

I imagine it could be great for a businessman's travel computer, if the size of a laptop is really a problem. Apple offers its Word, Excel, and Powerpoint "replacements" really cheap, but I imagine that their functionality is limited. Probably OK for reviewing and editing a presentation on a plane, but not for serious work.
Well it may not be "serious work" but I am in the process of typing a 100+ page cookbook in "Pages" on my iPad. At first, I too thought that the functionality of "pages" and "numbers" (Apple's version of word and excel) was too limited, but it's really because I did not truly understand how these apps worked. Their functionality is actually quite extensive and the results are absolutely beautiful.

But you are right about expectations. The people I know who have been disappointed with the iPad really expected it to be a cheap and tiny version of a Macbook Pro. That it ain't.
__________________
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:15 AM   #379
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,422
HTC Incredible has great specs. but lets see what the new iPhone has in a month or two.

Thing about the Android phones is that they're not any cheaper (at least when they're released) buy upfront or the contract price to use them.

For people who like to tinker, they may be appealing but iPhone has all the apps. and peripherals/accessories support.

Same will likely be true of iPad.
__________________
explanade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:22 AM   #380
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 16,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
I think you will be surprised at how much you can do on an iPad. Assuming you use you laptop like most people do (email, internet, word processing, banking, calendar, playing games, watching videos, storing your photos, etc...) the iPad could easily replace a laptop. It has completely replaced mine for sure.

The one adapter I use a lot is the SD card adapter which makes it easy to transfer my photos from a camera to the iPad for sharing. The adapter is tiny and light, no bother at all. I love the virtual keyboard on the iPad and I think that an external keyboard is superfluous (my Apple wireless keyboard works great with it though). Even a dock in unnecessary IMO (I still don't have one and don't plan on buying one either). Printing is easy and requires no external adapter, cable or driver. You just need to have a printer on the network you are sharing and you can connect to the printer via wi-fi. No need to install drivers as you jump from printer to printer either. In the end, if you compare the size and weight of a netbook + power adapter to the size and weight of an iPad + power adapter + SD card reader, the iPad still wins by a huge margin. As for external drives, yes you can't connect them directly to your iPad but if you use cloud computing services like google docs, external drives are mostly irrelevant anyways (who wants to lug around an external drive?). In the odd chance you need to transfer docs directly from your desktop, it can be done easily with no cable and no adapter using simply a wi-fi transfer.
Well, I expect it to replace my laptop for a lot of things, but not for my projects (creative projects).

I never transfer my photos directly from camera to slide show. I do quite a lot of photo processing/editing first. This will never change as I am a fairly serious photographer.

I do a lot of other computer-based creative projects too using professional graphics and text tools that won't run on a iPad and just require too much manual manipulation anyway. My financial tracking too requires tools that would be awkward to run on an iPad. I don't want to carry around my financial docs on my iPad anyway - too sensitive.

I will happily use both, and slave the iPad to my laptop when needed. The division of labor is pretty clear from my point of view.

Audrey
__________________

__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:20 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.